[hercules-390] Merge Shadow Files
ian.ramage@btinternet.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-15 16:20:14 UTC
I have been unable to merge the shadow files for the disks.
This is the first time I have tried since changing my PC and OS to Windows 10 from Windows XP.
I get a message HHC00324E 0:0A90 CCKD file[1] C:/ZOS/ZOS19/Shadow/SZ9RES1_1.dsk: shadow file not merged: file[0] cannot be opened read-write
I have set the attribute of the original file to R/W but it makes no difference.
Can anyone help please?
erwin.marschalk@gmx.net [hercules-390]
2018-11-15 18:18:29 UTC
Ian,

"file[0] cannot be opened read-write" means, than the basic cckd file is either not available or defined as readonly.

You should check the messages from the startup of hercules, if they are opened correct. And you should check with a DIR command, if its really not readonly.

Cheers

Erwin
Tony Harminc tharminc@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-16 00:53:31 UTC
Post by ***@btinternet.com [hercules-390]
I have been unable to merge the shadow files for the disks.
This is the first time I have tried since changing my PC and OS to Windows
10 from Windows XP.
I get a message HHC00324E 0:0A90 CCKD file[1]
C:/ZOS/ZOS19/Shadow/SZ9RES1_1.dsk: shadow file not merged: file[0] cannot
be opened read-write
I have set the attribute of the original file to R/W but it makes no difference.
Can anyone help please?
Is the base file in a "strange" Windows directory like "C:\Program Files"
or the like? I'm no Windows expert, but somewhere after XP (Vista or 7)
they assigned special permissions to various directories such that even an
Admin user can't write to files there despite the files' own settings. You
might want to look at the "Effective Permissions" under the Security tab on
the file properties. Also try to create (via copy or Notepad or whatever)
a new file (a .txt or something) in that same directory to see if it
complains.

Perhaps someone who knows Windows well can chime in. Fish?

Tony H.
Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-16 02:55:29 UTC
Hello!
Tony, I'm not even close as an expert with such things that Fish
is,.(despite working on things from the inside of a very big fish
bowl) but as far as I know you're right. Normally when running
Hercules on this laptop, I normally create the folder from the C:\ one
rather than inside the Programs one.

And one will understand this from reading it with an audience, and one
will complain about it, from reading inside that tank.
-----
Gregg C Levine ***@gmail.com
[...]
in the Brent Building and Perry Mason Attorney at Law also in the
Brent Building.
'Marcel Faber ' marcel.faber@kpnplanet.nl [hercules-390]
2018-11-16 07:49:48 UTC
I’m installed from from XP to Windows 10 without any problems.

No changes; I’m running the hercules files from my Root-directoy not on C: but on D;

So it could be an authorisation issue..

Verzonden vanuit Mail voor Windows 10

2018-11-16 08:50:18 UTC
Post by Tony Harminc ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
[...]
No need; you've already mentioned the two most likely things it could be (besides being a bug in Hercules itself or a bug (or some new behavior I'm unfamiliar with) in Windows 10):

1. The base Hercules (non-shadow) dasd image file is indeed read-only (or has the 'readonly' option (or 'rdonly' option or 'ro' option) specified in the Hercules configuration file).

2. The directory containing the dasd image file (or the dasd image file itself) has unexpected permissions assigned to it, preventing it from being written to by the current user.

There is only one other thing that I can think of that it could be: another program -- perhaps a phantom(*) instance of Hercules -- still has that file opened. The Windows version of Hyperion was changed quite some time ago to prevent the same file from being accidentally specified twice in a configuration by always opening its files in "exclusive" read-write mode, such that only ONE thread (whether that thread is a thread within the same process or a thread within another completely different process) can have write access to the file. This was done to prevent the obvious file damage that would otherwise occur with multiple threads writing to the file at the same time.

I would like to see both your Hercules configuration file as well as your Hercules log file. What *exact* version of Hercules/Hyperion are you running?

I would also like to see a directory listing for the directory containing your dasd image files: "dir /q /-c /a-dr" and "dir /q /-c /a-d-r".

