[hercules-390] jcl to create sequential and indexed files
afonso.jal.moreira@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-07 09:58:01 UTC
hi every friends.

I nedd create two jcl(s) one to create sequential files, and another to vsam files.
Any one can write them form me??
I need it complete, because iam new i ispf, tso

thank
afonso
Sao Paulo Brazil
Ivan Warren ivan@vmfacility.fr [hercules-390]
2018-11-07 12:57:26 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
I nedd create two jcl(s) one to create sequential files, and another to vsam files.
Any one can write them form me??
Dear sir,

Of course, I am sure it's possible...

For a fee... (I charge $12K for writing a JCL to write a sequential file
and $20K to create a VSAM file).

--Ivan

Mike Stramba mikestramba@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-07 13:41:45 UTC
I work cheaper.

I'll do it for $50 each.

Send via PAYPAL to my email.

Mike
' Richard Pinion' rpinion@netscape.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-07 13:47:38 UTC
John Murray john.ar.murray@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-07 14:29:51 UTC
Here you go:

//NEWDS JOB (,),'XXX',CLASS=A,MSGLEVEL=(1,1),MSGCLASS=X,
// USER=?user?,PASSWORD=?pswd?,REGION=0M
//*
//STP010 EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
//*
//NEW DD DSN=BLAH.BLAH.BLAH,(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),
// DCB=(RECFM=xx,LRECL=nnnn,BLKSIZE=nnnn)
//

//NEWDS JOB (,),'XXX',CLASS=A,MSGLEVEL=(1,1),MSGCLASS=X,
// USER=?user?,PASSWORD=?pswd?,REGION=0M
//*
//STP010 EXEC PGM=IDCAMS
//*
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN DD *
ALLOC DATASET('JARM.LIB.OBJ') -
BLKSIZE(32720) -
CATALOG -
DIR(50) -
DSNTYPE(LIBRARY) -
DSORG(PO) -
LRECL(80) -
NEW -
RECFM(F B) -
SPACE(10, 10) -
CYLINDERS -
UNIT(SYSALLDA)
/*
//

This is all out of memory, but fiddle with it and it’ll likely work..

John Murray

2 Avenue de Peterhof
Paris 75017
France
I would do it for $30/hour. That's the rate I charge my old
employer for doing part time sysprog work, 12 hours a week :)
Richard and Vickie Pinion
Subject: Re: [hercules-390] jcl to create sequential and indexed files
Netscape. Just the Net You Need.
Ivan Warren ivan@vmfacility.fr [hercules-390]
2018-11-07 17:28:31 UTC
[...]
You don't have to work for free for someone who is going to get paid for
some work you have done !

Open source, Free software is fine.. but that's freeloading !

--Ivan

John Murray john.ar.murray@gmail.com [hercules-390]

Wayne Bickerdike waynevb@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-07 19:01:51 UTC
//STEP1 EXEC PGM=IDCAMS
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=A
//SYSIN DD *
DEFINE CLUSTER -
(NAME(VWX.MYDATA) -
VOLUMES(VSER02) -
RECORDS(1000 500)) -
DATA -
(NAME(VWX.KSDATA) -
KEYS(15 0) -
RECORDSIZE(250 250) -
FREESPACE(20 10) -
BUFFERSPACE(25000) ) -
(NAME(VWX.KSINDEX) -
CATALOG (RSTUCAT1)
/*
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.idai200/da6i2120.htm
The IDCAMS example doesn't create a VSAM file.
Odd way to define a PDSE too.....
VSAM is KSDS, ESDS or RRDS.....
Wayne V. Bickerdike
--
Wayne V. Bickerdike
Wayne V. Bickerdike
Ivan Warren ivan@vmfacility.fr [hercules-390]
2018-11-07 18:42:19 UTC
Post by John Murray ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
Hey, I’m retired and I did all that MVS stuff a while back. I’m trying
to get back into it more as a hobby than a second, or third career,
but I still have a lot of stuff on hand and this guy seems to want to
learn so give him a hand and don’t make him feel that this is a closed
game. The thing of it is that, looking at the “new”z/os books online,
I swear they’ve got third or fourth generation writers writing the
shit. Even the Red Book intros are complicated. So it’s still a large
area to make sense of and help she’s kid be offered.
John Murray
What if...

