FORTRAN manuals?
lists@openmailbox.org [hercules-390]
2016-01-21 09:51:05 UTC
Hi,

I can't find any FORTRAN manuals to match the FORTRAN G and H we have in
the MVS 3.8 distribution. bitsavers has nothing on G as far as I can tell.
The FORTRAN H manuals on bitsavers are for a later version (FORTRAN H
Extended) and contain info that doesn't apply to the level of FORTRAN H we
have so it's confusing and difficult to use them.

Some questions:

Does anybody have scans of the doc sets (installation, language reference,
programmer's guide etc) for each of FORTRAN G and FORTRAN H?

Does anybody have a more current copy of FORTRAN H Extended (SYS1.FORTLIB
with the H Extended product)?

Thanks.

RSA 4096 fingerprint 7940 3F02 16D3 AFEE F2F8 ACAA 557C 4B36 98E4 4D49
'Dave Wade' dave.g4ugm@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-01-21 11:02:50 UTC
I suspect the relevant manual would be an older copy of this...

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/370/fortran/GC28-6515-11_IBM_Syst
em360_and_System370_FORTRAN_IV_Language_Sep83.pdf

which covers G and H but I guess the later compilers rather than the older
ones we have. I couldn't find a copy anywhere.

Sadly, Fortran H Extended was a Program Product and so licenced, so if any
one does have a copy they can't legally share it...

http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=OC&subtype=NA&htm
lfid=897/ENUS5734-FO3&appname=System%20Storage

Dave
G4UGM

2016-01-21 11:08:34 UTC
Hi,

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 11:02:50 -0000
"'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]"
<hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> I suspect the relevant manual would be an older copy of this...
>
> http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/370/fortran/GC28-6515-11_IBM_Syst
> em360_and_System370_FORTRAN_IV_Language_Sep83.pdf

I don't know but I seem to remember at one point there were indeed separate
doc sets for each version (F, G, H) including the typical stuff like
language reference, programmer's guide, etc. I may be confusing it with
VS Fortran but I don't think so. Anyway this doc we did find is about 11
years too recent.

> which covers G and H but I guess the later compilers rather than the older
> ones we have. I couldn't find a copy anywhere.

I do have that and it covers G1 and H Extended. Ditto, looked all over and
came up empty.

> Sadly, Fortran H Extended was a Program Product and so licenced, so if any
> one does have a copy they can't legally share it...

Thanks, I did not know that. I am not looking for trouble but if anyone has
it any they want to lay a copy on me I would be very happy to receive it.
Same goes for VS Fortran. Of course I will not run production workloads on

2016-01-21 11:40:26 UTC

> > I suspect the relevant manual would be an older copy of this...
> >
> > http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/370/fortran/GC28-6515-11_IB
> > M_Syst em360_and_System370_FORTRAN_IV_Language_Sep83.pdf
>
> I don't know but I seem to remember at one point there were indeed
> separate doc sets for each version (F, G, H) including the typical stuff
like
> language reference, programmer's guide, etc. I may be confusing it with VS
> Fortran but I don't think so. Anyway this doc we did find is about 11
years too
> recent.

On further searching perhaps you are correct. I found several references to

IBM System/360 Operating System: FORTRAN IV (G) Programmer's Guide
(GC28-6639)

Or in the older manual naming conventions "C28-6639" but have not managed to
find a scanned copy anywhere.

Dave
lists@openmailbox.org [hercules-390]
2016-01-21 11:52:14 UTC
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 11:40:26 -0000
"'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]"
<hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> > > I suspect the relevant manual would be an older copy of this...
> > >
> > > http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/370/fortran/GC28-6515-11_IB
> > > M_Syst em360_and_System370_FORTRAN_IV_Language_Sep83.pdf
> >
> > I don't know but I seem to remember at one point there were indeed
> > separate doc sets for each version (F, G, H) including the typical stuff
> like
> > language reference, programmer's guide, etc. I may be confusing it with
> > VS Fortran but I don't think so. Anyway this doc we did find is about 11
> years too
> > recent.
>
> On further searching perhaps you are correct. I found several references
>
> IBM System/360 Operating System: FORTRAN IV (G) Programmer's Guide
> (GC28-6639)
>
> Or in the older manual naming conventions "C28-6639" but have not managed
> to find a scanned copy anywhere.

