cckd updates
Greg Smith
2003-05-06 00:45:41 UTC
Ok, I've had it about up to here with all your moaning &
groaning and whinin' & bitchin' about cckd[1]. So I've
now implemented the following changes to current cvs:

o Allow compressed ckd devices to be any number of cylinders
o Issue meaningful error message when an image is compressed
using an unconfigured compression technique
o Issue meaningful error message when dasdinit is called with
an invalid parameter
o Removed any LIBZ dependencies from cckd code; allow BZIP2
without LIBZ
o Increase file size by writing zeroes if ftruncate() doesn't work

[1] Just kidding, OK. So I have a warped sense of humour; maybe
not as warped as Gregg C Levine's, but I'm working on it ;-)

Every one of the suggestions was valuable. I am *very* aware that
programmer laziness/ignorance/lack of insight can lead to hours of
frustration and lost time. So please keep the suggestions rolling
in. I consider each one very seriously, though I may grumble (well,
I've always done it this way -)

For example, Judah (remember Judah ??) clobbered some files by having
a naming conflict with shadow files and also clobbered files by
compacting them externally while a hercules instance was using them.
Code is in place to help prevent these kind of problems as a result.

I'd like to thank
Andy Kane
John McKown
David Booher
John Summerfield
Romain Capron
for the latest round of suggestions.

Meanwhile, maybe some of *you* can help me. I have some problems
for p.pfeilschifter where dasdtab.c entries are incorrect and are
causing problems. Suggestions are welcomed with gratitude. Also,
with the new shared device code, it seems that `send'ing and
`recv'ing small amounts of data (via tcp) takes a very long time,
almost like a `flush' needs to be issued... does anyone have suggestions/
insight on this ??

Oh, almost forgot. For the windows impaired, I've place a hercules.exe
in the files section (i686 + fthreads) for current cvs. I can't say
if it'll work with whatever cygwin dll's you have or not... Also there's
a problem in that hercules won't stop (looking into that one). See
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hercules-390/files/ hercules-win-20030505.zip

Thanks,
Greg

Get A Free Psychic Reading!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/cjB9SD/od7FAA/uetFAA/W4wwlB/TM
s***@public.gmane.org
2003-05-06 01:57:20 UTC
Post by Greg Smith
Ok, I've had it about up to here with all your moaning &
groaning and whinin' & bitchin' about cckd[1]. So I've
o Allow compressed ckd devices to be any number of cylinders
o Issue meaningful error message when an image is compressed
using an unconfigured compression technique
o Issue meaningful error message when dasdinit is called with
an invalid parameter
o Removed any LIBZ dependencies from cckd code; allow BZIP2
without LIBZ
o Increase file size by writing zeroes if ftruncate() doesn't work
This is TOO MUCH already;-))
Post by Greg Smith
[1] Just kidding, OK. So I have a warped sense of humour; maybe
not as warped as Gregg C Levine's, but I'm working on it ;-)
Every one of the suggestions was valuable. I am *very* aware that
programmer laziness/ignorance/lack of insight can lead to hours of
frustration and lost time. So please keep the suggestions rolling
in. I consider each one very seriously, though I may grumble (well,
I've always done it this way -)
For example, Judah (remember Judah ??) clobbered some files by having
You don't mean Israel's son?
Post by Greg Smith
[...]
I resemble that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have a problem coping with Windows. Windows can't cope with me.

I do have a Windows box here. Its about 145x100x24 mm, and labelled
"Quantum Fireball."

It's a pleasure doing business with you;-). Now, if you could only fix
that Windows box <;-;>
--
Cheers
John.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KXUxcA/fNtFAA/uetFAA/W4wwlB/TM
ivan_warhead
2003-05-06 08:44:25 UTC
<snip>
Post by s***@public.gmane.org
It's a pleasure doing business with you;-). Now, if you could only fix
that Windows box <;-;>
We can only do what is technically feasable. Eventually, maybe one
day we'll be able to turn hercules into a CF, or emulate the entire
extended Floating Point facility.. Maybe even Crypto Facility.. Or a
360/67... But fixing a Windoze Box ? You got to be kidding right ?

--Ivan
Gregg C Levine
2003-05-05 14:08:47 UTC
Hello from Gregg C Levine
Doc, don't open that envelope in the mail, tomorrow, it contains a one
way ticket to Kessel. There's nothing wrong my sense of humor.
Compared to Fish's or yours, that is. Next time don't go dragging me
into your current pattern of make believe.

Nice to know you've fixed the problems with that portion of the
Hercules base code.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon-XfrvlLN1Pqtfpb/***@public.gmane.org
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi
[...]

Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/W4wwlB/TM
Greg Smith
2003-05-06 03:03:24 UTC
Post by Gregg C Levine
Hello from Gregg C Levine
Doc, don't open that envelope in the mail, tomorrow, it contains a one
way ticket to Kessel. There's nothing wrong my sense of humor.
Compared to Fish's or yours, that is. Next time don't go dragging me
into your current pattern of make believe.
Wow... it's not often that I'm humbled like this. Obviously I
have a long ways to go. My apologies. Oh, and I did die a few
months ago, but won't hold that against you ;-)

G with the two G's

http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/uetFAA/W4wwlB/TM
Volker Bandke
2003-05-06 09:46:35 UTC

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/YoVfrB/XP.FAA/uetFAA/fXFolB/TM
kogtkartoffel
2003-05-07 08:15:57 UTC
Post by Greg Smith
Meanwhile, maybe some of *you* can help me. I have some problems
for p.pfeilschifter where dasdtab.c entries are incorrect and are
causing problems.
A few months ago I found and fixed a dasdtab.c problem for 3380. I
never commited the changes to cvs, since I'm having problem doing a
build from a clean cvs checkout using RH 7.1... got to fix that one
of these days.

I'll just repeat my post here if it can help you:

There are errors in the ckdtab tabel in dasdtab.c. The space
calculation factors (f1-f6) are incorrect mainly because some of them
are specified as 16 bit pairs but need to be specified as 8 bit
single values.

I found out this having lots of trouble using 3380 with Hercules
2.17. I finaly looked up the device characteristics in the oldest
3380 manual I have (newer manuals has 3380 connected to 3990
controllers). The correct specs are listed below.

ckdtab:

{"3380", 0x3380,0x16,0x20,0x0e,
885,1,15,47988,47476,1088,47968,222,0x0000, 1,
0x20,0x01,0xec,0x00,0xec,0x00,"3880"},
{"3380-1", 0x3380,0x16,0x20,0x0e,
885,1,15,47988,47476,1088,47968,222,0x0000, 1,
0x20,0x01,0xec,0x00,0xec,0x00,"3880"},
{"3380-A", 0x3380,0x16,0x20,0x0e,
885,1,15,47988,47476,1088,47968,222,0x0000, 1,
0x20,0x01,0xec,0x00,0xec,0x00,"3880"},
{"3380-B", 0x3380,0x16,0x20,0x0e,
885,1,15,47988,47476,1088,47968,222,0x0000, 1,
0x20,0x01,0xec,0x00,0xec,0x00,"3880"},
{"3380-D", 0x3380,0x16,0x20,0x0e,
885,1,15,47988,47476,1088,47968,222,0x0000, 1,
0x20,0x01,0xec,0x00,0xec,0x00,"3880"},
{"3380-J", 0x3380,0x16,0x20,0x0e,
885,1,15,47988,47476,1088,47968,222,0x0000, 1,
0x20,0x01,0xec,0x00,0xec,0x00,"3880"},

{"3380-2", 0x3380,0x0a,0x20,0x0e,
1770,2,15,47988,47476,1088,47968,222,0x0000, 1,
0x20,0x01,0xec,0x00,0xec,0x00,"3880"},
{"3380-E", 0x3380,0x0a,0x20,0x0e,
1770,2,15,47988,47476,1088,47968,222,0x0000, 1,
0x20,0x01,0xec,0x00,0xec,0x00,"3880"},

{"3380-3", 0x3380,0x1e,0x20,0x0e,
2655,3,15,47988,47476,1088,47968,222,0x0000, 1,
0x20,0x01,0xec,0x00,0xec,0x00,"3880"},
{"3380-K", 0x3380,0x1e,0x20,0x0e,
2655,3,15,47988,47476,1088,47968,222,0x0000, 1,
0x20,0x01,0xec,0x00,0xec,0x00,"3880"},
{"EMC3380K+", 0x3380,0x1e,0x20,0x0e,
3339,3,15,47988,47476,1088,47968,222,0x0000, 1,
0x20,0x01,0xec,0x00,0xec,0x00,"3880"},
{"EMC3380K++",0x3380,0x1e,0x20,0x0e,
3993,3,15,47988,47476,1088,47968,222,0x0000, 1,
0x20,0x01,0xec,0x00,0xec,0x00,"3880"},

I don't have the specs for 3375 but just recalulating 16 bit values
to 8 bit values gives these untested specs (0x5007 perhaps should be
0x0000??):

{"3375", 0x3375,0x02,0x20,0x0e, 959,3,12,36000,35616,
832,36000,196,0x5007, 1, 0x20,0x01,0x08,0x00,0x0a,0x00,"3880"},
{"3375-1", 0x3375,0x02,0x20,0x0e, 959,3,12,36000,35616,
832,36000,196,0x5007, 1, 0x20,0x01,0x08,0x00,0x0a,0x00,"3880"},

I've changed the 3880 entry in ckdcutab to match the same old manual:

ckdcutab:
{"3880", 0x3880,0x05,0x09,0x80000000,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0},

These changes made ICKDSF very happy...

Jesper

http://us.click.yahoo.com/YoVfrB/XP.FAA/uetFAA/W4wwlB/TM