[hercules-390] Bitsavers for S/360 shows an RTOS extension for NASA for OS/360
Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-10-27 02:18:00 UTC
Hello!
I've been doing some itinerant research for an interesting Hercules on
a Raspberry Pi project, other than VM/370. And I came across an
interesting entry in the OS directory, besides the usuals there is
also on concerning an RTOS extension that was either written by them
and fed back to IBM, then, or perhaps written for them by IBM itself.

Now the really crazy and bouncing off all four walls one, does this
particular gem exist someplace? This isn't the Goddard spool program
collection, this is something else, it might have what was used to
help us start for the Moon.

That's because in the same PDF regular directory not the S/360 one, is
one for NASA, and inside it are the recovered ones for the Saturn V,
and most of us know that the former IBM Federal Systems Division built
the computers who rode on the Gemini capsules and the Saturns, and
also on the Shuttles.

I realize this is a lot to consider for a Friday when most of us would
rather relax, but so it goes.

Oh and only two of us besides myself, will definitely get this, and
both of them have an audience looking over their screens.
-----
Gregg C Levine ***@gmail.com
Mike Schwab Mike.A.Schwab@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-10-27 04:12:22 UTC
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/360/nasa_rtos/RTOS_AFIPS_1969.pdf
Written by IBM FSD (Federal Systems Division) It used 1 to 5 S/360/75
with 1MB core each processor and 4MB extended slow core for buffering.
The enhancements included Queing and HASP spooling, which evolved to
the JES/JES2/JES3.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?R=19690000381
Minimum hardware S/360/50 with 0.5MB. OS/360 R14/R15/R16.

https://archive.org/stream/bitsavers_ibm360nasa_1472800/RTOS_AFIPS_1969_djvu.txt

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1185913&sid=f72b415233cd1894c02ce6d47c8b781e

Includes pictures of NASAs RTCC Real Time Computer Complex of modified S/360/75s
https://arstechnica.com/science/2012/10/going-boldly-what-it-was-like-to-be-an-apollo-flight-controller/
..
Post by Gregg Levine ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
[...]
Yahoo Groups Links
--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA
Harold Grovesteen h.grovsteen@tx.rr.com [hercules-390]
2018-10-27 15:19:02 UTC
Post by Gregg Levine ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
Hello!
I've been doing some itinerant research for an interesting Hercules on
a Raspberry Pi project, other than VM/370. And I came across an
interesting entry in the OS directory, besides the usuals there is
also on concerning an RTOS extension that was either written by them
and fed back to IBM, then, or perhaps written for them by IBM itself.
Now the really crazy and bouncing off all four walls one, does this
particular gem exist someplace?
This is the question I have been curious about myself.  Being able to
bring this back to life would be an interesting project.
Yahoo Groups Links
Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-10-28 01:47:54 UTC
Hello!
And now both of you know why I'd like to find it. It's part of the
reason why I got involved into computers to begin with. Heck! I
remember staying up during the historic flight to the Moon, and
watching a chap named Captain Kangaroo, effortlessly showing us how
important the trip to the Moon was for Apollo 12.

I figure logically that the code should be someplace. But as for
where? Got me there. Now that I realize that it was the OS behind the
entire trip to the Moon and back, and all of that, it adds to the
complexity.

Besides that, running stuff like what we do run is all lot of fun.
-----
Gregg C Levine ***@gmail.com

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 11:19 AM Harold Grovesteen
2018-10-28 04:29:11 UTC
I have no idea if he has any knowledge of this but he knows a great deal about the history - try asking Lynn Wheeler if he has any info on this.

Jim