I'd like you to build a car for me for free and give it to me... I'll
sell it when you're done, and I'll keep the proceeds...

... That's what it's about here...

--Ivan

Dave McGuire Mcguire@neurotica.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-07 19:23:32 UTC
Post by Ivan Warren ***@vmfacility.fr [hercules-390]
Post by John Murray ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
Hey, I’m retired and I did all that MVS stuff a while back. I’m trying
to get back into it more as a hobby than a second, or third career,
but I still have a lot of stuff on hand and this guy seems to want to
learn so give him a hand and don’t make him feel that this is a closed
game. The thing of it is that, looking at the “new”z/os books online,
I swear they’ve got third or fourth generation writers writing the
shit. Even the Red Book intros are complicated. So it’s still a large
area to make sense of and help she’s kid be offered.
What if...
I'd like you to build a car for me for free and give it to me... I'll
sell it when you're done, and I'll keep the proceeds...
An important part of life is passing on knowledge and helping the next
generation get a good start. It doesn't need to always be about "I've
got mine".

-Dave
--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA
Ivan Warren ivan@vmfacility.fr [hercules-390]
2018-11-07 20:04:54 UTC
Post by Dave McGuire ***@neurotica.com [hercules-390]
An important part of life is passing on knowledge and helping the next
generation get a good start. It doesn't need to always be about "I've
got mine".
The original request was :

- I need this : Write it for me.. That's not passing knowledge.. that's
asking someone else to do your homework !

--Ivan

kerravon86@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390]
2018-11-07 20:45:12 UTC
Post by Ivan Warren ***@vmfacility.fr [hercules-390]
Post by Dave McGuire ***@neurotica.com [hercules-390]
An important part of life is passing on knowledge and helping the next
generation get a good start. It doesn't need to always be about "I've
got mine".
- I need this : Write it for me.. That's not passing knowledge.. that's
asking someone else to do your homework !
MVS is overwhelmingly complex and it is
difficult to know where to start. Just creating
a sequential file is a daunting task, and
even after being given the JCL it will take
some time to understand that.

I think it is appropriate to help people to
get started (in whatever form they happen
to be starting), and it is actually good to see
new MVS blood at all. There is a lot to
pass on.

BFN. Paul.
Ivan Warren ivan@vmfacility.fr [hercules-390]
2018-11-07 21:43:06 UTC
Post by ***@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390]
Post by Ivan Warren ***@vmfacility.fr [hercules-390]
Post by Dave McGuire ***@neurotica.com [hercules-390]
An important part of life is passing on knowledge and helping the next
generation get a good start. It doesn't need to always be about "I've
got mine".
- I need this : Write it for me.. That's not passing knowledge.. that's
asking someone else to do your homework !
MVS is overwhelmingly complex and it is
difficult to know where to start. Just creating
a sequential file is a daunting task, and
even after being given the JCL it will take
some time to understand that.
Conceiving and designing an automobobile is overwhelmingly complex.. I
need a new car.. Can you get me one ?

2018-11-07 22:15:49 UTC
Post by Ivan Warren ***@vmfacility.fr [hercules-390]
Post by ***@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390]
MVS is overwhelmingly complex and it is
difficult to know where to start. Just creating
a sequential file is a daunting task, and
even after being given the JCL it will take
some time to understand that.
Conceiving and designing an automobobile
is overwhelmingly complex.. I
need a new car.. Can you get me one ?
That's not my field, but I will try to help
you anyway. There are different cars for
different priorities. Some people are
interested in a car that is cheap to run,
while others are interested in being the
best-off in a collision, so for the latter
you want an SUV (I believe).

