I'm downloading z/VM from IBM...
dtpi_pappas
2008-12-09 22:58:25 UTC
Jay -- can you elaborate on how someone was able to run the trial
under Hercules? I understand that you have to do it as a second-
level system under z/VM. How do you simulate the DVD-RAM drive?
I'm trying to figure out if Herc fakes an HMC DVD, and if so,
how. If
it doesn't, the availability of this trial might act as an
incentive :-)
It doesn't, yet.
The trial has been run on Hercules, though it's not trivial to set
up and,
at this moment, requires a running z/VM system for some
preparation steps.
Work is in progress to make it possible to run without that.
FWIW, there's an interesting bit in the license...but that belongs
on
hercules-advocacy, not here.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)
Buy Hercules stuff at http://www.cafepress.com/hercules-390
Jay Maynard
2008-12-09 23:42:22 UTC
Post by dtpi_pappas
Jay -- can you elaborate on how someone was able to run the trial
under Hercules? I understand that you have to do it as a second-
level system under z/VM. How do you simulate the DVD-RAM drive?
The DVD-RAM drive is only needed to load the initial ramdisk image, and to
save it again if the user calls for that. It can be run natively under
Hercules, but there's some preparation work that has to be either done under
z/VM or else with a couple of special tools. Those tools have not been
released as yet, and they're not part of the Hercules project (which is why
I haven't jumped back into this discussio before now).
Robin Atwood
2008-12-10 12:18:18 UTC
Post by Jay Maynard
Those tools have not
been released as yet, and they're not part of the Hercules project (which
is why I haven't jumped back into this discussio before now).
Which begs the question, which project and whose? :)

-Robin
Robin Atwood
Fausto
2009-03-12 00:37:22 UTC
Hello all,

any news about this subject?
I'm trying... but even if I am able too boot using "ipl zvm.ins", I don't know how to "mount" the ramdisk.
I tried with creating a TDF file, but the ipl stops at the beginning.

Here is my conf file:

ARCHMODE ESAME
OSTAILOR VM
CPUSERIAL 000612
CPUMODEL 3090
MAINSIZE 512
ECPSVM yes
PGMPRDOS licensed

0000 SYSG

0180 3420 zvm.tdf
371a 3390 pg3711
371b 3390 sp3711

Thanks in advance,
Fausto
Robin Atwood
jim s
2009-03-12 00:57:58 UTC
Fausto,
at least there was a note that zvm eval version requires 3gb, so your
512 mainsize will not work.

I do not know what is on the download disk image in the way of files,
but I suspect you will have to extract the zvm.tdf, pg3711, and sp3711
files somewhere that hercules can access them. Is that what you are
referring to when you mention "mount" ramdisk?
Fausto
Fausto Saporito
2009-03-12 06:55:06 UTC
Jim,

I created the tdf and disk files.
All of them are in the same directory.

My tdf is:

@TDF
c:\zvm\zvm.nucleus FIXED 1024
TM
c:\\zvm\zvm.ramdisk FIXED 1024
TM
TM
EOT

when I try to ipl, I have this...

ipl ZVM.ins
HHCCP002I CPU0000 thread started: tid=00001CFC, pid=4692, priority=15
HHCTT002I Timer thread started: tid=00001D2C, pid=4692, priority=0
HHCCP003I CPU0000 architecture mode z/Arch
CPU0000: SIGP Set architecture mode (12) CPU0000, PARM 0000000000000001: CC 0
HHCCP011I CPU0000: Disabled wait state
PSW=00020001 80000000 0000000000009082
HHCAO001I Hercules Automatic Operator thread started;
tid=0000166C, pri=0, pid=4692

Do you think this is related to the memory issue?

Thanks,

Dave Wade
2009-03-12 08:11:14 UTC
Post by Fausto Saporito
Jim,
I created the tdf and disk files.
All of them are in the same directory.
@TDF
c:\zvm\zvm.nucleus FIXED 1024
TM
c:\\zvm\zvm.ramdisk FIXED 1024
TM
TM
EOT
when I try to ipl, I have this...
ipl ZVM.ins
HHCCP002I CPU0000 thread started: tid=00001CFC, pid=4692, priority=15
HHCTT002I Timer thread started: tid=00001D2C, pid=4692, priority=0
HHCCP003I CPU0000 architecture mode z/Arch
CPU0000: SIGP Set architecture mode (12) CPU0000, PARM 0000000000000001: CC 0
HHCCP011I CPU0000: Disabled wait state
PSW=00020001 80000000 0000000000009082
The wait states, in this case 9082 are explained in the documentation
you can download from the IBM web site.
Alexey Bozrikov
2009-03-12 08:49:19 UTC
FS> Jim,

FS> I created the tdf and disk files.
FS> All of them are in the same directory.

