[hercules-390] Was 2703 support ever confirmed on the Six Pack for VM?
'Gregg C Levine' hansolofalcon@att.net [hercules-390]
2018-11-19 14:22:00 UTC
Hello!
Based on an earlier discussion for Hercules and its variety of operating
systems and Windows, I promptly snagged a fresh copy of Hercules 3.1.3 for
Windows, and then from where I keep them everything else.

I also glommed a newer copy of PCOM from the IBM site.

I also examined the site at http://www.hercules-390.eu for clues as to what
else is out there.

The one Max setup for the ideas behind 2703 support is still up, but in
perusing the site I noted that the dates on it are for 2008.
-----
Gregg C Levine ***@att.net
"I'm still so smart I amaze even myself!" Han Solo
"That doesn't sound so hard." Princess Leia
Ivan Warren ivan@vmfacility.fr [hercules-390]
2018-11-19 16:13:42 UTC
Post by 'Gregg C Levine' ***@att.net [hercules-390]
The one Max setup for the ideas behind 2703 support is still up, but in
perusing the site I noted that the dates on it are for 2008.
Gregg,

Are you talking TELE2 or IBM1 support ?

--Ivan

'Dave Wade' dave.g4ugm@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-19 18:55:01 UTC
Gregg,
The code was incorporated into Hercules R4 (I think). I seem to think the latest R4 works, but its been a while since I tested it.
Dave
2018-11-20 02:13:16 UTC
Hello!
Ah okay.

I know for a while you were producing Windows native snapshots. Is
anyone doing that? I mean for the R4 releases.
--
Of course this discussion does not mean anything to the two
individuals reading this who work with an audience. But definitely to
computer programming for a purpose society.
'\'Fish\' (David B. Trout)' david.b.trout@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-20 04:36:35 UTC
Gregg Levine wrote:

[...]
Post by Gregg Levine ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
Of course this discussion does not mean anything to
the two individuals reading this who work with an audience.
But definitely to the one who works in a big fishbowl.
As far as I know, SDL-Hyperion's 2703 support works just fine.

Now, whether or not that support has been properly incorporated into the VM Six Pack or not, I don't know. You'd have to ask whoever is responsible maintaining that particular distribution (which I believe is Dave Wade?, which it looks like you've already received a reply from?).
--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories
mail: ***@softdevlabs.com
Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-20 04:58:59 UTC
Hello!
Yes indeed he's the one who steered me towards the release that you
are working. And as it happens more towards the regular 4 series. But
leaning towards yours.

I'm running Windows Seven with SP1 applied here, and with Visual
Studio 2010SP1 on it. So I asked about preexisting binaries for that
set. He left that alone. Now how'd I go about building a working
version of your SDL-Hyperion set of binaries?

Incidentally I managed to spin up 3.13 of Hercules on Windows without
a problem both with and without your excellent GUI. About all I need
to do was to set the key for the emulator name on it.

This means you can stick another plus sign on the side of your desk or
fishbowl if you want regarding something that works.

That's what prompted this entire discussion.

So Dave W, what's with the frustrated sea devil banging on your windows?
Post by Gregg Levine ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
Of course this discussion does not mean anything to
the two individuals reading this who work with an audience.
But definitely to the one who works in a big fishbowl.
-----
Gregg C Levine ***@gmail.com

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 11:44 PM ''Fish' (David B. Trout)'
and conscience programming bureau.
'\'Fish\' (David B. Trout)' david.b.trout@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-21 04:54:38 UTC
Gregg Levine wrote:

[...]
Post by Gregg Levine ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
I'm running Windows Seven with SP1 applied here,
Me too.
Post by Gregg Levine ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
and with Visual Studio 2010SP1 on it.
Believe it or not I'm still using Visual Studio 2008 SP1!(*)
Post by Gregg Levine ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
So I asked about preexisting binaries for that set.
He left that alone. Now how'd I go about building a
working version of your SDL-Hyperion set of binaries?
Well first of all, you shouldn't actually need to build it for yourself. I provide pre-built binaries for Windows on my web site's "Hyperion" web page:

http://www.softdevlabs.com/hyperion#prebuilt

which should work just fine on any Windows system.