Also you should consider buying a
second-hand car rather than a new car,
as that is generally more cost-effective.
So a car that is maybe 2 years old.

There may be some car-buying guides
available on the internet that will give a
more informed opinion. Let me know if
you would like me to try to find you one,
or if you can answer my above questions
to help refine the search. Also, this is
probably country-specific, so you
probably need to say where you are
located, and others in the group may be
able to fill in some blanks too.

BFN. Paul.
John Murray john.ar.murray@gmail.com [hercules-390]

2018-11-08 08:35:44 UTC
Post by John Murray ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
And, far as I know, there ain’t no stackoveflow for a/os.
I assume you meant z/OS. Maybe this is
the equivalent of stackoverflow:

http://ibmmainframes.com/

BFN. Paul.
'Dave Wade' dave.g4ugm@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-08 08:58:58 UTC
2018-11-08 09:47:09 UTC
Sure, this forum is a good place to pick up hints and tips; I suppose that I meant that in comparison to stackoverflow, there’s no forum where answers can be found to both simple and complex questions, for z/os I mean.. And the other thing, for me anyway, is that I used to be an expert, 30 years ago, but I’ve forgotten most of it and I’ve lost my desire to read through those still very thick IBM manuals to find answers to my questions. Newbie: I’m trying to create a VSAM dataset, how do I do that? Answer: go read the IDCAMS book. Response: what does IDCAMS have to do with VSAM?

John Murray
Yahoo Groups Links
kerravon86@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390]
2018-11-08 09:53:10 UTC
This website:

http://www.ibmmainframeforum.com/

has both a beginner forum and an expert forum.

BFN. Paul.

http://ibmmainframes.com/ http://ibmmainframes.com/
BFN. Paul.
Most current mainframe chat is on IBM Main. You can probably read it most easily here:-

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/bit.listserv.ibm-main https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/bit.listserv.ibm-main

but I think to subscribe and submit messages to the actual list you need to be here:-

https://listserv.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=IBM-MAIN&A=1 https://listserv.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=IBM-MAIN&A=1

https://www.reddit.com/r/mainframe/ https://www.reddit.com/r/mainframe/

Yahoo Groups Links
John Murray john.ar.murray@gmail.com [hercules-390]

Yahoo Groups Links
Ivan Warren ivan@vmfacility.fr [hercules-390]
2018-11-08 08:52:53 UTC
So all I’m saying is, it’s OK to be offer someone a leg up.. They’ll
be no danger to you, at least until they know as much, and having more
knowledgeable folks around is usually a good thing. And, far as I
know, there ain’t no stackoveflow for a/os.
John,

That's not what I am saying... All I am saying is someone coming to a
mailing list like this one, and then saying : I *NEED* a JCL to do
this/that (implying he is getting paid for this) - can someone do it for
me for free ?

THAT is what I'm having difficulties with.

2018-11-08 09:07:20 UTC
Post by Ivan Warren ***@vmfacility.fr [hercules-390]
That's not what I am saying... All I am saying is someone coming to a
mailing list like this one, and then saying : I *NEED* a JCL to do
this/that (implying he is getting paid for this) - can someone do it for
me for free ?
THAT is what I'm having difficulties with.
I doubt that he has an employer who asked
him to create one arbitrary sequential file
and one arbitrary VSAM file. Assuming he
actually has an employer, he would have
been given a real-world task, and he's
having problems way way back at the
basics.

And some of us are happy to help
someone survive the challenges of
employment, depending on what the
question is. If it's an "understanding
MVS" question, I'm happy to help.
If it's "write a general ledger application"
then I am not happy to write thousands
of lines of Cobol code for free.

The person receiving assistance today
will hopefully help others in the future too.

BFN. Paul.
Gerhard Postpischil gerhardp@charter.net [hercules-390]
2018-11-09 15:46:18 UTC
Post by ***@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390]
I doubt that he has an employer who asked
him to create one arbitrary sequential file
and one arbitrary VSAM file. Assuming he
actually has an employer, he would have
been given a real-world task, and he's
having problems way way back at the
basics.
When I managed the AMS systems group, AMS lost a programming contract in
New York City. The person who led that project was transferred to
Virginia, and made a Director of something or other. He decided to hire
a systems programmer, previously at the Marine Corps, without telling
me. While the guy was nice, the only thing he knew was JCL - his USMC
experience consisted of fixing JCL for production jobs. Nepotism aside,
it does happen that someone is underqualified for a job.
Post by ***@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390]
And some of us are happy to help
someone survive the challenges of
employment, depending on what the
question is. If it's an "understanding
MVS" question, I'm happy to help.
If it's "write a general ledger application"
then I am not happy to write thousands
of lines of Cobol code for free.
While I got most of my knowledge from reading IBM manuals and trial and
error, I got occasional help. My BFF was glad to help, but first he
wanted to know what manual you looked into and which part was giving you
problems. Other people also helped, e.g., by making contributions at
SHARE and the CBT tape.
Post by ***@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390]
The person receiving assistance today
will hopefully help others in the future too.
"Pay it forward" - I've taught classes, and mentored fellow employees.
One operator wanted to learn assembly language, and I suggested he pick
a game. He wrote a football game for the 3278, and kept at it until it
ran error free. I met him at a SHARE conference several years later, and
he was a manager in North Carolina working for IBM in the communications
division.

I see no problem with a simple request - how many times did something
not work right, and you needed someone else to point out how to do it
correctly? The best example are DD cards for IEH utilities - only UNIT,
DISP=OLD, and VOL=SER are required, and other parameters can lead to
program failures, e.g., allocation of a temporary data set that uses
space required for a move.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT

---
https://www.avg.com

'Dave Wade' dave.g4ugm@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-08 09:17:44 UTC
So all I’m saying is, it’s OK to be offer someone a leg up.. They’ll
be no danger to you, at least until they know as much, and having more
knowledgeable folks around is usually a good thing. And, far as I
know, there ain’t no stackoveflow for a/os.
John,
That's not what I am saying... All I am saying is someone coming to a mailing
list like this one, and then saying : I *NEED* a JCL to do this/that (implying he
is getting paid for this) - can someone do it for me for free ?
THAT is what I'm having difficulties with.
That is possibly a translation issue. I don't know Portuguese but in Spanish I don't think "need" carries the same weight as in English.
It certainly doesn't imply he is being paid for it.

Dave
--Ivan
Joe Monk joemonk64@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-08 11:37:23 UTC
Ivan,

You have to cut the guy a little slack, English is not his first language.

For instance, in Portuguese, they don't say "I have some questions". They
say "I have some doubts". The Portuguese word is duvidas.

I used to work at Petrobras (the national oil company of Brasil). As you
can probably imagine, the first time someone said, "I have some doubts"
referring to my work, I had to stop and realize that he meant he had
questions.

In this case, he says "I need". The Portuguese word for need is precisa. Eu
precisa uma trabalha.... He means that he wishes to acquire... not that he
needs.

Joe
Tony Harminc tharminc@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-08 18:31:11 UTC
Post by John Murray ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
And, far as I know, there ain’t no stackoveflow for a/os.
There has been much discussion on IBM-MAIN about this, and there is a
*proposed* one
http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/118484/mainframes

But there is a pretty severe culture clash - not merely about the content,
but about the rules and expectations for such a forum. The few hundred
(maybe a few thousand at most) mainframers on IBM-MAIN simply have no clout
at a place like Stack Overflow, and are not used to the whole process of
getting a new group approved.

Here's some commentary from Charles Mills on IBM-MAIN that explains some of
the issue:
==================
Here is the deal. In order for the mainframe group to become real, they need
people to "commit" to it. Here is what commitment means: "I commit to
participate actively in Mainframes for at least three months, especially
during the private beta, and to ask or answer at least ten questions."

