Hercules Message about CKD OK & CCKD ERROR
shanyuliang
2005-09-02 03:21:51 UTC
Hello, everyone.

I just upload two files, ckd_ok.rar & cckd_error.rar, please check them.

I 'd like to repeate my problem:

1. I get a set of zos1.6 demopkg cd
2. I use DASDCONV to convert the files on cd to Hercules CKD format
3. I use DASDCOPY to compress the files from CKD format to CCKD format
4. I run Hercules
5. Most of volumes can be accessed OK except one: DMTD06
6. So I compare the 2 format of DMTD06, the result is below
7. CKD format DMTD06: DASDLS utility access OK, Hercules access OK
8. CCKD format DMTD06: DASDLS utility access OK, Hercules access Failed
9. So I get a conclusion: The problem lies with the DASDCOPY utility

Thanks!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/cd_AJB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
morgothlod
2005-09-09 18:40:59 UTC
Hello shanyuliang,

This problem with DMTD06 also exists in other versions/releases of the
z/OS demopkg. I had exactly the same problem with DMTD06 , BUT ONLY
when I was using it with address 1CA in the config file. As soon as
I used a different address (now 1CF), problem was gone .... I have no
clue whatsoever why it works with an address different than 1CA.

Greetings from sunny Athens, Greece.

William.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
shanyuliang
2005-09-10 05:22:10 UTC
Thank you! morgothlod!
I really appreciate your answer. I use your method, I change the
DMTD06 address from 01CA to 01D7, now the DMTD06 CCKD works!!! I am
so happy to save my disk space.Do you think that is really strange?
Is it a problem of Herclues or ZOS DEMOPKG?

Thank you again!
Post by shanyuliang
Hello, everyone.
I just upload two files, ckd_ok.rar & cckd_error.rar, please
check
Post by morgothlod
them.
morgothlod
2005-09-10 08:27:49 UTC
Hello again shanyuliang,

At this stage, the only thing I can say is that I have IPL'ed
different Demopkg's (OS390 2.9, OS390 2.10, z/OS V1R4, z/OS V1R5,
z/OS V1R6) and no matter what volume is used with address 1CA, it
causes problems (VTOC ERROR, OBTAIN RC=12). this is also accompanied
by hercmsg HHCCD125E. Today I did another test, I IPL'ed my full
working configuration (full z/OS V1R4, 96 volumes) and reproduced the
same problem with address 1CA (that I was not using previously in my
zOS V1R4 config). Apart from my observations above, I have no other
evidences, but I now suspect Hercules (I am running 3.02 version) to
have a problem with that particular 1CA address ...

I'll perform some other tests this weekend ...

Greetings from (still) sunny Athens, Greece.

William.
Post by morgothlod
Hello shanyuliang,
This problem with DMTD06 also exists in other versions/releases
of
Post by shanyuliang
the
Post by morgothlod
z/OS demopkg. I had exactly the same problem with DMTD06 , BUT ONLY
when I was using it with address 1CA in the config file. As soon as
I used a different address (now 1CF), problem was gone .... I
have
Post by shanyuliang
no
Post by shanyuliang
Hello, everyone.
I just upload two files, ckd_ok.rar & cckd_error.rar, please
check
Post by morgothlod
them.
Post by shanyuliang
4. I run Hercules
5. Most of volumes can be accessed OK except one: DMTD06
6. So I compare the 2 format of DMTD06, the result is below
7. CKD format DMTD06: DASDLS utility access OK, Hercules access OK
8. CCKD format DMTD06: DASDLS utility access OK, Hercules
access
Post by shanyuliang
Post by morgothlod
Failed
shanyuliang
2005-09-10 09:50:32 UTC
Hi,morgothlod
I also have a OS390 V2R10 demopkg, I change one of the volumes
DMTD04's address from 01C8 to 01CA, nothing happend, it just working
well. I use Hercules 3.03 MSVC version.
Post by morgothlod
Hello shanyuliang,
This problem with DMTD06 also exists in other versions/releases
of
Post by shanyuliang
the
Post by shanyuliang
Post by morgothlod
when I was using it with address 1CA in the config file. As
soon
Post by morgothlod
as
Post by shanyuliang
Post by morgothlod
I used a different address (now 1CF), problem was gone .... I
have
Post by shanyuliang
no
Post by shanyuliang
Hello, everyone.
I just upload two files, ckd_ok.rar & cckd_error.rar, please
check
Post by morgothlod
them.
Post by shanyuliang
4. I run Hercules
5. Most of volumes can be accessed OK except one: DMTD06
6. So I compare the 2 format of DMTD06, the result is below
7. CKD format DMTD06: DASDLS utility access OK, Hercules
access
Post by morgothlod
OK
Post by shanyuliang
Post by morgothlod
Post by shanyuliang
8. CCKD format DMTD06: DASDLS utility access OK, Hercules
access
Post by shanyuliang
Post by morgothlod
Failed
Post by shanyuliang
9. So I get a conclusion: The problem lies with the DASDCOPY
utility
Post by morgothlod
Post by shanyuliang
Thanks!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
morgothlod
2005-09-10 15:36:52 UTC
Hello shanyuliang,

