OT: How do I order a hardcopy of an IBM manual?
'\'Fish\' (David B. Trout)' david.b.trout@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-19 20:34:18 UTC
How the frick do I order a hardcopy (print copy) of an IBM manual?!

I've done it in the past many years ago -- call their Publications department, speak to a live person, and place your order -- but it seems that technique doesn't seem to work today.

According to IBM's "How to order IBM publications" web page:

"Call the IBM toll-free number 1+800+879-2755
and select the Publications option (press 1).
If you are using a rotary phone, wait for assistance."

So I call that number and, OF COURSE, get a recorded message and not a real, live, living and breathing person, that says (exact wording):

"In order to better serve you please state the
name of the company and the 10 digit phone number
you are trying to reach."

So I say: "IBM Publications, 1-800-879-2755". A few seconds later the voice says "Thank you".

THEN, about 15-30 seconds later, they hang up on me! (WTF?!)

I tried several times with the same results.

So THEN I thought: "Maybe the guy that recorded the message recorded it wrong. Maybe he MEANT to say 'Please state the name of YOUR company and the 10-digit phone number WHERE *YOU* CAN BE REACHED'".

Nope. No callback.

I tried calling the main IBM switchboard and they had no idea what I was talking about! "Publications? This is IBM, sir. We sell IBM hardware. We don't sell books." (paraphrased)

Sheesh. What is it with today's world where you can't even speak with a human being anymore?!

Yeah, I could find a fax and fax them my order, but what information do I put in the fax besides my name and mailing address and the publication number I wish to publish? My credit card information?! I don' think so! That's why I want to speak with a real person.

I hate this shit. :(
--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories
mail: ***@softdevlabs.com
'Dave G4UGM' dave.g4ugm@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-19 20:48:27 UTC
I believe the answer is "You can't"

https://www-05.ibm.com/e-business/linkweb/publications/servlet/pbi.wss

"Effective July 29th 2013: According to e-Business strategy, IBM
Publications Center doesn't support ordering anymore. The Publications are
being made available in electronic format to be viewed or downloaded free of
charge."

Dave
G4UGM
Yahoo Groups Links
Mike Schwab Mike.A.Schwab@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-19 21:16:39 UTC
Download to your pc, upload to a print on demand web site (I have used
http://www.cafepress.com/mf/12452405/intentionally-blank-ash-grey_tshirt?productId=57267333
), then order at printing cost.
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA
'\'Fish\' (David B. Trout)' david.b.trout@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-19 21:36:44 UTC
Post by Mike Schwab ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
http://www.cafepress.com/mf/12452405/intentionally-blank-ash-
grey_tshirt?productId=57267333
Not interested in buying any T-shirts, Mike. :)
mail: ***@softdevlabs.com
'\'Fish\' (David B. Trout)' david.b.trout@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-19 21:33:32 UTC
Post by 'Dave G4UGM' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
I believe the answer is "You can't"
https://www-05.ibm.com/e-business/linkweb/publications/servlet/pbi.wss
"Effective July 29th 2013: According to e-Business strategy,
IBM Publications Center doesn't support ordering anymore. The
Publications are being made available in electronic format to
be viewed or downloaded free of charge."
Well hell, THAT explains it then.

(f**k!)

:(
mail: ***@softdevlabs.com
'Dave Wade' dave.g4ugm@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-19 21:54:11 UTC
business/linkweb/publications/servlet/pbi.wss
Post by 'Dave G4UGM' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
"Effective July 29th 2013: According to e-Business strategy, IBM
Publications Center doesn't support ordering anymore. The Publications
are being made available in electronic format to be viewed or
downloaded free of charge."
Well hell, THAT explains it then.
(f**k!)
:(
Looks like its downloadable as a PDF here:-

http://publibfp.dhe.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/dz9zs008.pdf

lots of on-line print services....
... probably best to find one local to to avoid shipping costs....
G4UGM
'\'Fish\' (David B. Trout)' david.b.trout@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-19 23:03:35 UTC
Post by 'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
Looks like its downloadable as a PDF here:-
http://publibfp.dhe.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/dz9zs008.pdf
I've already got the PDF.

What I WANTED was a real print hardcopy version.
Post by 'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
lots of on-line print services....
... probably best to find one local to avoid
shipping costs....
I'll have to shop around. It can't cost much. It's only 28 sheets of paper.

