Z/OS demopkg download
etadinshrdlu
2005-09-28 09:05:16 UTC
I have installed Hercules on a Linux successfully. Next step is the
installation of Z/OS and later CICS TS.
I'm unable to find any Z/OS demopkg download under the IBM Partner
Software Catalog (yes, we are IBM partners).
Do you have the IBM's URL for downloading this ? (or any other
resource/torrent/whatever).

Thanks!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
j***@public.gmane.org
2005-09-28 09:13:25 UTC
Hello,

being IBM partners, you may have the ADCD cd's, if not bad luck the only
free solution is to use MVS 3.8 !!

cheers,

Jean Claude DREYER
support-***@public.gmane.org
jc.dreyer-***@public.gmane.org

+33 (0)1 46 08 91 19
+33 (0)6 24 63 16 26

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
etadinshrdlu
2005-09-28 09:39:44 UTC
Hi,
I'm a systems integrator, so I don't have mainframe knowledge.
Our needs are to execute cobol transactions through the Cics
Transaction Gateway, and I don't know the machinery (OS) necessary for
doing this.
You mean that with MVS 3.8 and CICS TS on top of that I can execute a
simple "hello world" transaction ?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
j***@public.gmane.org
2005-09-28 09:58:49 UTC
Hello,

i beleave that CICS TS will not work on mvs 3.8J
BTW, if you do not have ADCD or other IBM resource package on CD, you will
not have CICS either pre installed or available on CD

If youy are IBM partners, the best way is to contact ibm to get a flex
licence, so you will get the right , software and material to have a
running environment quite fast.

cheers

Jean Claude DREYER
support-***@public.gmane.org
jc.dreyer-***@public.gmane.org

+33 (0)1 46 08 91 19
+33 (0)6 24 63 16 26

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
etadinshrdlu
2005-09-28 10:17:47 UTC
Hi,
OK, I will run through the formal path of contacting IBM support ... I
was wondering to have a quick-success-route and setup a CICS
environment and play around along with J2EE world.

Thanks to all for your time and your work.
Paul Raulerson
2005-09-28 13:17:40 UTC
Well then, the anwer is pretty easy. Buy a copy of VisualAge COBOL
from IBM, or for a fraction of the list cost off of eBay,
and you will get a CICS development environment that is pretty
compatible with the mainframe TX environment. By pretty compatible, I
mean it is somewhat older than current day CICS, but it was 100%
compatible with the CICS in use in say, 1998.

You can actually run an entire multi-user production environment with
it, and it works just fine on a Windows 2003 server.

And yes, the CICS client connects to and runs just great with it,
including the gateway clients. Cheap, legal, and supported. :)

-Paul
Post by j***@public.gmane.org
licence, so you will get the right , software and material to have a
running environment quite fast.
cheers
Jean Claude DREYER
+33 (0)1 46 08 91 19
+33 (0)6 24 63 16 26
http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules
YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
Visit your group "hercules-390" on the web.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
etadinshrdlu
BitFlippa Bob
2005-09-30 16:04:08 UTC
Post by j***@public.gmane.org
licence, so you will get the right , software and material to have a
running environment quite fast.
The company I work for is a partner. I inquired about using ADCD or DEMO package z/os with hercules, they said no way and directed me to T3 Technologies. To use Z/OS under FLEX, basically you have to purchase a flex machine at a minimum cost of $13,500 (this gets you an ibm thinkpad with the Flex-es software running on it and a copy of the ADCD on it) they can also be leased for $450 per month. You are entitled ONLY to run z/os under the FLEX-ES software and only on the machine you purchase/lease througth T3 or one other company, ALL other emulators are PROHIBITED.

What this means is that it is not legal to run Z/OS under hercules at all.

Jay Maynard
2005-09-30 16:27:51 UTC
Post by BitFlippa Bob
The company I work for is a partner. I inquired about using ADCD or DEMO
package z/os with hercules, they said no way and directed me to T3
Technologies. To use Z/OS under FLEX, basically you have to purchase a
flex machine at a minimum cost of $13,500 (this gets you an ibm thinkpad
with the Flex-es software running on it and a copy of the ADCD on it) they
can also be leased for $450 per month. You are entitled ONLY to run z/os
under the FLEX-ES software and only on the machine you purchase/lease
througth T3 or one other company, ALL other emulators are PROHIBITED.
What this means is that it is not legal to run Z/OS under hercules at all.
That copy of z/OS, anyway. There may be other avenues to run it legally. We
don't know what arrangements IBM has made with all of its users. In
addition, IBM is known to use Hercules internally, and of course they can
run z/OS on anything they darned well want to.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/cd_AJB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
Adam Thornton
2005-09-30 17:05:15 UTC
Post by j***@public.gmane.org
licence, so you will get the right , software and material to have a
running environment quite fast.
The company I work for is a partner. I inquired about using ADCD
or DEMO package z/os with hercules, they said no way and directed
me to T3 Technologies. To use Z/OS under FLEX, basically you have
to purchase a flex machine at a minimum cost of $13,500 (this gets
you an ibm thinkpad with the Flex-es software running on it and a
copy of the ADCD on it) they can also be leased for $450 per month.
You are entitled ONLY to run z/os under the FLEX-ES software and
only on the machine you purchase/lease througth T3 or one other
company, ALL other emulators are PROHIBITED.
What this means is that it is not legal to run Z/OS under hercules at all.
It doesn't mean that at all.

