[hercules-390] Errors in dasdload?
SpaceMan spancha@bellnet.ca [hercules-390]
2018-12-07 19:16:32 UTC
I have attempted to transfer source and macro libraries from a z/OS system to
MVS V3.8 by using dasdload to create a 3350 volume with 6 PDS datasets. When
I IPL MVS I can see the disk and the 6 datasets. When I edit the datasets
the index appears to be OK and the first few members seem to be fine. As I
edit members further down the list I see that parts of the some members are
missing and others report an I/O error.

I am running Hercules V3.07 on Linux Ubuntu 64 bit. The XMIT files were
created on z/OS V2.1 and transferred by email.

Has anyone else seen something like this? Is it possible that it is due to
the differences in the levels of MVS.

Sent from: http://hercules390.996247.n3.nabble.com/Hercules390-General-f3.html
'Dave Wade' dave.g4ugm@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-12-07 19:38:38 UTC
Well SpaceMan, using 3.07 is a bit like saying you are having problems with
windows/2000.
However it also possible that the datasets are in PDSE format that 3.8
doesn't understand.
I would try a newer Hercules first.

You will find later versions at www.hercules-390.eu but for the very latest
you will need to go here:-

http://hercules-390.github.io/html/

and build yourself.

Dave
Yahoo Groups Links
SpaceMan spancha@bellnet.ca [hercules-390]
2018-12-07 20:17:20 UTC
Post by 'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
Well SpaceMan, using 3.07 is a bit like saying you are having problems with
windows/2000.
I installed the version in my software repository. I am unaware of the
versions or their differences as I have only beenusing it for a few days.
Post by 'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
However it also possible that the datasets are in PDSE format that 3.8
doesn't understand.
No, I made them myself, I know for a fact that they are PDS.
Post by 'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
I would try a newer Hercules first.
You will find later versions at www.hercules-390.eu but for the very latest
you will need to go here:-
http://hercules-390.github.io/html/
and build yourself.
Thanks. I will take a look.

2018-12-07 20:40:16 UTC
Well SpaceMan, using 3.07 is a bit like saying you are having problems
with windows/2000.
I installed the version in my software repository. I am unaware of the
versions or their differences as I have only beenusing it for a few days.
If you are doing any work with less common pieces of software be aware that
the versions in Distro's is often down level.
For example If you want to emulate other older hardware using SIMH I believe
that the version in most repositories are also down level.
Post by 'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
However it also possible that the datasets are in PDSE format that 3.8
doesn't understand.
No, I made them myself, I know for a fact that they are PDS.
That tends to point the finder at DASDLOAD.
Post by 'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
I would try a newer Hercules first.
You will find later versions at www.hercules-390.eu but for the very
latest you will need to go here:-
http://hercules-390.github.io/html/
and build yourself.
Thanks. I will take a look.
Do let us know how you get on
--
------------------------------------
------------------------------------
Dave
kerravon86@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390]
2018-12-07 19:54:49 UTC
Post by SpaceMan ***@bellnet.ca [hercules-390]
I have attempted to transfer source and macro libraries from a z/OS system to
MVS V3.8 by using dasdload to create a 3350 volume with 6 PDS datasets. When
Any reason you didn't create a 3390 instead?
Post by SpaceMan ***@bellnet.ca [hercules-390]
I IPL MVS I can see the disk and the 6 datasets. When I edit the datasets
the index appears to be OK and the first few members seem to be fine. As I
edit members further down the list I see that parts of the some members are
missing and others report an I/O error.
I am running Hercules V3.07 on Linux Ubuntu 64 bit. The XMIT files were
created on z/OS V2.1 and transferred by email.
I use a derivative of 3.07, but haven't
attempted to dasdload XMITs.

I would have used zip instead. And on
the MVS 3.8j side used miniunz.

Another option would be to run RECV370.

Note that if you're planning on upgrading
Hercules, you probably want the SDL
version rather than the Hyperion that
Dave referenced. I believe that has far
more development activity.

BFN. Paul.
kerravon86@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390]
2018-12-07 20:37:08 UTC
Post by ***@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390]
Note that if you're planning on upgrading
Hercules, you probably want the SDL
version rather than the Hyperion that
Dave referenced. I believe that has far
more development activity.
The most recent announcement can be found here:

but it looks like you need to have "git"
installed in order to get access to the
matching source code, rather than
having a source code zip to download.

BFN. Paul.
'Dave Wade' dave.g4ugm@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-12-07 20:43:46 UTC
Post by ***@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390]
but it looks like you need to have "git"
installed in order to get access to the
matching source code, rather than
having a source code zip to download.
BFN. Paul.
There is a ZIP download available in GitHib.....
Click on the "clone or download" and you get an option to get a ZIP file.

