ARGH!
Jay Maynard
2003-05-16 23:38:08 UTC
Excuse me while I scream incoherently for a moment.

Ahem.
Yahoo! Groups is really pissing me off now. That's twice int he past two
weeks I've had my mail from there stopped because my spam filter triggerd
on a message. Please, folks, don't post HTML!

Now to catch up on this week's happenings...

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/W4wwlB/TM
Gregg C Levine
2003-05-16 23:49:23 UTC
Hello from Gregg C Levine
Jay? Please don't bellow at me, but what about using your influences
to change the settings on how people send the mail via the Hercules
list, via the management interface? Roger? Could you set things up?

Folks, what he says here, goes for me, on the H390-VM list. I shall
place anyone who does send things that way on notice.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon-XfrvlLN1Pqtfpb/***@public.gmane.org
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

Dave Gibney
2003-05-17 06:45:52 UTC
Reiterating once again, MOVE THIS THE F... SOMEWHERE not yahoo.
I get dropped and I don't have bouncing spam filters.
Post by Jay Maynard
Excuse me while I scream incoherently for a moment.
Ahem.
Yahoo! Groups is really pissing me off now. That's twice int he past two
weeks I've had my mail from there stopped because my spam filter triggerd
on a message. Please, folks, don't post HTML!
Now to catch up on this week's happenings...
http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules
Dave Gibney
Pullman WA

Get A Free Psychic Reading!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aM1XQD/od7FAA/uetFAA/W4wwlB/TM
Paul Raulerson
2003-05-17 15:15:02 UTC
And adding a third voice, Yahoo regularly drops my account for all sorts of
stupid reasons, but probably because I refuse to give them a lot of personal
information. I've noticed that UCE from Yahoo! will arrive, get zapped by
*my* spam filters,
and a few days later, I get an email notice telling me that Yahoo! has
suspended my Hercules subscription for xxxx reason.

Since the e-mail that arrives from Yahoo! is in HTML format, I don't believe
that the HTML has a darn thing to do with it.

AND HTML format is much more convenient to put any kind of detailed
information in, like program snippets, or tables, or a dozen other things
that make communications much more effective and understandable.

-Paul

Post by Jay Maynard
Excuse me while I scream incoherently for a moment.
Ahem.
Yahoo! Groups is really pissing me off now. That's twice int he past two
weeks I've had my mail from there stopped because my spam filter triggerd
on a message. Please, folks, don't post HTML!
Now to catch up on this week's happenings...
http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules
Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Post by Dave Gibney
--
Dave Gibney
Pullman WA
Volker Bandke
2003-05-17 18:16:47 UTC

Paul
Post by Paul Raulerson
AND HTML format is much more convenient to put any kind of detailed
information in, like program snippets, or tables, or a dozen other
things that make communications much more effective and
understandable.
This may well be. and therefore malevolent senders put little html
tags in their msgs that inform them that the message has indeed
arrived at a valid email address...

I have a nice little program which filters all html msgs and places
then in the waste basket. No questions asked. Sometimes I do a
check before emptying the basket, most of the time I don't.

What good is nicely formatted msg when it gets thrown away without
having been looked at?

With kind Regards |\ _,,,---,,_
ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,
Volker Bandke |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
(BSP GmbH) '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

And he's proud of the scars and the battles he's lost. -- Billy
Joel

(Another Wisdom from my fortune cookie jar)

Post by Paul Raulerson
--
Dave Gibney
Pullman WA
- ->
Paul Raulerson
2003-05-17 23:29:04 UTC
Well, Norton Internet Security usually takes care of that.

Also, the problem you describe is almost non-existent on lists like this,
because
the originator doesn't have any good way to set up custom tags to each
recipient, unlike a SPAM email blasting out direct e-mail addresses.

In other words, that is a red herring in this case, though not in your
average everyday
directly addressed SPAM of course.

-Paul

Volker Bandke
2003-05-18 07:12:19 UTC
Post by Paul Raulerson
Well, Norton Internet Security usually takes care of that.
How? Where is that setting? I haven't seen it (yet)
Post by Paul Raulerson
Also, the problem you describe is almost non-existent on lists like
this, because <rest snipped>
Agreed. But all my mail arrives firs tin the "inbox", where it gets
scanned for html, and other stuff, and only then distributed into
different topic folders. I.e. the HTML filter comes first. I have
set up a HTML white list (and you are eon it), but this list is
intended to be very short.

Usually I ask people if they send a message to me privately not to
post in HTML. If they then still go on using HTML ... too bad.

With kind Regards |\ _,,,---,,_
ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,
Volker Bandke |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
(BSP GmbH) '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write, it
should be hard to understand.

Post by Paul Raulerson
--
Dave Gibney
Pullman WA
- ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
- ---------------------~-->
- ->
Paul Raulerson
2003-05-18 14:19:23 UTC
Well, Norton Internet Security usually takes care of that.
How? Where is that setting? I haven't seen it (yet)
Under "Privacy Control" - you can set it so that if anyone or any program requests your
e-mail address, it will balk at sending it. It's pretty handy to have, though I admit, I use it a lot
less now than I did say, six months ago. I have a pretty extensive set of SPAM filters going
here, and a really intensive set going at work. Some crud still gets through, but less and less.
Post by Volker Bandke
Post by Paul Raulerson
Also, the problem you describe is almost non-existent on lists like
this, because <rest snipped>
Agreed. But all my mail arrives firs tin the "inbox", where it gets
scanned for html, and other stuff, and only then distributed into
different topic folders. I.e. the HTML filter comes first. I have
set up a HTML white list (and you are eon it), but this list is
intended to be very short.
Thank you, I appreciate that.

If you are using Outlook Express, you might want to setup the order in which filters are applied a little differently. In other
words, run the filter that catches e-mail from herc-390 and puts it where
it belongs before the general SPAM filters. On the other hand, I do agree that asking people to send e-mail in plain text format is
not really an unreasonable request. :)

I do try to remember not to send e-mail in HTML format to the list, but since I use Rich Text
format from Outlook for almost everything else, once in a while it slips through. I am probably
not a good fit for the average user though, since I constantly transfer around white papers,
chunks of technical documentation, and other stuff that requires a lot more formatting than
is average.

Yours,
-Paul
Post by Paul Raulerson
--
Dave Gibney
Pullman WA
John Cassidy

Post by Dave Gibney
--
Dave Gibney
Pullman WA
Per Jessen
2003-05-19 17:04:14 UTC
Post by John Cassidy
I'll chip in my $0.02. Our Network Czar has configured SNMP to reject
messages with spoofed addresses. So when I post this message to
hercules-390, yahoo'll try to send it back to me under my name and it'll
be rejected. Then yahoo'll suspend me and I'll have to re-subscribe.
Consequently, I don't post to yahoo groups very often.
Just in case no-one's mentioned it recently -

you can also read and post to the list here:

(other than that, I can offer to host the list on my jessen.ch server.
It doesn't have huge amounts of spare bandwidth, but it should be plenty for
running this list too.)

/Per
--
Per Jessen, Zurich