FS> My tdf is:

FS> @TDF
FS> c:\zvm\zvm.nucleus FIXED 1024
FS> TM
FS> c:\\zvm\zvm.ramdisk FIXED 1024
FS> TM
FS> TM
FS> EOT

FS> when I try to ipl, I have this...

FS> ipl ZVM.ins
FS> HHCCP002I CPU0000 thread started: tid=00001CFC, pid=4692, priority=15
FS> HHCTT002I Timer thread started: tid=00001D2C, pid=4692, priority=0
FS> HHCCP003I CPU0000 architecture mode z/Arch
FS> CPU0000: SIGP Set architecture mode (12) CPU0000, PARM 0000000000000001: CC 0
FS> HHCCP011I CPU0000: Disabled wait state
FS> PSW=00020001 80000000 0000000000009082
FS> HHCAO001I Hercules Automatic Operator thread started;
FS> tid=0000166C, pri=0, pid=4692

FS> Do you think this is related to the memory issue?

FS> Thanks,
FS> Fausto

Yes, absolutely. The very first result on Google got an answer:

9082 Storage size too small

Alex

Post by Fausto
Hello all,
any news about this subject?
I'm trying... but even if I am able too boot using "ipl zvm.ins", I don't know how to "mount" the ramdisk.
I tried with creating a TDF file, but the ipl stops at the beginning.
ARCHMODE ESAME
OSTAILOR VM
CPUSERIAL 000612
CPUMODEL 3090
MAINSIZE 512
ECPSVM yes
PGMPRDOS licensed
0000 SYSG
0180 3420 zvm.tdf
371a 3390 pg3711
371b 3390 sp3711
Thanks in advance,
Fausto
** How 'bout coming up to my place for a spot of heavy breathing?

------------------------------------
Jay Maynard
2009-03-12 12:37:30 UTC
Post by Fausto Saporito
I created the tdf and disk files.
All of them are in the same directory.
You're over-thinking it. You don't need the TDF. I'm told that all you need
to do is place ZVM.* and ZVMBOOT.* in the same directory, then do "ipl
zvm.ins". Make sure you have LOADPARM CONSSYSG and MAINSIZE 3072 (minimum),
as well as a definition for the SYSG device and any others ou might want
(such as DASD or 3270).
demucserber
2009-03-12 13:06:43 UTC
Jay,

you're absolutely right, that does the trick - at least for me.
Booting took some minutes; afterwards you can do a force drain and set the clock.

Only some keyboard issues now with my X session from MacOSX to the SYSG console on the server where hercules is running (DELL R100 4GB, dual XEON, SLES10 64 BIT)

Lets see what happens next....

@Fausto,
please let us know if this is working for you as well.

Thank you.

Michael Bernstein
Fausto
2009-03-12 17:46:25 UTC
Hello,

I have Windows VISTA Business 32-bit, on a DELL XPS M1530, with 4 GB RAM, but I cannot start hercules with 3GB of MAINSIZE... "Cannot obtain 3000MB of main storage: Not enough space".

So I have to switch to another system.

As soos as I can do it, I'll let you know if it's working.

thanks a lot,
Fausto
iirc XP can support 3GB.
No idea about Vista, I'm trying to avoid it for as long as possible hoping (in
vain no doubt) it goes the same way as ME. (Thought Vista *has* saved me
money already: I'm not buying a new laptop till this saga plays itself out).
Oh and it needs 3 gigs of RAM so its going to need 64 bit windows ,
not sure
about Linux...
I thought 32-bit Windows Vista could support 3 or
3.5 GB depending on configuration?
BFN. Paul.
Mike Schwab
2009-03-12 18:20:07 UTC
You can never get 3Gb of Mainframe RAM allocated on a 32bit Windows system.
The most you can ever hope is a 3GB address space for Hercules and to get
that you would need to tweak the system. For vista its documented here:-

http://www.prophotowiki.com/w/index.php/IncreaseUserVa

and for XP here

However that depends on the program being linked with the

"/LARGEADDRESSAWARE"

and having never built it I am not sure it is.

