terse for PCs (Windows, AIX, Linux ....)
dedvg158
2008-09-17 12:15:52 UTC
Hi all folks,
I spend some time to find "terse" for my PC (Mac) and I find
outdated links only. But I find some files on my disk and on
some old floppy disks.

I put all the "terse" files/programms to an archive and post the
"tersepc.zip" file to the Hecules download area.

Maybe, someone is interesting in this nice/old tool,
Lutz

p.s.
The "tersepc.zip" archive file contain the following versions,
use the file fitting your plattform (rename the file to terse or
terse.exe). I put a help file to the archive, see "terse.txt".
DOS -> tersedos.exe
OS/2 -> terse16.exe, terse32.exe
AIX/6000 and AIX/2 -> terseaix, terseaix.intel
Windows 2K, XP, 2K3 -> terse.exe
Linux -> terselinux
Mac OS X -> terse.ppc, terse.intel
rptv2003
2008-09-18 16:53:59 UTC
I spend some time ...
I put all the "terse" files/programms to an archive and post the
"tersepc.zip" file to the Hecules download area.
Maybe, someone is interesting in this nice/old tool,
Lutz
Thanks, Lutz.

May I ask about the availability of the source code and the license
terms of these programs?
Paul Raulerson
2008-09-19 18:57:39 UTC
Can I add a question? What is terse? -Paul
I spend some time ...
Tony Harminc
2008-09-19 20:02:11 UTC
Post by Paul Raulerson
Can I add a question? What is terse? -Paul
Terse is an IBM implementation of the algorithm sometimes called LZW
(where the W may stand for either Welch or Wegman). It seems that two
essentially identical extensions to the LZ (Lempel-Ziv) algorithm were
patented at around the same time (says lots about the quality of the
US patent office's prior art search), and it happens that both
"inventors" have the initial W. Wegman's patent was assigned to IBM,
and Welch's to Unisys. Both companies apparently made money by
licensing their patents to modem makers and the like. Both patents
have now expired.

More specifically, terse implements an IBM-specific packaging of LZW,
with conventions for encoding various types of files and datasets. IBM
provides a z/OS implementation under the name TRSMAIN, and more
recently a supported version under the name AMATERSE. IBM has also
written somewhat compatible versions for other platforms, and there is
no reason anyone couldn't write one for any platform. No
reverse-engineering of IBM code would be necessary; the algorithm is
reasonably well documented, and the encapsulation is not complex. And
as I said, the patents have expired.

Tony H.
Dick perv
2008-09-24 10:07:18 UTC
Paul,

Think of PKZIP for mainframes, but with a different output format, hence the
different versions for non-mainframe machines.

Richard
Can I add a question? What is terse? -Paul
40yahoogroups.com>,
I spend some time ...
dedvg158
2008-09-20 21:35:22 UTC
Post by rptv2003
May I ask about the availability of the source code and the license
terms of these programs?
The "terse" program was shipped by Advantis, IBM in 1994 for OS/2, DOS
and AIX.
I put all this "terse" Version into my archive.

I'm am interesting in the amaterse compatible source code too, but I
can't find a source. I add a Linux and Windows Version to the archive too.

By, Lutz
Massimo Biancucci
2008-09-19 19:09:45 UTC
TERSE is a "standard" compress utility on Mainframe environment.

Mainly is a main program name TRSMAIN that you can submit in order to compress input datasets (PS or PDS and much more).

Starting z/OS 1.9 the utility was changed to manage VBS datasets too (but there're retrofit for 1.8 and 1.7).

The output file is a standard 1024 FB record (if I'm not wrong).

In my opinion it's the best way to move data between MFs if you need to use a PC bridge.

Main reason is that you don't have to care about original file format as using FTP (only 1024 FB).

The utility "PACK" or "UNPACK" the input dataset.

Lots of documentation on IBM sites.

Best regards.

kerravon86
2008-09-19 22:59:33 UTC
Post by Massimo Biancucci
The output file is a standard 1024 FB record (if I'm not wrong).
In my opinion it's the best way to move data between MFs if you need to use a PC bridge.
Main reason is that you don't have to care about original file
format as using FTP (only 1024 FB).

That's the first time I've heard someone say that.
Can you tell me why you think this is better than
XMIT, and why in the past XMIT is what everyone
has suggested using, and also says, IS used for
real transmissions?

BFN. Paul.
dedvg158
2008-09-20 21:55:43 UTC
Hi Paul,
no problem, XMIT files are very useful to ship/transfer files to an other system.
Post by kerravon86
That's the first time I've heard someone say that.
Can you tell me why you think this is better than
XMIT, and why in the past XMIT is what everyone
has suggested using, and also says, IS used for
real transmissions?
BFN. Paul.
All the time you send data/dumps or something else to IBM (ONTOP, IBMLink), IBM pleased
you (in EMEA) to use a TERSED file format, also I use it.

In general AMATERSE/TRSMAIN is available for z/OS, since several years.
And I think TERSE is available for VSE and VM, too.
I use TRSMAIN/AMATERSE to compress Log Files and Dumps. The tersed Log Files can
translated from EBCDIC to ASCII with the nice Advantis/IBM programs on a PC.

Bye, Lutz
peter_flass
2008-09-21 13:02:37 UTC
Post by Massimo Biancucci
Main reason is that you don't have to care about original file
format as using FTP (only 1024 FB).
That's the first time I've heard someone say that.
Can you tell me why you think this is better than
XMIT, and why in the past XMIT is what everyone
has suggested using, and also says, IS used for
real transmissions?
BFN. Paul.
IBM uses Terse to distribute SMP/E sysmods downloaded via FTP. From a
file transfer POV, it's nice to have something do the EBCDIC<->ASCII
translation. Too bad they don't support codepages 1047(E) and 850(A),
or that the source isn't available.
dedvg158
2008-09-26 15:35:52 UTC
Hi, yes,
terse does not support this code page translation.
Post by peter_flass
IBM uses Terse to distribute SMP/E sysmods downloaded via FTP. From a
file transfer POV, it's nice to have something do the EBCDIC<->ASCII
translation. Too bad they don't support codepages 1047(E) and 850(A),
or that the source isn't available.
Advatis/IBM start writing this tool in 1994, I think no one was aware
of OMVS/UUS in 1994. This is the reason I'm interesting in the new
source code. Terse does not handle some functions are available with
AMATERSE.

Bye, Lutz

p.s.
BTW, terse does not handle the new euro code pages too.

Martin T2..
2008-09-20 06:51:59 UTC
Paul,

Massimo gave quite a complete description of TERSE...one little extra:

Because VSE never had PDS with other than 80 bytes as LRECL for the
member- the problem terse solves never showed in VSE. There have been
attempts by IBM to establish a TERSE counterpiece in VSE- but it never
made it. So: there is nothing that would stop you to use a TERSE on VSE,
but you have to realy look very hard to find one.
--
Martin
http://www.pi-sysprog.de
Fard mctater
2008-09-23 01:47:58 UTC
<There have been attempts by IBM to establish a TERSE counterpiece in VSE- but it never
made it.>

Not sure what you mean by "it never made it".  Terse does exist on VSE - it can be used to compress library members -- I have used it to do that.