[hercules-390] HLQ dataset Volume
smittyJA@comcast.net [hercules-390]
2018-11-08 16:12:45 UTC
When a dataset is created using a id of an HLQ, how does it know which disk volume to create it on without specifying the volume?

The reason I ask, I have a test system using Hercules and Z/OS 1.1. On this system I created a new disk volume (LEIDS1), a new user catalog (CATALOG.USERWK) , a new user called JS51, and an alias to JS51 pointing to the a user catalog.

All works fine except when I create a dataset using the HLQ JS51 I want it to go to a this new volume (LEIDS1) I created. Instead when I create a dataset like JS51.TEST1 it goes to a VOLUME called JASYS volume. SMS is generally not being used on this system. So what in the Z/OS setup (without SMS) tells it to create the dataset on JASYS ? I want to change it to point to LEIDS1.

Any pointers
..
Mike Stramba mikestramba@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-08 17:23:32 UTC
Post by ***@comcast.net [hercules-390]
So what in the Z/OS setup (without SMS) tells it to create the dataset on JASYS
I want to change it to point to LEIDS1.
Good question. I wanted to do the same thing awhile ago.

I *think* mvs / z/os just searches / assigns based on most available
free space, but that's just a wild guess :)

AFAIK (and probably / maybe stand to be corrected), you have to
specify the VOL either in your JCL or by filling in the 'Volume
Serial' field on the ISRUAASE Allocate New Data
Set" or VOLUME param using the ALLOC command.

Mike
..
'Sivaraam R.' sivaraam1@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-08 18:08:22 UTC
Yes...as Mike said in the jcl
'VOLUME=SER=(serial number of)LEIDS1' while specifying the other unit and
disp parms will be working fine.
..
'Jeffrey Smith' smittyJA@comcast.net [hercules-390]
2018-11-08 19:08:24 UTC
Yes, I should have mention If i used the field VOLUME SERIAL using 3.2 (ISRUAASE) and in JCL as describe in the previous reply it works fine but I have it working now,
Post by vitoriarest ***@aol.com [hercules-390]
The volumes are either storage or private.
I change the VATLST00 parm, LEIDS1 from 0,1,3390 to 0,0,3390 so it mounts as storage.

VIEW ADCD.Z110S.PARMLIB(VATLST00) - 01.04

Command ===>

****** ***************************** Top of Data ********

000001 VATDEF IPLUSE(PRIVATE),SYSUSE(PRIVATE)

000002 JASYS1,0,0,3390 ,Y

000003 LEIDS1,0,0,3390 ,N ADDED AS STORAGE VOLUME

****** **************************** Bottom of Data ******

So now if I use the 3.2 and allocate a new dataset without specifying any VOLUME SERIAL info it creates the dataset on the LEIDS1 volume, as least for now.

I'm not sure if this will stay this way when i add more volumes.

Mike not sure yet if the volume with the most space or extents is allocated first when there are multiple storage volumes will affects this?

I will do some more trial and error testing to see how this works. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Jeff

The volumes are either storage or private.

Learn about Aliases.

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S9+.

..
Clifford McNeill sycgm@hotmail.com [hercules-390]
Any pointers…..
vitoriarest vitoriarest@aol.com [hercules-390]

..
Mike Schwab Mike.A.Schwab@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-08 18:51:10 UTC
On z/OS, the SMS (System Managed Storage), four ACS routines checks to see
if the dataset should go to a Storage Group. These routines are written by
each installation and are often LPAR specific. It will assign a storage
group then the routine will select a volume in the storage group. If not
assigned to a storage group then the PARMLIB(VATLSTxx) use attribute will
specifiy Public for Temporary datasets and Storage for Permanent non-sms
datasets. These are custom and specific to each LPAR.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.3.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r3.ieae200/vatlst.htm
--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA
Norman norman@desertwiz.biz [hercules-390]
2018-11-08 18:54:18 UTC
Binyamin Dissen bdissen@dissensoftware.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-08 19:36:19 UTC
An unspecific allocation will go to a volume marked as STORAGE.

To prevent unspecific allocations to go to a volume, mount it PRIVATE.

On 08 Nov 2018 16:12:45 +0000 "***@comcast.net [hercules-390]"
<hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

:>When a dataset is created using a id of an HLQ, how does it know which disk volume to create it on without specifying the volume?
:>
Binyamin Dissen <***@dissensoftware.com>
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Tony Harminc tharminc@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-09 00:20:46 UTC
Post by ***@comcast.net [hercules-390]
All works fine except when I create a dataset using the HLQ JS51 I want it
to go to a this new volume (LEIDS1) I created. Instead when I create a
dataset like JS51.TEST1 it goes to a VOLUME called JASYS volume. SMS is
generally not being used on this system. So what in the Z/OS setup (without
SMS) tells it to create the dataset on JASYS ? I want to change it to point
to LEIDS1.
This is a z/OS question that doesn't belong on the H390 group. I can't see
that it has anything at all to do with Hercules.
Post by ***@comcast.net [hercules-390]
Any pointers
..
Ask on IBM-MAIN. There are lots of z/OS-knowledgeable people there.