It means that it's not legal to run the ADCD or Demo Package under
Hercules (unless, possibly, you're an IBM employee).

If you have a traditional license you quite possibly can run that
system on Hercules under your DR/testing provision, and if you are an
IBM employee, I think you have the right to run any company software
without restriction (I'm not at all sure how close to right I have
that statement; this may be more limited than I think it is).

Adam

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
BitFlippa Bob
2005-09-30 18:26:19 UTC
The information i provided in my post is accurate, the agreement for getting the ADCD disk that they wanted to have signed by me said you could not run z/os on any emulator other than FLEX-ES, and only on a FLEX-ES machine purchased through T3 and one other IBM approved company, it means what it says.

The DEMO package is not available to me at all even though I am a partnerworld member and work for an ISV.

Our company has several of these FLEX-ES boxes, we were told in no uncertain terms that running z/os is not permitted on hardware other the T3 laptops and not permitted under any emulator other the FLEX-ES from Fundamental Software.

If you were told otherwise I would like to know your contact at IBM. I spoke directly with people from IBM Dallas, which is the only place you can actually get the ADCD package from.

Adam
Adam Thornton
2005-09-30 18:55:31 UTC
Post by BitFlippa Bob
The information i provided in my post is accurate, the agreement
for getting the ADCD disk that they wanted to have signed by me
said you could not run z/os on any emulator other than FLEX-ES, and
only on a FLEX-ES machine purchased through T3 and one other IBM
approved company, it means what it says.
The DEMO package is not available to me at all even though I am a
partnerworld member and work for an ISV.
Our company has several of these FLEX-ES boxes, we were told in no
uncertain terms that running z/os is not permitted on hardware
other the T3 laptops and not permitted under any emulator other the
FLEX-ES from Fundamental Software.
If you were told otherwise I would like to know your contact at
IBM. I spoke directly with people from IBM Dallas, which is the
only place you can actually get the ADCD package from.
We agree on this statement of mine: "It means that it's not legal to
run the ADCD or Demo Package under Hercules (unless, possibly,
you're an IBM employee)."

I'm not arguing that it's legal to run either the ADCD or Demo
Packages on Hercules (unless, perhaps, if you work for IBM). I'm
saying that there are means to run z/OS that do not involve either
the ADCD or Demo Packages. That is in response to your statement,
"What this means is that it is not legal to run Z/OS under hercules
at all." I do not believe that to be a true statement.

Adam

http://us.click.yahoo.com/cd_AJB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
BitFlippa Bob
2005-09-30 20:55:17 UTC
Post by BitFlippa Bob
[...]

Adam I am not an IBM employee, also for Ferid I am not a troll nor do I work for Fundamental Software. I agee it may be true that IBM allows its own employees to run z/os with hercules. The big advantage over FLEX is that you can useu Windows and it is pretty cool having MVS in a Windows Window, not to mention that the cost per developer is $0 instead of $13,500 or 450 per month (assuming IBM gives the ADCD disk to them free). On the Partnerworld site they claim the adcd disk is a free download, providing you have a FLEX machine (they ask for the model and serial# of the flex machine).

Above you say "there are means to run z/os without the ADCD or Demo pkg", by this I am guessing you are talking about CCKDDUMPing the volumes from a live system. Does IBM allow you to do that? I have not asked.

Are you talking about some other way? if so please share.

The main reason I spoke up here is that after reading posts on here for months , it seems people here believe that IBM allows ISV's and Partner World Members to use the ADCD and i tried to go that route without luck.
Greg Smith
2005-09-30 21:24:59 UTC
Post by Adam Thornton
I'm not arguing that it's legal to run either the ADCD or Demo
Packages on Hercules (unless, perhaps, if you work for IBM). I'm
saying that there are means to run z/OS that do not involve either
the ADCD or Demo Packages. That is in response to your statement,
"What this means is that it is not legal to run Z/OS under hercules
at all." I do not believe that to be a true statement.
There's been a theoretical stated that if you have zos licensed for a
machine then you could

lpar->zvm->zlinux->hercules->zos

if the lpar is not using ifl's. (zvm is not a necessity either).