Dave Wade G4UGM
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Bob Brown
2009-03-12 18:31:25 UTC
What about on a vista-64 system with 4G of actual real memory? Is it possible on that system to get z/vm eval edition under hercules to boot, and then to copy the ramdisk into a simulated mainframe disk, so that the z/vm system can then be booted on a system with much less than 3G of memory allocated to hercules?

thanks.
-Bob

bbrown-***@public.gmane.org #### #### Bob Brown - KB9LFR
Harper Community College ## ## ## Supervisor of Operations
Palatine IL USA #### #### Saved by grace

Dave Wade
2009-03-12 19:26:04 UTC
Bob,

To be honest I have no idea. All the messages I have seen about getting
large amounts of RAM have been done using Linux.

laddiehanus
2009-03-12 20:04:21 UTC
Post by Bob Brown
What about on a vista-64 system with 4G of actual real memory? Is it possible on that system to get z/vm eval edition under hercules to boot, and then to copy the ramdisk into a simulated mainframe disk, so that the z/vm system can then be booted on a system with much less than 3G of memory allocated to hercules?
thanks.
-Bob
Does not work, CPLOAD MODULE does not exist on the Ramdisk. Will ipl only off the simulated DVD.

Laddie Hanus
Pasi Pirhonen
2009-03-12 21:09:37 UTC
Hi,
Post by laddiehanus
Does not work, CPLOAD MODULE does not exist on the Ramdisk. Will ipl only off the simulated DVD.
Why do you say so as it's not true?

Something like .....

--- CLIP CLIP
dasdinit zvm.530PEM.FBA 3370 530RES 4000000

ATTACH 400 *
cprel a
link * cf1 cf1 mr
acc cf1 z
acc 193 t
COPY CPLOAD MODULE T = = Z (OLDD
rel z (det
cpacc maint cf1 a rr
DDR

SYSPRINT CONS
INPUT 123 9336
OUTPUT 400 3370
COPY ALL
--- CLIP CLIP

... might do something. DDR will crash at end, but that is expected. Modify as needed.

note: This is propably totally against any license that might even
remotely allow any version of z/VM ran under hercules. This is just
speculative set of commands that might or might not do something ...
and bla bla .... i don't encourage anyone to use these speculative
instrcutions for anything. It's only provided to make a point that
CPLOAD MODULE is indeed out there.
--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi-***@public.gmane.org - http://pasi.pirhonen.eu/
Top-postings silently ignored
laddiehanus
2009-03-12 21:24:12 UTC
Post by Pasi Pirhonen
Hi,
Post by laddiehanus
Does not work, CPLOAD MODULE does not exist on the Ramdisk. Will ipl only off the simulated DVD.
Why do you say so as it's not true?
Maybe because I got a 6739 wait state code that says CPLOAD MODULE not found and the module was not found on the CF1 disk.

One would not expect to copy it from the maint disks as you have done. Please dont be so rude.

Laddie Hanus
Pasi Pirhonen
2009-03-12 21:46:40 UTC
Hi,
Post by laddiehanus
Post by Pasi Pirhonen
Hi,
Post by laddiehanus
Does not work, CPLOAD MODULE does not exist on the Ramdisk. Will ipl only off the simulated DVD.
Why do you say so as it's not true?
Maybe because I got a 6739 wait state code that says CPLOAD MODULE not found and the module was not found on the CF1 disk.
First one is "... does not exist on the Ramdisk" and now it's not on
the CF1? Isn't that 193 on the ramdisk too?
Post by laddiehanus
One would not expect to copy it from the maint disks as you have done. Please dont be so rude.
I don't mean to be rude. Just saying straight up my mind as usually.
Comes with the package. So i am sorry about that, if reading between
lines, makes that impression.
Alexey Bozrikov
2009-03-17 09:14:57 UTC
Post by laddiehanus
Does not work, CPLOAD MODULE does not exist on the Ramdisk. Will ipl only off the simulated DVD.
PP> Why do you say so as it's not true?

PP> Something like .....

PP> --- CLIP CLIP
PP> dasdinit zvm.530PEM.FBA 3370 530RES 4000000

PP> ATTACH 400 *
PP> cprel a
PP> link * cf1 cf1 mr
PP> acc cf1 z
PP> acc 193 t
PP> COPY CPLOAD MODULE T = = Z (OLDD
PP> rel z (det
PP> cpacc maint cf1 a rr
PP> DDR

PP> SYSPRINT CONS
PP> INPUT 123 9336
PP> OUTPUT 400 3370
PP> COPY ALL
PP> --- CLIP CLIP

PP> ... might do something. DDR will crash at end, but that is expected. Modify as needed.