Test Case :

Running Hercules 3.02 under WinXP US version with SP1A.
CYGWIN 1005.17.0.0
HercGUI 1.8.8.4207 (Fish, Thanks a jillion for this very fine
program, you rock ! )
Demopkg OS/390 V2R9
DMTOS3 in CCKD format at 1CA address

IPL Demopkg, logon to TSO, ISPF 3.4, can not view DMTOS3 contents ==>
VTOC ERROR ...
Vary 1CA offline, Using HercGUI : detach 1CA address and volume
DMTOS3.
Using HercGUI again : attach 1CA with DMTOS3, vary 1CA online.
ISPF 3.4 ===> Miracle !!!!!!! it works ......

I have reproduced the problem again with different (CCKD) volumes
(i.e no Demopkg volumes) each time with a fresh IPL first ...

Strange behavior of Hercules with 1CA address ......

Greetings from (about to be rainy) Athens, Greece.

William.
Post by shanyuliang
Thank you! morgothlod!
I really appreciate your answer. I use your method, I change the
DMTD06 address from 01CA to 01D7, now the DMTD06 CCKD works!!!
Post by shanyuliang
am
Post by morgothlod
Hello shanyuliang,
This problem with DMTD06 also exists in other
versions/releases
Post by shanyuliang
Post by morgothlod
of
Post by shanyuliang
the
Post by shanyuliang
Post by morgothlod
when I was using it with address 1CA in the config file. As
soon
Post by morgothlod
as
Post by shanyuliang
Post by morgothlod
I used a different address (now 1CF), problem was gone .... I
have
Post by shanyuliang
no
Post by shanyuliang
Hello, everyone.
I just upload two files, ckd_ok.rar & cckd_error.rar,
please
Post by shanyuliang
Post by morgothlod
Post by shanyuliang
check
Post by morgothlod
them.
Post by morgothlod
Post by shanyuliang
3. I use DASDCOPY to compress the files from CKD format to
CCKD
Post by morgothlod
Post by shanyuliang
Post by morgothlod
format
Post by shanyuliang
4. I run Hercules
5. Most of volumes can be accessed OK except one: DMTD06
6. So I compare the 2 format of DMTD06, the result is below
7. CKD format DMTD06: DASDLS utility access OK, Hercules
access
Post by morgothlod
OK
Post by shanyuliang
Post by morgothlod
Post by shanyuliang
8. CCKD format DMTD06: DASDLS utility access OK, Hercules
access
Post by shanyuliang
Post by morgothlod
Failed
Post by shanyuliang
9. So I get a conclusion: The problem lies with the
DASDCOPY
Post by shanyuliang
Post by morgothlod
Post by shanyuliang
utility
Greg Smith
2005-09-12 21:12:03 UTC
Post by morgothlod
Apart from my observations above, I have no other
evidences, but I now suspect Hercules (I am running 3.02 version) to
have a problem with that particular 1CA address ...
Weird problem. I have looked at the trace that shanyuliang provided ...
it shows that a bad offset was obtained for track 1. I am thinking that
something is being trashed in the cache. If either you or shanyuliang
could reproduce the problem and specify
cckd trace=100000
in the hercules config file then that would be great. The trace should
print by itself when the error occurs. You can zip the log file and
send directly to me: gsmith at nc dot rr dot com.

Greg

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/W4wwlB/TM
morgothlod
2005-09-13 18:02:39 UTC