WYLBUR, ORVYL (MILTEN and friends).
david_dodds_2001
2006-07-14 20:11:17 UTC
I noticed that a little while ago there was some interest in having
SSP on our Hercules system. Having used SSP in a previous lifetime as
model making programmer, also FORTRAN and CSMP, I can appreciate the
nostalgia and also look forward to the time when I too can have an SSP
on my Hercules system. It would appear that the first steps to our
having the SSP are being undertaken by an SSP manual owner graciously
flat bed scanning his copy of the SSP manual, which IIRC showed the
Fortran source code for each function along with a writeup about it.
Having the SSP document, say in PDF form from Bitsavers, the text can
be converted into ascii by means of running an OCR program against the
images. That ascii can then be compiled with our MVS Fortran
compilers. I believe a PLI version was also mentioned and could be
compiled with our MVS PLI compiler.
From a similar nostalgic state I would also like to have IBM's CSMP
available on my Hercules system, but I believe that CSMP was / is? a
Program Product and hence not available to hobbyists. In the era
slightly before CSMP there was DYNAMO (actually a series of DYNAMO
including a 370 and a Fortran version). DYNAMO was featured in the
Club of Rome Report and in the book Systems Dynamics. Dynamo still
exists and can be purchased from its original vendor (not me) but even
so I think that would rule it out running on our machine, because it
is a commercial product.

Still waxing nostalgic I also recall that in the days of yore of batch
mode computing RJE and CRJE / CRBE came along (we have RJE solution
available already for Hercules). I briefly used a system called WYLBUR
in those days of yore. There was a system; WYLBUR, ORVYL (MILTEN and
friends).

Stanford University has made WYLBUR (and friends) for MVS, available
at no cost. I wouldnt mind trying these things out on my Hercules
system. Perhaps there are others who might like to take a look at some
more nostalgia era stuff and so I have put the WYLBUR stuff into the
files repository. (As IKEA would say, some assembly is required.)

cheers
David Dodds

WYLBUR: an interactive text editing and remote job entry system

ABSTRACT

WYLBUR is a comprehensive system for manipulating all kinds of text,
such as computer programs, letters, and manuscripts, using typewriter
terminals connected to a computer. It has facilities for remote job
entry and retrieval as well as facilities for text alignment and
justification. A powerful method for addressing text by content is
provided. This paper describes the external appearance of WYLBUR as
well as its internal structure. A short description of the major
features of ORVYL, a general purpose time-sharing system which
operates in conjunction with WYLBUR, is also included. (I will upload
a PDF of the ACM document referred to here to the group at a later
period.)

Since "You may only upload files smaller than 5120K." to the Files
section anyone wanting to get the WYLBUR ORVYL.tgz file will get it
from: http://www.stanford.edu/dept/its/support/wylorv/WYLORV.tgz 43.4MB
david_dodds_2001
2006-07-14 21:01:03 UTC
Ok, so I made an oops. I assumed that my 43MB tgz file would nicely
upload into the Files section and when it said No I forgot to remove
the sentence that said I had uploaded a file to the Files area. Sorry.

Anyway, I hope there are a few folks who are interested in setting up
a WYLBUR system to work with Hercules. Having taken a look at what
needs to be done to get it into our system I can see that I will need
some assistance if I were to try to do this by myself. So I hope there
are one or two others who are interested in doing this also.

and, from what I could see in the last few days, there are some
utilities and programs that would be useful to have to work with the
WYLBUR system, which other people have talked about in this forum.
Perhaps these could be shared?
Post by david_dodds_2001
I noticed that a little while ago there was some interest in having
SSP on our Hercules system. Having used SSP in a previous lifetime as
model making programmer, also FORTRAN and CSMP, I can appreciate the
nostalgia and also look forward to the time when I too can have an SSP
on my Hercules system. It would appear that the first steps to our
having the SSP are being undertaken by an SSP manual owner graciously
flat bed scanning his copy of the SSP manual, which IIRC showed the
Fortran source code for each function along with a writeup about it.
Having the SSP document, say in PDF form from Bitsavers, the text can
be converted into ascii by means of running an OCR program against the
images. That ascii can then be compiled with our MVS Fortran
compilers. I believe a PLI version was also mentioned and could be
compiled with our MVS PLI compiler.
From a similar nostalgic state I would also like to have IBM's CSMP
43.4MB
rhtatum
2006-07-14 22:01:58 UTC
43.+++ MB on a dialup? I've done worse, but I swore "never again ..." OK, so I lied to myself. As a more palatable solution, I can download the thing over a weekend sometime and burn it off to CD-R. Then mail (snail-type) copies to anyone requesting them, assuming that Stanford doesn't have some restrictions about distributing items downloaded from their site. A while back, I scanned a *bunch* of stuff from manuals and did the same thing with another Herculean - the one off on an extended vacation in Germany who has contributed so much to the group.
Anyway, that's my offer.