Thanks for looking into this. Maybe one of the list members has copies of
some or all of this laying around and can scan it or send it to bitsavers.
If I find anything I'll update the thread.

Thanks for the help.

RSA 4096 fingerprint 7940 3F02 16D3 AFEE F2F8 ACAA 557C 4B36 98E4 4D49
taurus4949@yahoo.ca [hercules-390]
2016-01-22 05:14:27 UTC
I have a paper copy of C28-6515-6 (copyright 1965,1966) "IBM System/360 FORTRAN IV Language" if it's of any interest. It doesn't seem to have too many notes in the margins...
lists@openmailbox.org [hercules-390]
2016-01-22 06:04:53 UTC
On 21 Jan 2016 21:14:27 -0800
"***@yahoo.ca [hercules-390]" <hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> I have a paper copy of C28-6515-6 (copyright 1965,1966) "IBM System/360
> FORTRAN IV Language" if it's of any interest. It doesn't seem to have too
> many notes in the margins...

That's good news, thank you very much. Could you possibly scan it and
upload it somewhere for the everyone's benefit? If so, please note some of
the scans we already have of later doc are illegible in the parts where IBM
shaded extensions. Whoever is scanning them should make sure the contrast
is set properly for those pages and sections or the result will be unusable.

RSA 4096 fingerprint 7940 3F02 16D3 AFEE F2F8 ACAA 557C 4B36 98E4 4D49
'Dave G4UGM' dave.g4ugm@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-01-22 07:56:53 UTC
I would be interested in that and am prepared to scan it if possible. I am in the UK but would pay the postage. Is it a conventional book or an IBM loose leaf manual?

Dave

2016-01-22 09:24:52 UTC
I just scanned it - it's just under 11 Mbytes. Where would be a good place to put it? Is Bitsavers still an option? btw - I presume IBM is ok with this - the manual is 50 years old!
lists@openmailbox.org [hercules-390]
2016-01-22 09:40:42 UTC
On 22 Jan 2016 01:24:52 -0800
"***@yahoo.ca [hercules-390]" <hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> I just scanned it - it's just under 11 Mbytes. Where would be a good
> place to put it? Is Bitsavers still an option? btw - I presume IBM is ok
> with this - the manual is 50 years old!

Wow, great news! You should ask the bitsavers owner if he'll accept the
scan and if so how long it will take to put it up. I have no idea how long
their backlog is etc.

I would be grateful to get a copy via this email if you have the
time/inclination.

Thank you!

2016-01-22 20:13:32 UTC
AL will normally post things pretty quickly. Not sure what the e-mail limit
on GMAIL is but if you want to try sending it to me, I will put it with my
other "Vintage Computing" stuff here:-

http://www.smrcc.org.uk/members/g4ugm/

If sending doesn't work I can set you up with a temporary password so you
can FTP it to the site directly...

Dave
G4UGM

2016-01-23 17:36:12 UTC
Thanks for your offer to host it, Dave. That sounds helpful.

Has anybody seen an update on this? I've been banging my head against the
newer doc since Thursday!

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 20:13:32 -0000

'\'Fish\' (David B. Trout)' david.b.trout@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-01-23 18:26:16 UTC
<snip; hosting of scanned FORTAN manual>

I would like to *strongly* encourage those involved to make every effort to try and convince bitsavers(*) to host the scanned manual rather than for one or more of use to host it.

BUT... in the mean time (until the ultimate goal of having bitsavers host it is actually achieved), I would like to throw my hat into the ring as well. I can host it on my softdevlabs FTP(**) site.

BE AWARE that bitsavers is very particular about the format (*quality*, really) of the user-contributed scans they accept. From their web page(*):

"The preferred form for any contributed text scan is
as a collection of lossless Group 4 fax compression
(ITU-T recommendation T.6) images saved as TIFF files
with a minium scan resolution of 400 dpi."

"Lower scan resolutions produce noticeable artifacts
if a page needs to be straightened in post-processing."