Well, that seem to crash not only DDR, but whole system. I bet it is
necessary to copy only limited number of blocks, something like 3729200 (I took it from USER
MDISKMAP).

HHCCP011I CPU0000: Disabled wait state
PSW=00020000 00000000 0000000000009090

PP> note: This is propably totally against any license that might even
PP> remotely allow any version of z/VM ran under hercules. This is just
PP> speculative set of commands that might or might not do something ...
PP> and bla bla .... i don't encourage anyone to use these speculative
PP> instrcutions for anything. It's only provided to make a point that
PP> CPLOAD MODULE is indeed out there.

** There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they all own cats.

------------------------------------
Pasi Pirhonen
2009-03-17 12:14:28 UTC
Hi,
Post by Alexey Bozrikov
PP> SYSPRINT CONS
PP> INPUT 123 9336
PP> OUTPUT 400 3370
PP> COPY ALL
PP> --- CLIP CLIP
PP> ... might do something. DDR will crash at end, but that is expected. Modify as needed.
Well, that seem to crash not only DDR, but whole system. I bet it is
necessary to copy only limited number of blocks, something like 3729200 (I took it from USER
MDISKMAP).
HHCCP011I CPU0000: Disabled wait state
PSW=00020000 00000000 0000000000009090
I did notice later that i did give "false information". Limiting block
ranges should help, but the point being one can IPL from that and it's
working even tho z/VM does crash with this step. That is final step and
one does need to IPL that FBA-disk anyway to get it done.
Alexey Bozrikov
2009-03-17 12:27:51 UTC
Post by Alexey Bozrikov
PP> SYSPRINT CONS
PP> INPUT 123 9336
PP> OUTPUT 400 3370
PP> COPY ALL
PP> --- CLIP CLIP
PP> ... might do something. DDR will crash at end, but that is expected. Modify as needed.
Well, that seem to crash not only DDR, but whole system. I bet it is
necessary to copy only limited number of blocks, something like 3729200 (I took it from USER
MDISKMAP).
HHCCP011I CPU0000: Disabled wait state
PSW=00020000 00000000 0000000000009090
PP> I did notice later that i did give "false information". Limiting block
PP> ranges should help, but the point being one can IPL from that and it's
PP> working even tho z/VM does crash with this step. That is final step and
PP> one does need to IPL that FBA-disk anyway to get it done.

Sure, you are correct - this is the correct procedure. I did not try to IPL
after the crash, though. It IPLed fine after copying of 3729200 blocks.
Looks like a working system. I'll try to figure how to get around this
QDIO thing to start TCP/IP properly.

AB

** If you're gonna go, go obnoxiously.

------------------------------------
fabio napoles
2009-03-30 14:10:06 UTC
I am new to VM .
I just ipl'ed, following the instructions.
Does any one succeed networking on z/VM 5.3?
What is the way?
Tks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fabio

Harold Grovesteen
2009-03-31 09:42:14 UTC
There were posts on the Linux on VM email list of someone that did
this. That individual had to manually configure the TCPIP virtual
machine to support a CTC link and configure that in Hercules. Other
interfaces might also be supported, but the OSA adapter configuration
created by install process is not yet supported by Hercules.

Harold Grovesteen
fabio napoles
2009-03-31 13:20:50 UTC
Tks Harold,
I did not find the post, but I found one way not exactly manual,
here goes the cake receipt:
1- configure a normal ctc into herc.conf like
" 0E20.2 3088 CTCI 10.0.0.140 10.0.0.141"
2 - ipl ZVM.ins
3- as maint do " acc 193 e"
4- run "IPWIZARD"
5- just follow the panels
6- run "ramsave"
you should be ok!

Harold Grovesteen <h.grovsteen-***@public.gmane.org> wrote: There were posts on the Linux on VM email list of someone that did

Harold Grovesteen
2009-04-01 09:14:35 UTC
Interesting. The poster on the other list never stated exactly how it
was accomplished. It only got some interest because the individuals IBM
account rep helped the individual to get it working on Hercules. I was
unaware of a "wizard." Isn't Microsoft's influence interesting.