The only person I know crazy enough to do something like this is
*you* ;-)

Greg

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
Greg Smith
2005-09-30 21:27:59 UTC
Post by Greg Smith
The only person I know crazy enough to do something like this is
*you* ;-)
Ooops, meant Adam. He's done crazier things.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
Adam Thornton
2005-09-30 21:43:17 UTC
Post by Greg Smith
Post by Greg Smith
The only person I know crazy enough to do something like this is
*you* ;-)
Ooops, meant Adam. He's done crazier things.
Ah, much better.

And, yeah: NT-on-390 (or Mac OS (classic, not X)) so far win.

I suppose you COULD build PearPC on s390 and install OS X, if you
were very, very, very patient.

Adam

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
Paul H.
2005-09-30 21:41:38 UTC
Greg, what are IFL's?

Another method that works is :

Use CCKDDUMP to dump the IPL vol, the volume containing your IODF dataset and master catalog, and whatever else you need for a minimal system.
download them to windows , edit as necessary using zzsa your parmlib members for example that refer to software that you didnt download the whole volume for,
set up our hercules config file (use the same device numbers as they were before).

Greg
Paul H.

Greg
somitcw
2005-09-30 21:50:22 UTC
Post by Paul H.
Greg, what are IFL's?
LPAR set as PGMPRDOS RESTRICTED so only
things like zLinux will run. That way IBM
can sell large machines and zOS is only
licensed for what is used.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
Adam Thornton
2005-09-30 21:42:03 UTC
Post by Greg Smith
Post by Adam Thornton
I'm not arguing that it's legal to run either the ADCD or Demo
Packages on Hercules (unless, perhaps, if you work for IBM). I'm
saying that there are means to run z/OS that do not involve either
the ADCD or Demo Packages. That is in response to your statement,
"What this means is that it is not legal to run Z/OS under hercules
at all." I do not believe that to be a true statement.
There's been a theoretical stated that if you have zos licensed for a
machine then you could
lpar->zvm->zlinux->hercules->zos
if the lpar is not using ifl's. (zvm is not a necessity either).
The only person I know crazy enough to do something like this is
*you* ;-)
Replace that last "zos" with "zvm"--and get rid of the "lpar" because
our H70 is in Basic Mode (do those things even do LPARs?), and *I* am
crazy enough.

No, it's not useful for actual work, but it's DAMN COOL. It also
lets you make sure your software doesn't blow up on a 64-bit machine,
although you can't do performance testing as such on it.

Adam

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
scott
2005-10-01 02:05:05 UTC
Post by Adam Thornton
Post by Greg Smith
Post by Adam Thornton
[...]
I do believe that even an H50 would be able to do an lpar or two.

Scott

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
somitcw
2005-09-30 22:01:07 UTC
--- In hercules-390-***@public.gmane.org,
Greg Smith <***@n...> wrote:
- - - snipped - - -
Post by Greg Smith
There's been a theoretical stated that if
you have zos licensed for a machine then
you could
lpar->zvm->zlinux->hercules->zos
How about:

SCO> Flex-ES> Linux/390> Hercules> OS/390

I do have the Flex-ES and OS/390 licenses,
hardware, and software, but not the will or
time to do it.

SCO> Hercules> OS/390
might be possible with some work, but my
OS/390 license might not cover it?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
Paul H.
2005-09-30 23:00:54 UTC
I havent tried this either and I think most people on here just do this for fun and dont actually use hercules for more than a toy, whereas a flex system comes with support as well. I doubt IBM has interest in coming after people for playing with this as a toy .

somitcw <somitcw-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:--- In hercules-390-***@public.gmane.org,
Greg Smith <***@n...> wrote:
- - - snipped - - -

Adam Thornton
2005-09-30 21:39:38 UTC
Post by BitFlippa Bob
Above you say "there are means to run z/os without the ADCD or Demo
pkg", by this I am guessing you are talking about CCKDDUMPing the
volumes from a live system. Does IBM allow you to do that? I have
not asked.
Dunno; I'd think that if you were using Hercules as part of your DR
plan you could. I've never used CCKDDUMP, actually.
Post by BitFlippa Bob
Are you talking about some other way? if so please share.
The initial VM install, I just did from the install CDs; I had to
manipulate the TDF files to point to the copy of the CDs I made that
Hercules could see. This was like a ten-line perl program--really,
really easy, just changing pathnames and backslashes-to-forward-
slashes, basically. As far as VM knew, after that, I was installing
from tape. Then I just IPLed the first "Tape", and followed the
instructions (in terms of using ICKDSF to format the DASD and kick
off the initial install). It runs slowly (and by "slowly", I mean,
"a couple of days", but it *does* run.