"Lossy compression formats, such as JPEG, should NEVER
be used to save pages of text, since the compression
format destroys edge resolution and contrast would make
it difficult to OCR in the future. "

So if whoever has already done the scan didn't do a high resolution lossless TIFF image scan as bitsavers prefers, I would like to *strongly* encourage them to do the scan over again before attempting to submit it to bitsavers for inclusion with their existing collection of scanned manuals.

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories

(*) http://www.bitsavers.org

(**) ftp://www.softdevlabs.com
'Dave Wade' dave.g4ugm@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-01-23 18:45:09 UTC

I concur. Al is pretty overwhelmed but if its in scope he will accept. Even
if you have images as loss-less TIFF he will make into PDF for you....

> BUT... in the mean time (until the ultimate goal of having bitsavers host
it is
> actually achieved), I would like to throw my hat into the ring as well. I
can
> host it on my softdevlabs FTP(**) site.

I think multiple locations is a good idea until we can get a copy on
Bitsavers.

2016-01-24 01:39:06 UTC
I submitted C28-6515-6 to Bitsavers earlier today. I received a reply from Al Kossow saying that it had arrived intact - I guess we'll see whether or not it passes inspection. Fish - I can send it to you too if you want - email ok?

John McMaster
lists@openmailbox.org [hercules-390]
2016-01-24 06:10:34 UTC
On 23 Jan 2016 17:39:06 -0800
"***@yahoo.ca [hercules-390]" <hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> I submitted C28-6515-6 to Bitsavers earlier today. I received a reply
> from Al Kossow saying that it had arrived intact - I guess we'll see
> whether or not it passes inspection. Fish - I can send it to you too if
> you want - email ok?
>
> John McMaster

Thanks a lot. Could you please send me a copy? I checked bitsavers and it
is not up on the mirrors yet. It seems we can no longer force bitsavers to
serve direct- it automatically chooses a mirror.

2016-01-24 20:30:33 UTC
Sure - tell me how ...
'Dave G4UGM' dave.g4ugm@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-01-24 21:12:49 UTC
e-mail it to me and I will do it. If you are behind a natted router , so 99% of most home users, you need to download some kind of FTP client that understands passive FTP (FILEZILLA is good one)

Dave

via my email addy I sent the post from. Thanks a lot.

RSA 4096 fingerprint 7940 3F02 16D3 AFEE F2F8 ACAA 557C 4B36 98E4 4D49
kerravon86@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390]
2016-01-25 10:29:32 UTC
I suggest you spell out your email
address here, without the "@" sign,
otherwise Yahoo will censor all
email addresses it can find. I took
a look at your message and couldn't
find your email address from the
Yahoo web interface.

BFN. Paul.

Kevin Monceaux Kevin@RawFedDogs.net [hercules-390]
2016-01-25 13:46:56 UTC
On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 02:29:32AM -0800, ***@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390] wrote:

> I suggest you spell out your email address here, without the "@" sign,
> otherwise Yahoo will censor all email addresses it can find. I took a look
> at your message and couldn't find your email address from the Yahoo web
> interface.

Those who interact with the list via e-mail can see all the addresses.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.
lists@openmailbox.org [hercules-390]
2016-01-25 14:40:36 UTC
On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 07:46:56 -0600
"Kevin Monceaux ***@RawFedDogs.net [hercules-390]"
<hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 02:29:32AM -0800, ***@yahoo.com.au
> [hercules-390] wrote:
>
> > I suggest you spell out your email address here, without the "@" sign,
> > otherwise Yahoo will censor all email addresses it can find. I took a
> > look at your message and couldn't find your email address from the
> > Yahoo web interface.

lists openmailbox org

Thanks for letting me know because:

> Those who interact with the list via e-mail can see all the addresses.

I do see all the addresses so I didn't know this might be an issue. Thanks.

2016-01-26 17:07:49 UTC
On 24 Jan 2016 12:30:33 -0800
"***@yahoo.ca [hercules-390]" <hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Sure - tell me how ...

Has anybody heard back on the Fortran doc? The last post from the member
who scanned it was a couple days ago.

2016-01-26 17:37:37 UTC
***@openmailbox.org wrote:

[...]
> Has anybody heard back on the Fortran doc? The last post
> from the member who scanned it was a couple days ago.

