[hercules-390] Z/OS 1.9 configuration to permit FTP and DB2 connection to external hosts
matteo_ferrari@yahoo.com [hercules-390]
2018-07-18 13:17:07 UTC
Hi all,
doing some tests to run Z/OS 1.9 ADCD for learning purposes on Hercules and it looks like working really well.
I would like to do some tests using FTP and connecting to DB2 DB9G from an external host.
I am running Hercules on Linux on a MacBook.
Do you have any suggestion on what to do to make both services work? Both on Hercules configuration and inside Z/OS ?

Thx a lot
Matteo
John Murray john.ar.murray@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-07-18 13:23:35 UTC
zOS’s impletation of FTP includes a JES interface that you can use to submit jobs to JES and get the sysout back. I have a Python script that does all that. Submitting a job to JES, even a simple br14, willl give you confidence that a) zOS works and b) your network interface wrks as well.

I’m running zOS under Hercules on an iMac.

BTW, ADCD 1.9? Do you have connections with IBM?

John Murray

2 Avenue de Peterhof
Paris 75017
France
Matteo
Matteo Ferrari matteo_ferrari@yahoo.com [hercules-390]

Matteo
John Murray john.ar.murray@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-07-18 14:18:00 UTC
On my copy, which may be as old as 1.2 or 1.1, FTP is available automagically once the tcp/ip stack initializes. And just as a tip, you have to set up something like this in ADCD.Z110S.TCPPARMS(PROFILE):

DEVICE CTCDEVICE CTC E20
LINK CTCLINK CTC 1 CTCDEVICE
HOME 192.168.0.210 CTCLINK

BEGINRoutes
ROUTE 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 = CTCLINK MTU DEFAULTSIZE
ROUTE DEFAULT 192.168.0.25 CTCLINK MTU DEFAULTSIZE
ENDRoutes

This depends of course on how you set up the CTC in Hercules and your local addresses, etc. This file, BTW, has most of the stack initialization stuff in it, including some lines like:

AUTOLOG 5
FTPD JOBNAME FTPD1 ; FTP Server
LPSERVE ; LPD Server
NAMESRV ; Domain Name Server
NCPROUT ; NCPROUTE Server
PORTMAP ; Portmap Server
; OROUTED ; RouteD Server
; RXSERVE ; Remote Execution Server
; SMTP ; SMTP Server
; OSNMPD ; SNMP Agent Server
; SNMPQE ; SNMP Client
; TCPIPX25 ; X25 Server
ENDAUTOLOG

Which I believe tells (some part of) zOS to start the FTP daemon. You should also see a section where port numbers are assigned, etc. If your ADCD is configfuredd like mine, a lot of the system config stuff is in ADCD datasets which get appended to the SYS1 datasets. That took me a while of poking about to establish.

And then finally, you should see FTPD being started up on the zOS console. Once it’s up you should be able to send and receive files.

John Murray

2 Avenue de Peterhof
Paris 75017
France
Matteo
erwin.marschalk@gmx.net [hercules-390]
2018-07-18 18:04:36 UTC
Hi Matteo,

most of the necessary MVS TCP definitions are in Johns message. A complete explanation is on page http://www.hercules-390.org/herctcp.html http://www.hercules-390.org/herctcp.html

The key point is, if you would go out of your hercules host, you need to define the necessary routes on your PC, linux, MAC.

Erwin