But if you want to build SDL Hyperion 4.1 for yourself, simply follow the instructions I provide on my "Hercules Build Instructions" web page:

http://www.softdevlabs.com/hercules-msvc-build.html
http://www.softdevlabs.com/hercules-vs2015-build.html

The first link if for the original VS2008 build instructions. The second link is for the updated VS2015/VS2017 build instructions.

Which set of instructions you yourself should follow (since you have VS2010, which is in between VS2008 and VS2015), I'm not quite sure. I believe VS2010 was the first version of Visual Studio that introduced MSBUILD as opposed to the previous VCBUILD that VS2008 and earlier used, so following the VS2015 instructions would probably be your best bet.

Whichever set of instructions you follow (but this is especially true for the VS2015/VS2017 instructions), be sure to follow them CAREFULLY! (i.e. *exactly* if possible).

Of course, if you have any problems or anything is unclear or confusing, PLEASE LET ME KNOW by either posting your question/problem here on this forum, -OR-, better yet, by creating a new GitHub Issue:

https://github.com/SDL-Hercules-390/hyperion/issues
Which version are you using? The latest? (http://www.softdevlabs.com/hercgui)
Post by Gregg Levine ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
This means you can stick another plus sign on the side of your
desk or fishbowl if you want regarding something that works.
Thanks! I'll do that. :)

(*) Although I do have VS2017 installed on my Windows 7 x64 VMware virtual machine, which I use for Hercules build testing. But all of my primary software development is still with VS2008. I do plan to one day upgrade to VS2017, but I just haven't gotten "A Round Tuit" yet.(**)

(**) Upgrading from one version of Visual Studio, just like upgrading from one operating system version to another, is not necessarily a simple, straightforward process. Especially when the upgrade involves a jump of several versions! (VS2008 to VS2017 is quite a leap!)
mail: ***@softdevlabs.com
'Dave Wade' dave.g4ugm@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-20 14:43:19 UTC
Of course this discussion does not mean anything to the two
individuals reading this who work with an audience.
But definitely to the one who works in a big fishbowl.
As far as I know, SDL-Hyperion's 2703 support works just fine.
I don't know about the 2703 support, but when I tried setting up a new system from a starter system, I had no end of issues with the line mode support..
Once I had the system running and switched to 3270 I didn't need it so didn't complain.
I suggest Gregg gives it a whirl for us...
Dave
Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-21 05:30:23 UTC
Hello!
That's next. Right now I'm up to my ears in my regular work. This one
is next scheduled for a try out in about two more days.

This release of HercGUI is from the period when the first 64 bit
examples surfaced, which is coded 1.11.1.5265 and I put the libraries
that you created to add additional support which are also 64-bit in
the same folder as the GUI program. Oh and the libraries are 2.71.564.
-----
Gregg C Levine ***@gmail.com

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 12:07 AM ''Fish' (David B. Trout)'
[...]
Post by 'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
I don't know about the 2703 support, but when I tried
setting up a new system from a starter system, I had
no end of issues with the line mode support.
How long ago was this? Maybe line mode support was incomplete at the time for the particular Hyperion you were using? (I have never used it myself, never having the need.)
Post by 'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
Once I had the system running and switched to 3270 I didn't
need it so didn't complain.
I suggest Gregg gives it a whirl for us...
Gregg?
2018-11-21 15:46:36 UTC
Post by 'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
I don't know about the 2703 support, but when I tried setting
up a new system from a starter system, I had
no end of issues with the line mode support.
Dave
By any chance, did you document these issues anywhere?

Which host application(s) [tso, cms, cp] were giving trouble?

Max

'Dave Wade' dave.g4ugm@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-20 14:39:40 UTC
Fish produces snap shots as and when. My process broke and I haven't fixed it

Dave
Yahoo Groups Links
Mike Schwab Mike.A.Schwab@gmail.com [hercules-390]
The one Max setup for the ideas behind 2703 support is still up, but
in perusing the site I noted that the dates on it are for 2008.
Gregg,
Are you talking TELE2 or IBM1 support ?
--Ivan
Yahoo Groups Links
--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA
'Dave Wade' dave.g4ugm@gmail.com [hercules-390]
Yahoo Groups Links
Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-20 02:09:05 UTC
Hello!
Technically Max's sample shows (Without my quotes of course.) "TELE2"
and I am presuming that the 2703 gadget was an ordinary teleprinter
who was wearing IBM blue. (well maybe.)
-----