Harold
Post by fabio napoles
Tks Harold,
I did not find the post, but I found one way not exactly manual,
1- configure a normal ctc into herc.conf like
" 0E20.2 3088 CTCI 10.0.0.140 10.0.0.141"
2 - ipl ZVM.ins
3- as maint do " acc 193 e"
4- run "IPWIZARD"
5- just follow the panels
6- run "ramsave"
you should be ok!
<mailto:h.grovsteen%40tx.rr.com>> wrote: There were posts on the Linux
fabio napoles
2009-04-01 12:28:41 UTC
By the way, I found that in a regular installation manual for z/VM5.3 (not eval
version).
Now it is needed someone much better than me in VM to figure out
how to configure the vswitch with ctc in one end for hercules and
virtual osa in the other end for z/Linux.
If someone on the list knows, pls advice how!
regards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fabio

Harold Grovesteen <h.grovsteen-***@public.gmane.org> wrote: Interesting. The poster on the other list never stated exactly how it

Alexey Bozrikov
2009-04-02 06:28:42 UTC
fn> By the way, I found that in a regular installation manual for z/VM5.3 (not eval
fn> version).
fn> Now it is needed someone much better than me in VM to figure out
fn> how to configure the vswitch with ctc in one end for hercules and
fn> virtual osa in the other end for z/Linux.
fn> If someone on the list knows, pls advice how!
fn> regards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fabio

I don't think you can set up VSWITCH to run succesfully on top of
emulated CTC or LCS. However, 'straight' CTC/LCS setup will work. You
will need to create the 'TCPIP TCPIP ' file on TCPMAINT's minidisk
(the one used by server virtual machines, it is 198 accessed as D if I remember
correctly). Copy the file PROFILE TCPSAMP D to TCPIP TCPIP D and edit
the file to add your IP address, gateway etc.
Then add TCPIP to the list of machines XAUTOLOG-ged by AUTOLOG1 or
OPERATOR (edit respective PROFILE EXEC A on 191 minidisk). For Linux guests you may need to add LCS/CTC devices to
Hercules configuration and CP ATTACH or DEDICATE through directory to
Linux guest machines.

Alex

fn> Harold Grovesteen <h.grovsteen-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:
fn> Interesting. The poster on the other list never stated exactly how it
fn> was accomplished. It only got some interest because the individuals IBM
fn> account rep helped the individual to get it working on Hercules. I was
fn> unaware of a "wizard." Isn't Microsoft's influence interesting.
fn>
fn> Harold
fn>
fn> fabio napoles wrote:
fn>
Post by fabio napoles
I am new to VM .
I just ipl'ed, following the instructions.
Does any one succeed networking on z/VM 5.3?
What is the way?
Tks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fabio
fn>
fn>
fn>
fn>
fn>

fn>

fn> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

** Have a nice day . . . somewhere else.

------------------------------------
Harold Grovesteen
2009-04-02 08:58:21 UTC
Post by Alexey Bozrikov
[...]
The TCPIP VM could route between the single CTC link and the VSWITCH
subnet. So the Linux guests could use the VSWITCH. No CTC devices
required in that case in the Hercules config for the Linux guests on VM.
Alex
Fausto
2009-04-23 20:07:41 UTC
Hello Fabio,
Post by fabio napoles
Tks Harold,
I did not find the post, but I found one way not exactly manual,
1- configure a normal ctc into herc.conf like
" 0E20.2 3088 CTCI 10.0.0.140 10.0.0.141"
2 - ipl ZVM.ins
3- as maint do " acc 193 e"
4- run "IPWIZARD"
5- just follow the panels
6- run "ramsave"
you should be ok!
Did you run IPWIZARD after CUSTOMIZ command?

thanks,
Fausto
fabio napoles
2009-04-24 12:30:59 UTC
Hi Fausto,
I don't remember exactly, because i did a lot of tryes,
but i think I did a ramsave after the customiz and another after
the ipwizard finished.
Anyway, I still could not figur out howto work on the vm virtual switch
and the ctc.
regards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fabio

Harold Grovesteen
2009-04-25 18:40:40 UTC
Fabio, what exactly does "I still could not figur out howto work on the
vm virtual switch and the ctc." mean? Did VM not talk to the VM guest?
Did the guest fail to talk to the host, or host to guest? Could you not
access the guest from another system? Could you ping either local
interface from VM itself? You may now be in the world of network
routing and out of problems with the VM guest, VM, Hercules and the host
operating system. More detail on what exactly did not work and some
more troubleshooting commands will likely be needed to determine your
exact situation and what needs to be changed.