"For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
send email to ***@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN"

Tony H.
Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-09 02:56:49 UTC
Hello!
Let us be polite to the fellow Tony. For all we know he's running an
older release of Z/OS (Ycch!) via Hercules, or even, (something forbid
it) a newer release the same way. And naturally we'd need to know more
about how our friend is indeed doing that.

And let us be careful, there's still a rumor going around (very fast I
think) that IBM does read this group and probably the others.
-----
Gregg C Levine ***@gmail.com
the Brent Building in LA.
Kevin Monceaux Kevin@RawFedDogs.net [hercules-390]
2018-11-09 03:48:19 UTC
Post by Gregg Levine ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
Let us be polite to the fellow Tony. For all we know he's running an
older release of Z/OS (Ycch!) via Hercules, or even, (something forbid
it) a newer release the same way.
Since he said he's running z/OS version 1.1, we all know it's an older
release. :-)
--
Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.
Tony Harminc tharminc@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-09 23:43:20 UTC
Post by Gregg Levine ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
Hello!
Let us be polite to the fellow Tony. For all we know he's running an
older release of Z/OS (Ycch!) via Hercules, or even, (something forbid
it) a newer release the same way. And naturally we'd need to know more
about how our friend is indeed doing that.
I believe I was perfectly polite. But regardless of the z/OS release,
IBM-MAIN is the place for this kind of question. I, personally, don't care
about the licensing status of anyone's system, and I doubt that anyone on
IBM-MAIN is going to ask either. But there are plenty of people on there
who will be able to help.
Post by Gregg Levine ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
And let us be careful, there's still a rumor going around (very fast I
think) that IBM does read this group and probably the others.
I don't doubt it at all. So how does suggesting that z/OS questions are not
right for the H390 main group relate to IBM's possible interest in the
group?

Tony H.
Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-10 02:25:46 UTC
Hello!
Yes you were.

But anyone who just joined the group might not think so. And the rest
is for the same reason.

And the z/PDT system is actually intended for the pro developer,
whoever that is, not the hobbyist.
-----
Gregg C Levine ***@gmail.com
2018-11-09 05:49:43 UTC
I truly hope that IBM does read this group, and maybe realizes that perhaps it wouldn't be a bad thing for them
to have "less expensive" options available to those of us who are retired hobbyists! But then again there's
those letters I-B-M .............. :-((((((

To: "hercules-390 hercules" <hercules-***@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 9:56 PM

Hello!
Let us be polite to the fellow Tony. For all we know he's running
an older release of Z/OS (Ycch!) via
Hercules, or even, (something forbid
it) a newer release the same way. And naturally we'd need to
know more about how our friend is indeed
doing that.

And let us be careful, there's still a rumor going around (very fast
I think) that IBM does read this group and probably the others.
-----
Gregg C Levine ***@gmail.com
"This signature fought the Time Wars, time
and again."
On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 at
[...]

Files and archives at:

Get the latest version of
Hercules from:
  http://www.hercules-390.org

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Traditional

    (Yahoo! ID required)

    hercules-390-***@yahoogroups.com
kerravon86@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390]
2018-11-09 08:33:37 UTC
People asked for something like that for years,
and IBM delivered it - zPDT - which costs less
than a car.

BFN. Paul.

To: "hercules-390 hercules" <hercules-***@yahoogroups.com mailto:hercules-***@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thursday, November 8, 2018, 9:56 PM

Hello!

Gregg C Levine ***@... mailto:***@...
[...]

http://www.hercules-390.org http://www.hercules-390.org

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Traditional

(Yahoo! ID required)

hercules-390-***@yahoogroups.com mailto:hercules-390-***@yahoogroups.com
John Murray john.ar.murray@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2018-11-09 11:40:40 UTC
Yeah, I combed through IBM’s site to find the price and I was shocked to find that the annual cost is more that my computers, phones and all my kitchen countertop devices. Probably my TV too. And that’s just the annual cost. A permanent license is in used car territory. This either fits in with IBM’s general soak ‘em pricing policies (software and hardware) or a way to dissuade hobbists like us. Strange because I can only assume that the pool of mainframe knowedgable folks is diminishing and if I were them I’d want to encourage us. The bigger the pool of potential empoyees, the more likely companies are to want to stay in the mainmain biz. Example in point. Oracle gives away copies of the database and Java, not to mention a few other things, if you have a developer’s account, which is free. Oracle is among that set of enlightened companies which believe that the more you can generate interest in your products, the better the likelyhood of future corporate licenses. And lets not talk about Linux.

This all of course assumes that IBM wants to stay in the mainframe business..

John Murray

2 Avenue de Peterhof
Paris 75017
France
[...]