Dave
------------------------------------
kerravon86@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390]
2018-12-07 20:55:34 UTC
Post by 'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
Post by ***@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390]
but it looks like you need to have "git"
installed in order to get access to the
matching source code, rather than
having a source code zip to download.
There is a ZIP download available in GitHib.....
Click on the "clone or download" and you get an option to get a ZIP file.
As far as I can tell, that gets the latest dev
code, not the source code that matches a
particular release, e.g. 4.1.

BFN. Paul.
'Dave Wade' dave.g4ugm@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-12-07 22:14:05 UTC
but it looks like you need to have "git"
installed in order to get access to the matching source code, rather
than having a source code zip to download.
There is a ZIP download available in GitHib.....
Click on the "clone or download" and you get an option to get a ZIP file.
As far as I can tell, that gets the latest dev code, not the source code that
matches a particular release, e.g. 4.1.
I believe that if you click on the button at the left which says "master" and then click on it, choose TAGS, release 4.1, you then can download it.
You can also get there from the "releases" heading, and again there is a ZIP or compressed TAR file.
I agree it’s a pain.....
BFN. Paul.
Dave
Yahoo Groups Links
'\'Fish\' (David B. Trout)' david.b.trout@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-12-07 23:18:49 UTC
Post by 'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
Post by ***@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390]
but it looks like you need to have "git"
installed in order to get access to the
matching source code, rather than
having a source code zip to download.
There is a ZIP download available in GitHib.....
Click on the "clone or download" and you get an option
to get a ZIP file.
As far as I can tell, that gets the latest dev code,
not the source code that matches a particular release,
e.g. 4.1.
Correct.

From the following main GitHub web page:

https://github.com/SDL-Hercules-390

click on the link for hyperion, which should take you to:

https://github.com/SDL-Hercules-390/hyperion

From there, you should see a bar of links (immediately above the big green "Clone or download" button) that lists:

commits branch releases environment contributors View license

Simply click the "releases" link and that should take you to the official release web page:

https://github.com/SDL-Hercules-390/hyperion/releases

where you can download the pre-built binaries -AND/OR- the source code for the latest release.

The big green "Clone or download" from the main repository web page will, as Paul correctly states, download the latest "bleeding edge" repository source code still under development which could contain bugs. (It doesn't usually, but it sometimes does.)
--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories
mail: ***@softdevlabs.com
SpaceMan spancha@bellnet.ca [hercules-390]
2018-12-08 12:12:23 UTC
I downloaded and compiled both V3.13 and the SDL version of V4 onto Linux
Mint 18. Neither of them will IPL from the MVS V3.8 MVSRES pack. I used
DASDLOAD with both versions to create a 3390 and use it with MVS V3.8 under
Hercules V3.07. I observed the same thing, that members were cut off and I/O
errors. I had not realized, from the things I had read, that Hercules was so
far from usable, and that I was taking on a development project to try to
use it. I suppose I might as well because I can't get my own software loaded
to play with.

I am assuming that as disk functions are basic, the I/O and disk structure
was settled a long time ago and have been used and massaged by many users.
This leads me to suspect that there is a more basic cause, which would be
the operating system I am running Herc on. I will give it a try on different
versions of Linux. What I need to know is one version of Linux that is
definitively known to run all disk functions correctly. I don't have a
Windows box to try it with.

Sent from: http://hercules390.996247.n3.nabble.com/Hercules390-General-f3.html
Mike Stramba mikestramba@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-12-08 12:44:18 UTC
Post by SpaceMan ***@bellnet.ca [hercules-390]
I downloaded and compiled both V3.13 and the SDL version of V4 onto Linux
Mint 18. Neither of them will IPL from the MVS V3.8 MVSRES pack.
Create a 'hercules.rc' file in the directory where you are starting
hercules from (where the hercules.cnf is).

----hercules.rc ---
rm log1
log log1

Then start hercules and enter a 'log log2' (no quotes).
This will start a new log file (log2), with 'log1' containing the
hercules start up info.

Now enter the ipl commands and quit hercules, and log2 will have the
ipl console trace.

You can then post log1, log2 here.

Mike
SpaceMan spancha@bellnet.ca [hercules-390]
2018-12-08 13:43:52 UTC
I have discovered what one problem is. On Ubuntu based systems the zlib
compression utilities must be installed before the Hercules V3.13 or V4
compilations.

sudo apt-get install zlib1g-dev

This overcomes the problem of IPL failure.

With V4 installed and MVS 3.8 IPL'd the dasdload still produces a disk image
that contains errors.

2018-12-08 14:03:48 UTC
Which mvs 3.8 are you using ( where did you get it ? )

You might try this version :

http://wotho.ethz.ch/tk4-/tk4-_v1.00_current.zip

Mike