After that, I had a basic VM system running, and the first thing I
did was to set up TCP/IP so that that system could talk to first-
level VM.

Then to copy those system volumes I wanted, I wrote a little track
server (with Dave Jones's help) and an equally brain-dead CMS
client. Since I had TCP/IP up between the first-level VM system and
the VM system running in Herc (CTC link to the Linux guest, and then
the Linux guest and VM both have virtual NICs on the guest LAN), then
I just did a track copy over the wire. The client asks the server
for a track; the server reads the track, and then spits it and a
checksum down the network pipe; if the received checksum and the
calculated sum agree, the client writes the track to disk. Lather,
rinse, repeat. Again, this was sloooooow, but I had time. Once
started it didn't really need intervention.

Presumably--I haven't tried this and it would *not* be legal for me--
I could (once the Herc VM system was shut down)--just copy the 3390
dasd images (which are just big, but perfectly normal, Linux files)
to any other Hercules anywhere else and bring the system up there. I
don't actually know if the images are portable across architectures
(specifically, x86 is little-endian and s390 is big-endian, so
certainly the possibility exists that they might not be) but I'd be
really surprised if they were not.

If you were planning on using Herc for DR, you'd probably want to a)
make sure your license allows it, and then b) build the track-copy-
server on a minimal system, and then use that to copy all your real
volumes. I presume that you could write a similar server and client
on z/OS although I don't really know.

Adam

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
Jay Maynard
2005-10-01 02:14:31 UTC
Post by BitFlippa Bob
Above you say "there are means to run z/os without the ADCD or Demo pkg",
by this I am guessing you are talking about CCKDDUMPing the volumes from a
live system. Does IBM allow you to do that? I have not asked.
Are you talking about some other way? if so please share.
...but not here. This is off-topic for this list. Please take it to
hercules-advocacy. If you want to tell me how it isn't off-topic, please do
it in private email.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC
http://www.conmicro.cx

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
Ferid Cholich
2005-09-30 19:03:28 UTC
I would not pay attention to these posts. I believe that "BitFlippa
Bob" is troll, and/or our friend PDW (or somebody else from FS).

Thanks,
Ferid.
--- In hercules-390-***@public.gmane.org, BitFlippa Bob

Peter D. Ward
somitcw
2005-09-30 21:39:55 UTC
It appears that bob_da_bit_flippa is not PDW
and not a troll. He is only confused. When he
is told that IBM states a restriction to non-IBM
users of ADCD, he expands the ADCD restriction
to mean only one of the many Flex-ES resellers
that can sell Flex-ES and there is only one way
for the entire world to get either MVS and zOS,
and other extrapolations.

The term "zOS" is not identical to the term "ADCD".
The term "MVS" is not identical to the term "ADCD".
David Wade
2005-09-30 20:11:03 UTC
Post by Adam Thornton
It doesn't mean that at all.
It means that it's not legal to run the ADCD or Demo Package under
Hercules (unless, possibly, you're an IBM employee).
I assume that you are basing this on US law, IBM has different rules in
different countries.
Post by Adam Thornton
If you have a traditional license you quite possibly can run that
system on Hercules under your DR/testing provision,
I must have a look at these, but again they will vary from country to
country. In addition some customers may be big enough to negotiate other
terms. For example in the UK IBM had to agree to support hardware and
software for 10 years before they could tender to the public sector...
Jay Maynard
2005-09-28 09:39:56 UTC
Post by etadinshrdlu
I have installed Hercules on a Linux successfully. Next step is the
installation of Z/OS and later CICS TS.
I'm unable to find any Z/OS demopkg download under the IBM Partner
Software Catalog (yes, we are IBM partners).
Do you have the IBM's URL for downloading this ? (or any other
resource/torrent/whatever).
You should contact your IBM representative to find out how to get the
demopkg, as it's not soemthignt he average user even has access to.

You should also make sure you can legally run the demopkg on Hercules.

Paul Raulerson
2005-09-28 20:20:29 UTC
Yes - absolutely. The only differences are in the way you define VSAM -all the definitions are online, and are tailored to the platform. Itworks very nicely indeed.

-Paul

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM