[hercules-390] How to define an hercules LCS in Z/OS
louis@xtsoft.com [hercules-390]
2018-07-03 08:53:10 UTC
Hello

I run hercules 4.0 and Z/os 1.13 and I would like to define the LCS 420:421 to Z/OS.
During Hercules startup I get
HHC04100I TunTap64.dll version 3.3.3.3479 initiated
HHC00901I 0:0420 LCS: interface tap0, type TAP opened

Now I have to update HCD in Z/OS and I don't know which kind of CHP,CU,devices I must define.
At the console I used the command D NET=CHP and got the following messages.
If I can provide other useful information please let me know.

Louis

RESPONSE=CPAC
IEE174I 10.45.52 DISPLAY M 494
CHANNEL PATH STATUS
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
0 + . . + . + . + . . + . . . . .
1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
2 + . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
3 . + . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
5 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
6 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
7 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
8 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
9 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
A . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
B . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
C . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
D . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
E . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
F . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
************************ SYMBOL EXPLANATIONS ************************
+ ONLINE @ PATH NOT VALIDATED - OFFLINE . DOES NOT EXIST
* MANAGED AND ONLINE # MANAGED AND OFFLINE
CHANNEL PATH TYPE STATUS
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
0 1F 00 00 1F 00 1F 00 1F 00 00 1F 00 00 00 00 00
1 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
2 1F 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
3 00 1F 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
4 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
5 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
6 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
7 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
8 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
9 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
B 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
C 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
D 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
E 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
F 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
************************ SYMBOL EXPLANATIONS ************************
00 UNKNOWN UNDEF
01 PARALLEL BLOCK MULTIPLEX BLOCK
02 PARALLEL BYTE MULTIPLEX BYTE
03 ESCON POINT TO POINT CNC_P
04 ESCON SWITCHED OR POINT TO POINT CNC_?
05 ESCON SWITCHED POINT TO POINT CNC_S
06 ESCON PATH TO A BLOCK CONVERTER CVC
07 NATIVE INTERFACE NTV
08 CTC POINT TO POINT CTC_P
09 CTC SWITCHED POINT TO POINT CTC_S
0A CTC SWITCHED OR POINT TO POINT CTC_?
0B COUPLING FACILITY SENDER CFS
0C COUPLING FACILITY RECEIVER CFR
0D-0E UNKNOWN UNDEF
0F ESCON PATH TO A BYTE CONVERTER CBY
10 OSA EXPRESS OSE
11 OSA DIRECT EXPRESS OSD
12 OPEN SYSTEMS ADAPTER OSA
13 INTERNAL SYSTEM DEVICE ISD
14 OSA CONSOLE OSC
15 OSA NCP OSN
16 CLUSTER BUS SENDER CBS
17 CLUSTER BUS RECEIVER CBR
18 INTERNAL COUPLING SENDER ICS
19 INTERNAL COUPLING RECEIVER ICR
1A FICON POINT TO POINT FC
1B FICON SWITCHED FC_S
1C FICON TO ESCON BRIDGE FCV
1D FICON INCOMPLETE FC_?
1E DIRECT SYSTEM DEVICE DSD
1F EMULATED I/O EIO
20 RESERVED UNDEF
21 INTEGRATED CLUSTER BUS PEER CBP
22 COUPLING FACILITY PEER CFP
23 INTERNAL COUPLING PEER ICP
24 INTERNAL QUEUED DIRECT COMM IQD
25 FCP CHANNEL FCP
26 COUPLING OVER INFINIBAND CIB
27-2F UNKNOWN UNDEF
30 OSA ZBX DATA OSX
31 OSA ZBX MANAGEMENT OSM
NA INFORMATION NOT AVAILABLE
'\'Fish\' (David B. Trout)' david.b.trout@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-07-03 15:06:20 UTC
Post by ***@xtsoft.com [hercules-390]
I run hercules 4.0 and Z/os 1.13 and I would like to
define the LCS 420:421 to Z/OS.
[...]
Post by ***@xtsoft.com [hercules-390]
Now I have to update HCD in Z/OS and I don't know which
kind of CHP,CU,devices I must define. At the console I
used the command D NET=CHP and got the following messages.
If I can provide other useful information please let me know.
This does not sound like a Hercules question. This sounds like a z/OS question. Maybe you should ask IBM for help? Or one of the IBM support forums? (e.g. IBM-MAIN?) Even posting your question to the Hercules MVS support forum (H390-MVS) would be better than posting it here. This is the Hercules support forum, not the IBM z/OS support forum.

But as far as configuring your z/OS goes, if you have CTCI-WIN installed, the "Configuring Your Guest" chapter provides an example LCS configuration. I don't know why you're messing with HCD. I've always used device addresses 0E20 and 0E21 in my Hercules configuration for my LCS devices and it has always worked fine. I have never had to mess with HCD. But then I know almost nothing about z/OS too.

Ask you question to H390-MVS, not here. If they can't answer it, then contact IBM themselves. I'm sure they would know!
--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories
mail: ***@softdevlabs.com
Norman norman@desertwiz.biz [hercules-390]
2018-07-03 15:35:11 UTC
Fish. His question is appropriate for this forum.
Many folks here have configured this, and it’s sometimes
nice to have Herc questions answered in one place.