Harold Grovesteen
Post by fabio napoles
Hi Fausto,
I don't remember exactly, because i did a lot of tryes,
but i think I did a ramsave after the customiz and another after
the ipwizard finished.
Anyway, I still could not figur out howto work on the vm virtual switch
and the ctc.
regards,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fabio
Hello Fabio,
<mailto:hercules-390%40yahoogroups.com>, fabio napoles
Fausto Saporito
2009-03-12 19:46:21 UTC
Hello Dave and all,

tweaked the system... recompiled hercules with that linker option... but nothing: again the same error.

fausto

Harold Grovesteen
2009-03-14 12:01:19 UTC
.ins files contain a file name and a load point. If the load point in
the .ins file plus the file size is less than 3G, a smaller memory size
might be feasible. That could get you past the Hercules initialization
error for 3G, allowing the ipl to occur with confidence that all of the
files in the .ins will load. I think I remember 2047M (2G minus 1M) as
the max for a Windows 32-bit system for Hercules main storage. Not
having a Windows box, you would have to try that.

If you get the wait state code reported by others, you could run an
instruction trace to see if you are simply running out of memory or
there is a hard coded test some place. When I was trying to get
OpenSolaris to IPL I had to do a bunch of this with some patches to get
it to work. YMMV of course for VM.

Just some ideas you might want to explore one step at a time.

Harold Grovesteen
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms791558.aspx>
Post by Fausto
So I have to switch to another system.
As soos as I can do it, I'll let you know if it's working.
thanks a lot,
Fausto
<mailto:hercules-390%40yahoogroups.com>, "Ian S. Worthington"
Post by Fausto
not sure
about Linux...
I thought 32-bit Windows Vista could support 3 or
3.5 GB depending on configuration?
BFN. Paul.
Post by Fausto
http://www.hercules-390.org <http://www.hercules-390.org>
Yahoo! Groups Links
Jay Maynard
2009-03-14 12:50:34 UTC
Post by Harold Grovesteen
If you get the wait state code reported by others, you could run an
instruction trace to see if you are simply running out of memory or
there is a hard coded test some place. When I was trying to get
OpenSolaris to IPL I had to do a bunch of this with some patches to get
it to work. YMMV of course for VM.
It is my understanding that the issue is a hardcoded test, and that it will
run in 2 GB if modified. I do not know what the modification might be. I
also do not know if making that modification to get it to run would be
within the license terms.
pfg504

Fausto Saporito
2009-03-14 22:44:47 UTC
Hello all,

thanks all for your emails and hints.
Rigth now I did a little step forward, cause now I have hercules under Opensolaris, in a full 64bit environment, so 9082 disappeared, but now I have a new error code: 908B

I'm looking for it on the web, but until now I didn't find anything related. This code should be a CP message number, but I'm not able to find it in the CP messages PDF I downloaded from IBM.

Thanks,
Fausto

Dave Wade
2009-03-15 00:05:14 UTC
Have you allocated some paging packs....

Fausto Saporito
2009-03-15 10:15:57 UTC
Hello Dave,

yes... I allocated the page file (3390-3 at 371a) and spool file (3390-3 at 371b) and also the linux disk pack (another 3390-3 at 5023) according the to install pdf.

The strangest thing is that I don't find such error number in the manual... (also the 9082 is not listed, but its meaning is clearly stated in the install pdf).

thanks
Fausto

Fausto Saporito
2009-03-17 22:49:29 UTC
Hello all,

i'm doing other tests... using a patch for 2GB storage I found, so I can skip the 64bit o.s.

Now the ipl seems to go further, but I have a "loop" after a while (1 min):