Regards,
Ron Tatum

Post by david_dodds_2001
I noticed that a little while ago there was some interest in having
SSP on our Hercules system. Having used SSP in a previous lifetime as
model making programmer, also FORTRAN and CSMP, I can appreciate the
nostalgia and also look forward to the time when I too can have an SSP
on my Hercules system. It would appear that the first steps to our
having the SSP are being undertaken by an SSP manual owner graciously
flat bed scanning his copy of the SSP manual, which IIRC showed the
Fortran source code for each function along with a writeup about it.
Having the SSP document, say in PDF form from Bitsavers, the text can
be converted into ascii by means of running an OCR program against the
images. That ascii can then be compiled with our MVS Fortran
compilers. I believe a PLI version was also mentioned and could be
compiled with our MVS PLI compiler.
From a similar nostalgic state I would also like to have IBM's CSMP

http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
Gerhard Postpischil
2006-07-14 22:08:13 UTC
Post by david_dodds_2001
Anyway, I hope there are a few folks who are interested in setting up
a WYLBUR system to work with Hercules. Having taken a look at what
needs to be done to get it into our system I can see that I will need
some assistance if I were to try to do this by myself. So I hope there
are one or two others who are interested in doing this also.
There is definitely interest, but the UCLA version, instead of being
offloaded on the mainframe in AWS or Transmit format, was converted to
ASCII, losing some needed characters, and was then compressed as a tar
file. The result won't unpack under Windows; unpacked files have
unacceptable directory and member names. At this point I'm not aware of
anyone who has successfully assembled any component. If you search the
internet for Wylbur, you'll find a discussion group, with membership
partly overlapping this and the IBM-MAIN groups, according to which some
people are fairly close to a zOS version. I just got my files unpacked a
few weeks ago, and will be using a REXX/Regina program to convert them
to something I can actually process under MVS 3.8j.

And please, don't try to upload the tar/tgz file - it's useless in its
current form.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT

http://us.click.yahoo.com/2pRQfA/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
Kevin Monceaux
2006-07-14 21:36:36 UTC
David,
Post by david_dodds_2001
Ok, so I made an oops. I assumed that my 43MB tgz file would nicely
upload into the Files section and when it said No I forgot to remove
the sentence that said I had uploaded a file to the Files area. Sorry.
I'm glad you posted the size. The file I downloaded when it was first
announced was only 41MB. I just downloaded the "new" file but haven't
looked through them to see what the differences are.
Post by david_dodds_2001
Anyway, I hope there are a few folks who are interested in setting up
a WYLBUR system to work with Hercules. Having taken a look at what
needs to be done to get it into our system I can see that I will need
some assistance if I were to try to do this by myself. So I hope there
are one or two others who are interested in doing this also.
Perhaps you should join the MVS 3.8J WYLBUR list:

or

MVS38j-Wylbur-Subscribe-***@public.gmane.org

There hasn't been any recent activity on that list. The last post was in
October of 2005.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX

George
2006-07-14 21:19:52 UTC
David,

It seems you missed one of my posts from within the last week or so. I
have posted a copy of the original source tape (Fortran) for SSP on my
web site. You can get it by goint to HTTP://shedlock.org , you will find
it in the file galleries section under MVS 3.8. Enjoy. ISTR that the
manual was made available, but cannot locate it. Can you give me a
pointer so that I can save myself the time of scanning my paper copy of
the manual?

George
Post by david_dodds_2001
I noticed that a little while ago there was some interest in having
SSP on our Hercules system. Having used SSP in a previous lifetime as
model making programmer, also FORTRAN and CSMP, I can appreciate the
nostalgia and also look forward to the time when I too can have an SSP
on my Hercules system. It would appear that the first steps to our
having the SSP are being undertaken by an SSP manual owner graciously
flat bed scanning his copy of the SSP manual, which IIRC showed the
Fortran source code for each function along with a writeup about it.
Having the SSP document, say in PDF form from Bitsavers, the text can
be converted into ascii by means of running an OCR program against the
images. That ascii can then be compiled with our MVS Fortran
compilers. I believe a PLI version was also mentioned and could be
compiled with our MVS PLI compiler.

Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email design.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM