[hercules-390] Installing Hercules on Windows
kirti_pce@yahoo.co.in [hercules-390]
2018-08-15 13:31:01 UTC
Hello Everyone,

I am totally new to Hercules. I want to install ZOS (and then Db2) on my Windows 10. I have installed Hercules. Where can I get Z/OS emulation files for Hercules? Till now I got to know it will be of size 16GB. Can anyone please help me.
Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-08-15 16:24:25 UTC
Hello!
And he's not kidding. You don't want to do that. Please go to that
site and follow the onscreen instructions. You'll also find an entire
big virtual room full of helpful people on the MVS list to help you
further. In my case it concerned taking VM/370rel6 past the freely
available portion. This is well before the 6 pack system we have today
incidentally.

I found out that what he's posting now is indeed correct, years
earlier, via a discussion with my favorite IBM sales engineer. Oh he's
long retired now, but then he made an incredible living selling IBM
mainframes and convincing his customers to buy licenses for VM and
then whatever they wanted as guests. Then when the movement towards
Linux as a guest spun up he followed that.

It was at the first Linux World event, when IBM made the
announcements. Over a meal we discussed everything, and he confirmed
how IBM felt about Hercules. To put it mildly they were annoyed. Let's
just say the early archives reflect on it.
,
Let us just not tempt the water shall we?
-----
Gregg C Levine ***@gmail.com
Because z/OS is a licensed product, please talk to IBM about obtaining a legal copy. If you are interested in running a legal version of MVS, please visit http://wotho.ethz.ch/tk4-/
FYI, after posting what you wrote, IBM is watching you. We have suspected for a long time that they monitor this group.
Good luck.
2018-08-15 22:59:23 UTC
Everything you will learn on MVS 3.8 WILL APPLY to modern systems, so
it is not time wasted. Some details have been updated on modern
systems, but it will be additional stuff to learn, no need to forget
old stuff. (Except ISAM, which was already well on the way out in MVS
3.8).
Post by Gregg Levine ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
[...]
Yahoo Groups Links
--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA
kirti_pce@yahoo.co.in [hercules-390]
2018-08-15 13:42:08 UTC
Hello Everyone,

I am new to Hercules. I want to work on Db2 for ZOS on my personal Laptop. I am looking for Z/OS emulation files for Hercules. Can someone please help me.
mario iroc158@yahoo.com [hercules-390]
2018-08-15 23:58:35 UTC
kirti_pce, here you go, see the following link:

https://www.ibm.com/it-infrastructure/z/software/pricing

Mario
williaj@sympatico.ca [hercules-390]
2018-08-16 03:41:41 UTC
That doesn't seem right. I interpret that as a charge for deploying a single application, although I don't get what "colocated solutions within existing LPARs" might possibly mean. Isn't it still around $100K for the entry level z-machine, because you can't use the laptop for production work. Sippel or somebody posted it was $128/mth for z/OS for a 3 MSU machine, 2098-A01 maybe. I dunno what the current equivalent would be. 2965-A01 seems to be listed as 10 MSU, maybe there isn't a 3 MSU machine anymore.

---In hercules-***@yahoogroups.com, <***@...> wrote :

kirti_pce, here you go, see the following link:

https://www.ibm.com/it-infrastructure/z/software/pricing https://www.ibm.com/it-infrastructure/z/software/pricing

Mario