Q: I cannot run the command IPL 150
Xavier Martorell
2002-10-25 10:04:10 UTC
Hi all

I have running Hercules 2.16.5 and MVS 3.8 over a DELL LAPTOP with 512Mb RAM and Xircom Ethernet card.

I'm following the attached guide but at the moment to run IPL 150 into the Hercules panel control I see:

"HHC107I IPL failed: Invalid IPL PSW: 00000000 00000080"

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Xavier Martorell, Systems Engineer
ICQ - 149301867
AIM - XaviMartorell
Novell, Inc., a leading provider of Net business solutions

Get 128 Bit SSL Encryption!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/JjlUgA/vN2EAA/kG8FAA/W4wwlB/TM
David Charles Booher
2002-10-25 12:41:20 UTC
Xavier,

1) Be sure that 150 is the MVS Residence pack for IPL.
2) If the IODF for MVS3.8 is on a different disk pack, then
it must be specified to Hercules in the "loadparm" statemtent.
The format is "loadparm hhhhllmn"
where hhhh is the four digit device address of the disk where
the IODF resides
ll is the 2 letter suffix of the LOADxx parameter
m is the prompt feature
n is the alt nucleus suffix

The loadparm layout is described in MVS System Commands.

3) Also, the DASD devices addresses you use in Hercules must match
the IODF addresses with respect to dasd type.

"loadparm 015100M1" tells the system the IODF is on pack 0151, use
LOAD00, display IPL messages but do not prompt for operator overrides
and specify the nucleus suffix of 1.

I'm not sure how the MVS 3.8 system is layed out or where you
received your IPL-able disk image. If you are following
instructions, then surely there should be something specifying what
LOADPARM to use.

Hope this helps,
Dave
Jay Maynard
2002-10-25 12:47:32 UTC
Post by David Charles Booher
2) If the IODF for MVS3.8 is on a different disk pack, then
it must be specified to Hercules in the "loadparm" statemtent.
The format is "loadparm hhhhllmn"
where hhhh is the four digit device address of the disk where
the IODF resides
ll is the 2 letter suffix of the LOADxx parameter
m is the prompt feature
n is the alt nucleus suffix
The loadparm layout is described in MVS System Commands.
...but it doesn't apply to MVS 3.8, or any pre-ESA operating system.

There is no IODF as such in MVS 3.8; it's all in the sysgen.

David Charles Booher
2002-10-25 13:20:06 UTC
D'oh!!! That's why I'm downloading the turnkey system to play with.
I've always worked on ESA systems.....

sorry for the incorrect info!!!
Scott Johnson
2002-11-07 22:10:31 UTC
Actually I'm getting the same problem. I'm using the OS360 version,
and installation scripts/documents by Jay Maynard.
(http://www.conmicro.cx/hercos360/getstarted.html) I believe I'm
following the instructions to the letter, but also getting the exact
same "Invalid IPL PSW" failure.

Any assistance or insight would be appreciated. I'm sure I'm just
missing something REALLY dumb.

--Scott
Jay Maynard
2002-11-07 22:33:29 UTC
Post by Scott Johnson
Actually I'm getting the same problem. I'm using the OS360 version,
and installation scripts/documents by Jay Maynard.
(http://www.conmicro.cx/hercos360/getstarted.html) I believe I'm
following the instructions to the letter, but also getting the exact
same "Invalid IPL PSW" failure.
Any assistance or insight would be appreciated. I'm sure I'm just
missing something REALLY dumb.
The dumb thing is that I haven't updated the doc.

Add the line
ARCHMODE S/370
to the two .cfg files, and everything will work again.

I've gone through that whole process again a few times lately; I really
should update the page. I've also added a couple of other things, like
fixing (mostly) the "TIMER IS NOT WORKING" problem.
Scott Johnson
2002-11-08 13:34:57 UTC
Well.. that moved me to the next phase. Please note.. this is
currently running under Windows 2000 with CygWin, and I forced the
connection port to 8000 to get out of the way of a few oddball
packages I was running here. I think my firewall didn't like 1052.
Unfortunately I locked down my linux workstation at home so tight I
can't even see the box, let alone access it from work. I hate to be
such a whiney baby about this, I did a quick search about that PSW
and somebody mentioned the timer.. your reply jumped right to my
head. If there's updates to the files, I'll be have to re-download
and give them a shot... All of this to just play around and try to
remember some of the stuff from my youth.. ::sigh:: I have no life ;)

HHC650I Control panel thread started: tid=00000588, pid=736
HHC630I CPU0000 Architecture Mode S/370
HHC600I Console connection thread started: tid=000004B4, pid=736
HHC610I Timer thread started: tid=00000468, pid=736
HHC602I Waiting for console connection on port 8000
ipl 150
0009:CCW=09FFD88A 0000001C=>C9C5C1F2 F1F8C940 D4D6C47E F5F040C1
IEA218I MOD=50 A
0009:Stat=0E40 Count=001C
0009:Sense=40000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
0009:Sense=INTREQ
CPU0000: Disabled wait state
PSW=000200FF 80000005
Command ==>
CPU0000 PSW=000200FF 80000005 0000000000000000 M.W.....
instcount=388296
Jay Maynard
2002-11-08 13:43:37 UTC
Post by Scott Johnson
If there's updates to the files, I'll be have to re-download
and give them a shot... All of this to just play around and try to
remember some of the stuff from my youth.. ::sigh:: I have no life ;)
Me either. :-)
Post by Scott Johnson
CPU0000: Disabled wait state
PSW=000200FF 80000005
This one means "no console". It tried to talk to the console and got an
error. You need to have the telnet client connected before you do the IPL.
Scott Johnson
2002-11-08 17:14:17 UTC
That did the trick and I made it almost all the way through to
section 5.3 before it decided to toss me another curve. now it's
whining about an invalid mount parameter or some such nonsense. In
any event, I'm done wasting a whole lot of time on it for this week.
Maybe I'll pick it up next week again, or maybe not. Again, this was
largely for entertainment purposes and I guess I really should
consider whether or not I need to be posting this many messages to
get through a single printed page of instructions.

Thanks again folks, and I'll repeat what others have said.. hercules
is some awesome stuff. keep up the great work.

--Scott