I just hope none of them are like Kinkos and refuse to print ANY copyrighted material. I've been down that road before and it's a dead end. Even if you have a notarized letter from the copyright owner or even permission from Almighty himself, they will steadfastly REFUSE to print *anything* that is copyrighted. Period. Amen. Get out of here.
mail: ***@softdevlabs.com
Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-19 23:32:08 UTC
Hello!
Try Staples, if there's a B&N near you who has that service try them.
---
Dave W, what is that Dalek and Cyberman doing in your front yard? And
why is there a (spare) Yeti with a big bag of rocks there?
-----
Gregg C Levine ***@gmail.com

Yahoo Groups Links
Dave McGuire Mcguire@neurotica.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-19 23:32:59 UTC
On 08/19/2016 07:03 PM, ''Fish' (David B. Trout)'
Post by '\'Fish\' (David B. Trout)' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
I've already got the PDF.
What I WANTED was a real print hardcopy version.
Post by 'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
lots of on-line print services....
... probably best to find one local to avoid
shipping costs....
I'll have to shop around. It can't cost much. It's only 28 sheets of paper.
I'm sorry, but...you don't have a printer?

-Dave
--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA

Files and archives at:

Get the latest version of Hercules from:
http://www.hercules-390.org

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
hercules-390-***@yahoogroups.com

hgservers@yahoo.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-20 03:05:25 UTC
FWIW, I have a local print shop around my house that we use... I had to get a manual printed for a 1980s synthesizer from a PDF file, it cost about maybe $20-$25 IIRC and it was about that size too (I'm actually out of town right now on vacation, so I can't look and tell you for sure). Included a nice binding, cardstock covers and good quality paper. Obviously a print shop by me won't do you much good, but that should give you a good idea as to what it should cost about. UPS Stores have a print service as well I think, so maybe look into those too as an option.

On another note - I can't believe (as in I find it rediculous) that IBM won't supply a hardcopy manual anymore - especially considering that their online RedBooks site is flaky at best most of the time for me (and I know that I'm not nuts about this one, due to a recent discussion that was had on IBM-MAIN about it). I also get frequent 404s trying to find manuals from before z/OS V2R1 on their Knowledge Center site - coming right off of Google search results, none the less. What I did end up doing is downloading their RedBooks app for my iPad, along with a few manuals from their website in PDF format which I find very handy/useful... but that still doesn't beat having a hardcopy of it all (well, besides not taking up much storage space).
'Bill Turner, WB4ALM' wb4alm@arrl.net [hercules-390]
2016-08-22 19:09:24 UTC
If you have a college or University near you, check and see if there is
a Copy Shop near them.
It has been my experience that they can print stuff for about 3 to 5
cents a printed page...

Some copy shops have a contract with the local College/University to
print student handouts, and may actually have a staff member to verify
if there are any copyright charges (which they collect and then pay back
to a central "depository/Clearing house"...)

Some have a minimum charge to print, some don't. Covers and bindings
are usually extra.

just my 2-cents worth.

/s/ Bill Turner, wb4alm
2016-08-20 21:09:00 UTC
Dave McGuire wrote:

[...]
Post by Dave McGuire ***@neurotica.com [hercules-390]
I'm sorry, but...you don't have a printer?
Of course!

But the document I'm trying to print is SA22-7871-08 "z/Architecture Reference Summary", which is a booklet:

Oh sure I could just print it out like a ordinary document wasting a lot of paper with all the wasted whitespace on each page, or even in 2-up mode (2 side-by-side pages on each side of the paper) thus wasting much less paper, OR I could even print it in booklet mode myself (which I already have), use a paper cutter (which I don't have) to trim the extra whitespace at the top and bottom of each page, fold the entire stack of 28 pieces of paper in half vertically, put a couple of heavy-duty staples in the middle using a heavy duty stapler that can reach at least 5 inches or more (which I don't have) to hold it all together, and VOILA!

I'd end up having something that somewhat resembles the real thing! (which I was hoping to be able to simply ORDER FROM IBM so that I could avoid all the hassle described above)

Does that answer your question. :)
mail: ***@softdevlabs.com
Harold Grovesteen h.grovsteen@tx.rr.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-21 15:37:41 UTC
On Sat, 2016-08-20 at 14:09 -0700, ''Fish' (David B. Trout)'
[...]
I put the PDF of a Reference Summary on a thumb drive, took it to FedEx
and used one of there printers. Did a nice job of dual sided printing.

By doing it yourself there are no issues about corporate policies and
copyrighted material.