The "/a-dr" will list only read-only files and the "/a-d-r" lists only normal read-write files. Use "dir /?" for more information, or better, install and use "msls.exe" instead: https://u-tools.com/msls.htm (which is what I personally prefer using):

C:\Users\Fish\HercGUI\Disk Files\zOS 1.10s> ls -al
total 15362661
drwx------ 1 Fish 0 Nov 16 00:30 .\
drwx------ 1 Fish 0 Nov 16 00:30 ..\
-rw------a 1 Fish 6 Jun 21 2017 _Fish README.txt
drwx------ 1 Fish 0 Jun 22 2017 CTCI\
-R-------a 1 Fish 208535871 Jun 30 2015 jacic1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1808 Jun 19 2017 jacic1_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 375697020 Jun 30 2015 jadb91.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1808 Jun 19 2017 jadb91_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1537157725 Jun 30 2015 jadb92.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1808 Jun 19 2017 jadb92_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 92083113 Jun 30 2015 jadb93.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1808 Jun 19 2017 jadb93_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 559632220 Jun 30 2015 jadis1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1808 Jun 19 2017 jadis1_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 501731324 Jun 30 2015 jadis2.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1808 Jun 19 2017 jadis2_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 262100923 Jun 30 2015 jadis3.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1808 Jun 19 2017 jadis3_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 782236800 Jun 30 2015 jadis4.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1808 Jun 19 2017 jadis4_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 606570555 Jun 30 2015 jadis5.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1808 Jun 19 2017 jadis5_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 863661769 Jun 30 2015 jadis6.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1808 Jun 19 2017 jadis6_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 302861909 Jun 30 2015 jaims1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1808 Jun 19 2017 jaims1_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 726714958 Jun 30 2015 japrd1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1808 Jun 19 2017 japrd1_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 498417073 Jun 30 2015 japrd2.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 10168 Jun 19 2017 japrd2_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1084218398 Jun 30 2015 japrd3.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1808 Jun 19 2017 japrd3_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 613052991 Jun 30 2015 jares1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 157275 Jun 19 2017 jares1_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 486808631 Jun 30 2015 jares2.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 463934 Jun 19 2017 jares2_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 227570485 Jun 30 2015 jasys1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 72940852 Jun 19 2017 jasys1_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 681965791 Jun 30 2015 jauss1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 586972 Jun 19 2017 jauss1_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1363150750 Jun 30 2015 jawas1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1808 Jun 19 2017 jawas1_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1748587171 Jun 30 2015 jawas2.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1808 Jun 19 2017 jawas2_Shadow_1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1669066142 Jun 30 2015 jawas3.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1808 Jun 19 2017 jawas3_Shadow_1.comp
drwx------ 1 Fish 0 Jun 21 2017 LCS\
drwx------ 1 Fish 0 Jun 21 2017 QETH\
-R-------a 1 Fish 465341125 Jun 30 2015 sares1.comp
-R-------a 1 Fish 1808 Jun 19 2017 sares1_Shadow_1.comp

C:\Users\Fish\HercGUI\Disk Files\zOS 1.10s>

Hope that helps!

-----------------
(*) A phantom process can occur when, for whatever reason, an instance of Hercules is left running without any visible console. The only way to ensure no phantom Hercules process is still running is to log off of Windows and then log back on again, or use a utility such as Process Explorer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_Explorer) or Windows's Task Manager itself.
--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories
mail: ***@softdevlabs.com
'\'Fish\' (David B. Trout)' david.b.trout@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-16 09:18:36 UTC
Another possibility I just thought of is the base dasd image files being on a read-only file system (i.e. read-only media such as a non-RW CDROM/DVD or thumb drive).

Show us your Hercules configuration file, your Hercules log file (the COMPLETE log file from beginning to end) containing the output of a 'sfd' Hercules command, and a Windows directory listing.
mail: ***@softdevlabs.com
ian.ramage@btinternet.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-16 09:31:13 UTC
Thank you all, you have pointed me to the error. I rechecked my configuration as suggested. I had forgotten that some time ago I copied my dasd to the new SSD to see if it went any faster. My config file still pointed to those files but I had not noticed due to symbols in the config file meaning the disk letter was not on the same line as the definitions. So, I was changing the R/W attribute of the original file, not the one currently in use.
Sorry for wasting your time with my carelessness.
'Marcel Faber ' marcel.faber@kpnplanet.nl [hercules-390]
2018-11-16 09:36:35 UTC
It’s working now! 😊

mark.gutzwiller@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-16 08:41:21 UTC
Ian,
Have you tried the command "sf- 0a90 force" or "sf- * force"?

I'd think that if it doesn't work, it would return the same HHC00324E error.

Mark Gutzwiller