AFAIK it's up on both Dave Wade's site (if you happen to know the direct download URL that is, which is hardly user friendly IMO) as well as on mine:

ftp://www.softdevlabs.com

It's the file "GC28-6515-06 System-360 FORTRAN IV Language.pdf" in the "manuals" directory.

P.S. What is your NAME or do you prefer to forever remain anonymous?

mail: ***@softdevlabs.com
'Dave Wade' dave.g4ugm@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-01-26 18:07:34 UTC
I am in Spain on Holiday.....

Dave

2016-01-26 18:24:54 UTC
On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 06:07:34PM -0000, 'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390] wrote:

> I am in Spain on Holiday.....

That sounds like more fun than I'm having. I'm at work. :-(

Which Holiday are you on? The most recent holidays I see listed here in the
us are Martin Luther King Jr. Day on the 18th and Tu B'Shevat on the 25th.
:-)

2016-01-27 14:04:07 UTC
On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 09:37:37 -0800
"'\'Fish\' \(David B. Trout\)' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]"
<hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> ***@openmailbox.org wrote:
>
> [...]
> > Has anybody heard back on the Fortran doc? The last post
> > from the member who scanned it was a couple days ago.
>
> AFAIK it's up on both Dave Wade's site (if you happen to know the direct
> download URL that is, which is hardly user friendly IMO) as well as on
> mine:

Thanks for letting me know.

2016-01-26 18:03:05 UTC
http://www.smrcc.org.uk/members/g4ugm/Manuals/c28-6515-6.pdf

2016-01-24 06:27:41 UTC
***@yahoo.ca wrote:

> Fish - I can send it to you too if you want - email ok?

NO! NOT email! FTP.

I *hate* it when people send me email with large attachments. Email was not meant for sending files. That's what FTP is for.

Upload it to my FTP site's "incoming" folder and then send me an email letting me know you have done so and I'll take it from there, but please do NOT attach the file to your email.

Thanks.

The URL is:

ftp://www.softdevlabs.com

The folder is called 'incoming'.

mail: ***@softdevlabs.com
Joe Monk joemonk64@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-01-24 13:35:35 UTC
>I *hate* it when people send me email with large attachments. Email was
>not meant for sending files. That's what FTP is for.

Then why have email at all? Why not just transmit every message as data
between FTP servers?

Joe

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 12:27 AM, ''Fish' (David B. Trout)'

Dave McGuire Mcguire@neurotica.com [hercules-390]
2016-01-24 20:53:01 UTC
On 01/24/2016 08:35 AM, Joe Monk ***@gmail.com [hercules-390] wrote:
>>I *hate* it when people send me email with large attachments. Email was
>>not meant for sending files. That's what FTP is for.
>
> Then why have email at all? Why not just transmit every message as data
> between FTP servers?

Why have email? To send textual messages to humans.

I'd have thought that the mainframe world, at least, would be quite up
on the idea of using the right tool for the job. In my world
(commercial UNIX, VMS) separation and specialization of tools and
protocols is king. That's why we built these protocols.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA
lists@openmailbox.org [hercules-390]
2016-01-27 14:07:19 UTC
On 23 Jan 2016 17:39:06 -0800
"***@yahoo.ca [hercules-390]" <hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> I submitted C28-6515-6

Thank you. This doesn't help as much as I had hoped because it is about 6
years too early.

However, this manual seems to be of significant historical value. The date
of publication is right around the time the FORTRAN 66 standard was (being)
finalized. This was probably one of the last IBM FORTRAN manuals not to
note any IBM extensions- because there weren't any! There was no standard!

Thank you for the nice scan. It belongs in any collection of FORTRAN doc.
If you have any more please get them out there (and let me know).

2016-01-31 13:47:15 UTC
Dear lists @ openbox.org

1) Please but in a name somewhere.

2) I found a copy of GC28-6817-3 which is the Programmers Guide so is more
about JCL than Fortran. However its currently shared on my OneDrive here:-

http://1drv.ms/1JRBlYN

but it's a couple of hundred MB because I put the scans in the PDF so only
download if you really need it.