Your "commitment" carries much more weight if you have a reputation score of
200 or above on any other stackxxxxx site. You get points by answering
questions, especially if your answers are up-voted by others. I had not paid
much attention to that on stackoverflow so I have a score of only 103. I
have registered now on stackoverflow to be notified of mainframe questions
so hopefully I can answer some questions and improve my reputation score.

If you have a reputation score of more than 200 on any stackxxxxx site you
can really help by committing AND making sure you use the same userid on all
stackxxxxx sites so that the mainframe group is "aware" of your reputation.

I was unclear on all of this. Hope this helps. If this is old news to you,
please just hit delete.

But please consider committing to the mainframe site, for your benefit and
for the benefit of the platform.

Tony H.
Mike Stramba mikestramba@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-08 19:43:01 UTC
While there may not be a "dedicated group" for mainframes on s.o, a google for

"stackoverflow mainframe"

returns :
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/mainframe

"The mainframe tag refers to the class of "big iron" computers,
primarily those from IBM. Currently this is limited to the System z
hardware, typically running zOS as its operating system, zVM, or
zLinux.

919 questions "
--------------

I find SO to be sometimes as much a PIA as Wikipedia with their
"editors" and bizzare "posting criteria"

I think that some of the people who are "committed" there .... really
need to be committed ;)

E.g.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8722906/mainframe-internals

"
mainframe internals [closed]

Can anyone tell me links for reading about mainframe internals like
what happens in mainframe intrenally when I login or create a dataset
or submit a job. I googled but couldnt find"
=================== (reply from the "committed ones" ) ============
closed as not a real question by talonmies, skaffman, Mark, Bo
Persson, Joe Jan 5 '12 at 2:08

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is
ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot
be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this
question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center. If this
question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please
edit the question.
=============

While someone did post a reasonably good answer to the question :

The Principles of Operation will give you as low-level a look at
mainframe internals as you're likely to get.

You mention wanting to know what happens internally "when I login or
create a dataset or submit a job." You might want to ask yourself,
"login to what?" exactly. TSO? CICS? IMS?

For creating datasets you might start with DFSMS.

For submitting jobs you might want to start with JES2 or JES3,
depending on which one you're using.

None of what you're asking is a small topic.

I would have liked to add an answer to that question, but the
"powers-that-be" deemed it "not a question"

Mike
------------
Tony H.
Dave McGuire Mcguire@neurotica.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-07 21:17:37 UTC
Post by Ivan Warren ***@vmfacility.fr [hercules-390]
Post by Dave McGuire ***@neurotica.com [hercules-390]
An important part of life is passing on knowledge and helping the next
generation get a good start. It doesn't need to always be about "I've
got mine".
- I need this : Write it for me.. That's not passing knowledge.. that's
asking someone else to do your homework !
It sounds more like a request for help, with a language barrier. The
OP is in Brazil; his native language is likely Portuguese.

Look, he may very well be a lazy guy who doesn't want to go digging
for information. But he may not be, and reacting with such hostility to
a simple question seems really out of line.

Would you have googled it, and probably found Jay Moseley's examples?
Probably. I know I would have. But not everyone's google-fu is as
strong as ours. Or maybe the guy was just in a hurry, under pressure,
and just needed a little help. We've all been there.

-Dave
--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA
Rahim Azizarab rahimazizarab@yahoo.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-07 14:56:59 UTC
You may try reading Jay Moseley's tutorials at http://www.jaymoseley.com/hercules/isam_vsam/isam_vsam.htm

regards;
Rahim
Binyamin Dissen bdissen@dissensoftware.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-07 18:43:19 UTC
On 07 Nov 2018 09:58:01 +0000 "***@gmail.com [hercules-390]"
<hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

:>hi every friends.
:>
:>
:> I nedd create two jcl(s) one to create sequential files, and another to vsam files.

JCL to create a sequential file

//BLABLA JOB
// EXEC PGM=IKJEFT01,DYNAMNBR=10
//SYSTSPRT DD SYSOUT=*