IIRC, 420 and 421 are already defined for AdCD confíes.
Pretty sure it is defined as a CTC, but I’d have to check.
The real challenge is getting the TCPIP parts defined properly
For 420 and 421, and making sure they are started.

Hope your doing well, Fish!
zN

Sent from my iPad. It's not my fault Apple can't spell and punctuate properly...
http://www.softdevlabs.com
'\'Fish\' (David B. Trout)' david.b.trout@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-07-03 16:24:58 UTC
Post by Norman ***@desertwiz.biz [hercules-390]
Fish. His question is appropriate for this forum.
If he was asking for help with configuring Hercules and/or with configuring CTCI-WIN so that his z/OS's LCS devices work properly on his local network perhaps, but he was asking about using HCD. That doesn't sound like a Hercules issue.

Now granted, he may have asked about using HCD because he was having trouble understanding how to get his z/OS's networking to work properly in a Hercules environment and was simply asking the wrong question because, due to his confusion, he thought that's where his problem was (which I hadn't considered! Sorry!), but asking for help with IBM products is, *technically*, not appropriate for this forum. That's all I was saying.

And even though his question was off-topic (IMHO), I *did* try to offer his *some* help! So at least give me some credit for that! :)
Post by Norman ***@desertwiz.biz [hercules-390]
Many folks here have configured this, and it’s sometimes
nice to have Herc questions answered in one place.
I understand. It just bothers me sometimes when people ask for help with whatever operating system they happen to be running on Hercules, and not for help with Hercules itself. It makes it harder for others to find posts related to Hercules issues when the forum becomes cluttered with questions about z/OS and other operating systems, etc. <shrug>

But I am not in charge of this forum of course. I am just one person and my opinion, by itself means little. I am not trying to run things here. I'm not. I was just making a suggestion that he might be able to get better, more focused/targeted help, elsewhere. <shrug>
Post by Norman ***@desertwiz.biz [hercules-390]
IIRC, 420 and 421 are already defined for AdCD confíes.
Pretty sure it is defined as a CTC, but I’d have to check.
The real challenge is getting the TCPIP parts defined properly
For 420 and 421, and making sure they are started.
I agree. Which is why I pointed him to the "Configuring Your Guest" chapter of CTCI-WIN's Help file.
Post by Norman ***@desertwiz.biz [hercules-390]
Hope you're doing well, Fish!
So far, so good! :)

Thanks for asking.

(And sorry to you and Louis and others about my response being perhaps a bit on the "grumpy" unfriendly side. I didn't mean for it to be. I was just trying to "nip a problem in the bud" so to speak, while trying to be help at the same time too. My apologies.)
mail: ***@softdevlabs.com
Norman norman@desertwiz.biz [hercules-390]
2018-07-03 17:11:21 UTC
On the other hand, this has been asked and answered multiple times.
It seems easy to ask questions without looking in archives or doing
some research. I’m pretty sure all my questions were usually answered
In the P390 Redbooks, or the zPDT docs.
I would agree, HCD help is best found in other forums.

http://www.softdevlabs.com
Ivan Warren ivan@vmfacility.fr [hercules-390]
2018-07-04 00:08:28 UTC
Post by Norman ***@desertwiz.biz [hercules-390]
On the other hand, this has been asked and answered multiple times.
It seems easy to ask questions without looking in archives or doing
some research.  I’m pretty sure all my questions were usually answered
In the P390 Redbooks, or the zPDT docs.
I would agree, HCD help is best found in other forums.
zN
Just asking...

But why LCS when QETH is available ?

--Ivan

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-07-04 02:32:29 UTC
Hello!
And I agree.

For example, let's take the default VM/370 users. (Original not six
pack.) I actually did ask on the regular Z/VM list regarding those
users, and one of the good people there, identified them.

Turns out that the one dedicated to producing a dump for IBM to
provide a meaningful understanding of the status of the system still
exists.

By the way Fish you did fine. I'm just convinced we need a FAQ to
cover almost everything inside Hercules. Including how to connect the
chosen OS to a chosen device.

Besides, the big problem is that one of us works underwater, and one
of us is being stared at by a funky statue, and two of us have an
audience problem.
-----
Gregg C Levine ***@gmail.com
--Ivan
williaj@sympatico.ca [hercules-390]

I didn't think QETH worked (under Windows anyway) ? I use LCS as well. When I tried installing z/vm 6.10 (sometime ago I admit), it wouldn't detect a port in Hercules, so I couldn't get past that step in the install.
'\'Fish\' (David B. Trout)' david.b.trout@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-07-04 04:31:13 UTC
williaj@sympatico.ca [hercules-390]
2018-07-06 22:26:56 UTC
louis@xtsoft.com [hercules-390]
2018-07-04 12:56:46 UTC
Hello Fish

You are right this is not a Hercules problem.
it is so easy to use this site that it has become a reflex.
I am going to try to find the solution on a pure Z/OS forum.

Thanks

Louis