Harold Grovesteen
hgservers@yahoo.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-20 18:54:04 UTC
Then is it a new orders only (while supplies last) thing now maybe? Or possibly a thing where they only provide hardcopy manuals through a support contract now?

Odd thing is, with my order of zVM 6.3 I received the Installation Manual as hardcopy. They must still be printing somewhere at IBM...
splegrand@yahoo.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-20 19:17:09 UTC
Odd thing is, with my order of zVM 6.3 DVD I received the Installation Manual as hard-copy. They must still be printing somewhere at IBM...
'Norman Hollander on Desertwiz' norman.hollander@desertwiz.biz [hercules-390]
2016-08-22 01:36:28 UTC
The Mechnanicsburg Facility is long gone.

G4UGM
wilfred@bigpond.net.au [hercules-390]
2016-08-22 10:10:35 UTC
They must have printed that pdf at some point. It says "printed in USA" with 10% recycled paper on the last page.

Anyone who has a printed copy, what does it look like. At 110 pages it can't simply be stapled in the gutter little booklet anymore. Is it a little ring binder or wire spiral or something else?
'Norman Hollander on Desertwiz' norman.hollander@desertwiz.biz [hercules-390]
2016-08-19 21:00:46 UTC
Just curious. What manual do you want? Hardcopy?

zN

mail: ***@softdevlabs.com <mailto:***@softdevlabs.com>
'\'Fish\' (David B. Trout)' david.b.trout@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-19 21:31:04 UTC
Just curious... What manual do you want? Hardcopy?
SA22-7871-08

Mine is the -01 version, a bit dated (2003). I'd like a new one.
mail: ***@softdevlabs.com
'Norman Hollander on Desertwiz' norman.hollander@desertwiz.biz [hercules-390]
2016-08-22 01:35:48 UTC
Fish-

I just got the -8 version along with z/OS 2.2 (actually -7 and went back and
got the most current).

When I'm in Adobe Reader, I can print, and in the Advanced Options part of
the screen is section

for printing on Both Side, and there is a Booklet button. It gets a little
small on 8.5x11 paper, but

I was able to print and the fold the paper in half. Is this what you are
looking for? If you don't have

a printer that does this (I have an HP 8630 inkjet), maybe Staples could
print it for you? Or I'd be

happy to print it and send it. No Bigh Deal.

zN

2016-08-22 16:51:33 UTC
Norman Hollander wrote:

[...]
Post by 'Norman Hollander on Desertwiz' ***@desertwiz.biz [hercules-390]
When I'm in Adobe Reader, I can print, and in the
Advanced Options part of the screen is section for
printing on Both Side, and there is a Booklet button.
It gets a little small on 8.5x11 paper,
Unless you use portrait orientation AND change one of the other settings too (I forget which one. "Long Edge"?) that causes the booklet to be printed thus:

+----+----+
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
+----+----+
Post by 'Norman Hollander on Desertwiz' ***@desertwiz.biz [hercules-390]
but I was able to print and the fold the paper in half.
Yep. I was able to too. Adobe Reader does it correctly. My printer's "booklet mode" doesn't. So I used Adobe Reader and another program called "Doro PDF Writer" and printed my booklet to another PDF file and then printed THAT file on my laser printer.
Post by 'Norman Hollander on Desertwiz' ***@desertwiz.biz [hercules-390]
Is this what you are looking for?
Yes.
Post by 'Norman Hollander on Desertwiz' ***@desertwiz.biz [hercules-390]
If you don't have a printer that does this (I have
an HP 8630 inkjet), maybe Staples could print it
for you? Or I'd be happy to print it and send it.
No Big Deal...
Thanks for the offer, but no, you don't need to do that.

I have a nice laser printer and have already printed it and it mostly looks fine (but is currently unbound (unstapled) which ISN'T fine).

I just prefer having the REAL THING rather than this cheap, self printed knockoff, you know?

(sigh)

I'll investigate Staples and the few other places people have mentioned. (*)

Thanks.

(*) When I find the time which probably going to be never since I don't own a car and have to take the bus everywhere I go which is a PITA.
mail: ***@softdevlabs.com
'Norman Hollander on Desertwiz' norman.hollander@desertwiz.biz [hercules-390]
2016-08-22 17:14:31 UTC
Glad you got it to work. I do still maintain a disk with all the z/OS,
z/VM, White Papers, and

Redbooks, plus more. Think I've sent this to you in the past, and I've just
updated for z/OS 2.2.

Waiting on the latest Share presentations, and I'm happy to share it.

zN

2016-08-22 17:56:21 UTC
Post by 'Norman Hollander on Desertwiz' ***@desertwiz.biz [hercules-390]
Glad you got it to work. I do still maintain a disk
with all the z/OS, z/VM, White Papers, and Redbooks,
plus more.
I have an "IBM pubs" directory with 2.5 GB of IBM manuals, Redbooks, share presentations (slides), whitepapers and more.
Post by 'Norman Hollander on Desertwiz' ***@desertwiz.biz [hercules-390]
Think I've sent this to you in the past, and I've just
updated for z/OS 2.2. Waiting on the latest Share
presentations, and I'm happy to share it.
Thanks, but no. When I need a manual I just download the latest from IBM and add it to my ever growing collection.

(I appreciate the offer though!)
mail: ***@softdevlabs.com
Tony Harminc tharminc@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-19 21:35:13 UTC
On 19 August 2016 at 16:34, ''Fish' (David B. Trout)'
Post by '\'Fish\' (David B. Trout)' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
How the frick do I order a hardcopy (print copy) of an IBM manual?!
You don't. IBM (once supposedly the world's largest publisher) simply
doesn't do hardcopy anymore.
Post by '\'Fish\' (David B. Trout)' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
"Call the IBM toll-free number 1+800+879-2755
and select the Publications option (press 1).
If you are using a rotary phone, wait for assistance."
IBM is notorious, for a large corporation, at letting stale web pages
hang around in zombie mode - looking alive and current, but with
outdated information and obsolete links and phone numbers. You'd think
that a computer company...
Post by '\'Fish\' (David B. Trout)' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
"In order to better serve you please state the
name of the company and the 10 digit phone number
you are trying to reach."
I'm willing to bet that this one -- like essentially all out of
service 800 numbers -- has been taken over by some kind of
scam/spam/porn outfit. There's a reason North America has gone from
800 to 888, 877, 866, 855, and now 844 toll-free numbers. It's not
that the overall demand is increasing; it's that the old ones are all
grabbed by dodgy organizations. I don't understand the business
reasons for this to make sense, but it seems to be the way. I very
much doubt that the recording was from or by IBM.

Download and print is pretty much the only way to get a hardcopy IBM
manual these days. And those old ones that predate the softcopy
formats are essentially gone; IBM purged much of the archives years
ago, and there just may be no copies in thre world. Bitsavers et al
and various private collections are about it.

Tony H.
'\'Fish\' (David B. Trout)' david.b.trout@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-19 22:05:51 UTC
Tony Harminc wrote:

[...]
Post by Tony Harminc ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
Download and print is pretty much the only way
to get a hardcopy IBM manual these days. [...]
Yep. That's the only conclusion (sad realization) I'm able to arrive at too. Which sucks of course. Call me old fashioned but I prefer hardcopy. Reminds me of the Star Trek (original series) episode about Kirk being charged with some crime or other and his lawyer was some old guy who preferred real books.

I have a nice Brother laser printer that *supposedly* can print documents in 2-sided "booklet" mode (so you can just take the stack of pages and fold it down the middle and all the pages will be in the right order), but it doesn't work right of course. I want to be able to print in portrait mode (long side vertical, short side horizontal, 2 pages per side, 4 pages per sheet), but no matter what combination of options I try their damn printer driver keeps printing it the same damn WRONG way each freaking time. I've wasted half a ream of paper already trying to get the damn thing to print correctly.

I'm currently downloading the free Adobe Reader/Viewer in the hope that maybe it will know how to print booklets intelligently.

And if THAT doesn't work, then I've got PDF tools to burst the document into individual pages and then put them back together again in whatever order you want and I'm going to try using that to put the pages into the proper "booklet" order so I can then maybe try printing it in 2-up mode (where it prints two pages, side by side, on each side of the paper).

Sheesh. What a royal PITA. :(
mail: ***@softdevlabs.com
peter_flass@yahoo.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-20 22:02:48 UTC
We always used to just call the branch and talk to our kocal guy. Does this not work any more? Is there even still a local branch staffed by real people?
'\'Fish\' (David B. Trout)' david.b.trout@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-21 03:23:00 UTC
Post by ***@yahoo.com [hercules-390]
We always used to just call the branch and talk to
our local guy. Does this not work any more? Is there
even still a local branch staffed by real people?
Good question Peter. I don't know. I don't even think I have a rep. I have an account at IBM that I created years ago that I've used in years past to order publications, but I don't think it's an account that comes with a rep.