HHCCP014I CPU0000: Addressing exception CODE=0005 ILC=4
PSW=00043001 80000000 000000000150026A INST=B26300E2 CMPSC 14,2
R:00000000513FFF48:K:06=00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 ................
R:0000000001573BD1:K:04=008004 00200100 08004002 00100080 04 ......... ......
R0=0000000000005100 R1=0000000001714004 R2=0000000001573BD1 R3=000000000000005E
R4=0000000001573C2F R5=0000000001572F89 R6=0000000000000000 R7=0000000001704000
R8=0000000000000000 R9=0000000001501000 RA=00000000015001DE RB=0000000000000000
RC=0000000001500000 RD=0000000000000000 RE=00000000513FFF48 RF=00000000000036B8
C0=0000000000000200 C1=0000000000000000 C2=0000000000000000 C3=0000000000000000
C4=0000000000000000 C5=0000000000000000 C6=0000000000000000 C7=0000000000000000
C8=0000000000000000 C9=0000000000000000 CA=0000000000000000 CB=0000000000000000
CC=0000000000000000 CD=0000000000000000 CE=00000000C2000000 CF=0000000000000000
HHCCP016I CPU0000: Program interrupt loop: PSW=00000000 00000000 000390000000DF7
HHCAO001I Hercules Automatic Operator thread started;
tid=0000163C, pri=0, pid=4336

I'm using the pre-compiled version 3.06.
I have 4GB of RAM, 10GB of swap file, but I cannot allocate more than 1300MB in hercules...

Fausto

Fausto
2009-03-20 11:46:40 UTC
Hello all,

is there a way to compile a "REAL" 64bit version of hercules under Windows Vista (64bit) ?
I'm trying to do that without success... I'm using any of possible compiler switch to specify a 64bit target platform, but I have always the same problem: Not enough space (using 3072MB of MAINSIZE)!

Anyone did it before?

My environment is a dual cpu with 4GB of real ram and 8GB of swap file.
I'm using Visual Studio Express 2008 and I setup the environment to X64... is there some DEFINE to add to makefile in order to have a 64bit capable hercules?

Just to be sure I specified, as linker option, either /LARGEADDRESSAWARE either /MACHINE:X64, but always the same result: Not enough space.

Hercules says it's running on AMD64 platform:

Running on PC-LAPTOP Windows_NT-6.0 AMD64 MP=2

but it seems that it cannot allocate more than 2GB per process...

Any hint?

thanks in advance,
Fausto
somitcw
2009-03-20 12:47:11 UTC
Post by Fausto
Hello all,
is there a way to compile a "REAL" 64bit version
of hercules under Windows Vista (64bit) ?
I'm trying to do that without success... I'm using
any of possible compiler switch to specify a 64bit
Not enough space (using 3072MB of MAINSIZE)!
Anyone did it before?
Looks like it's been done before but I don't
know how. See:

http://www.ivansoftware.com/snapshots/snapshots/
Fausto
2009-03-20 17:57:56 UTC
Hello!
thanks a lot ... now these binaries work! :-)
But I'm facing another problem... when I do "ipl ZVM.ins" I have a permission denied error.

I double checked the files and the permissions are ok.

Is there some specific setting to configure on those file?

thanks,
fausto
somitcw
2009-03-21 00:35:36 UTC
Post by Fausto
Post by somitcw
Post by Fausto
Hello all,
is there a way to compile a "REAL" 64bit version
of hercules under Windows Vista (64bit) ?
I'm trying to do that without success... I'm using
any of possible compiler switch to specify a 64bit
Not enough space (using 3072MB of MAINSIZE)!
Anyone did it before?
Looks like it's been done before but I don't
http://www.ivansoftware.com/snapshots/snapshots/
Hello!
thanks a lot ... now these binaries work! :-)
But I'm facing another problem... when I do
"ipl ZVM.ins" I have a permission denied error.
I double checked the files and the permissions
are ok.
Is there some specific setting to configure
on those file?
thanks,
fausto
Did you put ZVM.* and ZVMBOOT.* in the same
directory?
Fausto Saporito
2009-03-21 19:03:35 UTC
yes.
I tried with pre-compiled version (non cvs) and the ipl do not generate that error.
Obviously, the ipl doesn't complete because that binary is not 64bit.

fausto

JohnY

Fausto Saporito
2009-03-22 22:31:15 UTC
Hello,

I have the same problem... it seems something with the snapshot... the
3.06 doesn't generate this error.

Fausto
Post by JohnY
ipl /path/to/ZVM.ins
Roger Bowler
2009-03-21 17:24:11 UTC
Post by Fausto
I'm using Visual Studio Express 2008 and I setup the environment
to X64... is there some DEFINE to add to makefile in order to
have a 64bit capable hercules?
The latest source from svn.hercules-390.org should compile successfully if you follow the instructions in the README.WIN64 file (which I have just updated).

Regards,
Roger Bowler
Hercules "I can't believe it's not a mainframe!"
tsagoth