Dave
G4UGM

2016-02-01 07:27:20 UTC
Thanks a lot. This is very helpful. It is for Release 20. Our compilers are
for 21.8 but this is the right doc year as far as I can tell. There's a lot
of good stuff in the manual.

It is gigantic as you said. If you can put up a tarball or zip of the scans
I'll try to assemble the manual in a reasonable size and get it back to you.

Thank you.

On Sun, 31 Jan 2016 13:47:15 -0000

2016-02-01 08:52:37 UTC

That's OK I figured others are just Mono. I sent a link to a version built
with Mono images. If I get a moment I will fix the OCR spelling etc.

2016-02-01 16:16:49 UTC
On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 08:52:37 -0000
"'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]"
<hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I don't understand what you wrote. I would like to get the manual down to a
reasonable size so if you could make the scans available I'll work on that
and get it back to you. Thanks.
'Dave Wade' dave.g4ugm@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-02-01 16:58:51 UTC

I already re-built the PDF and its now 46.9 Mb

http://1drv.ms/1SRSlRq

with monochrome scans....
... and text behind the images, so its searchable, but I haven't optimized
the OCR so there will be things missing from the search.

> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: ***@openmailbox.org
> ------------------------------------

Dave
G4UGM
lists@openmailbox.org [hercules-390]
2016-02-01 17:14:45 UTC
On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 16:58:51 -0000
"'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]"
<hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Thanks, that is better. The end of the document has some bogus pages and
stuff duplicated. Other than that, perfectly usable.

> with monochrome scans....
> ... and text behind the images, so its searchable, but I haven't optimized
> the OCR so there will be things missing from the search.

Seems pretty good so far and certainly better than the one from Jena that
isn't searchable at all. Thank you very much.

2016-02-01 17:31:18 UTC

> Thanks, that is better. The end of the document has some bogus pages and
> stuff duplicated. Other than that, perfectly usable.

It came with two "reader comment" sheets. I scanned what came!
I think there is one bogus blank page...

G4UGM
Raphael Jacquot sxpert@sxpert.org [hercules-390]
2016-02-01 18:03:41 UTC
On 02/01/2016 06:31 PM, 'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
wrote:

>> Thanks, that is better. The end of the document has some bogus pages and
>> stuff duplicated. Other than that, perfectly usable.
>>

> It came with two "reader comment" sheets. I scanned what came!
> I think there is one bogus blank page...

btw, there's a trick to prevent the other side of showing up through
while scanning...
just add a page of black paper that can be obtained from arts&crafts store.
this prevent the other side text from reflecting on the white plastic
that is on the scanner door

--------------------------------- <- sheet of black paper
--------------------------------- <- document to scan
--------------------------------- <- scanner bed

Files and archives at:

Get the latest version of Hercules from:
http://www.hercules-390.org

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
hercules-390-***@yahoogroups.com

2016-02-01 18:10:11 UTC

> On 02/01/2016 06:31 PM, 'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-
> 390]
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks, that is better. The end of the document has some bogus pages
> >> and stuff duplicated. Other than that, perfectly usable.
> >>

> > It came with two "reader comment" sheets. I scanned what came!
> > I think there is one bogus blank page...
> >

> btw, there's a trick to prevent the other side of showing up through while
> scanning...
> just add a page of black paper that can be obtained from arts&crafts
store.
> this prevent the other side text from reflecting on the white plastic that
is on
> the scanner door
>
> --------------------------------- <- sheet of black paper
> --------------------------------- <- document to scan
> --------------------------------- <- scanner bed

That's OK for page scanners but I used an MFD with an auto document
feeder...

Dave
G4UGM
Raphael Jacquot sxpert@sxpert.org [hercules-390]
2016-02-01 18:23:26 UTC
On 02/01/2016 07:10 PM, 'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]
wrote:

> That's OK for page scanners but I used an MFD with an auto document
> feeder...

if it does only one side at a time, stick some black vinyl on the back
of the thing ;)

> Dave
> G4UGM

Raphael

2016-02-01 23:04:34 UTC
page scanners but I used an MFD with an auto document
> > feeder...
>
> if it does only one side at a time, stick some black vinyl on the back of
the
> thing ;)

I think that would work. Only just got it...

> > Dave
> > G4UGM
>
> Raphael

Dave
G4UGM
'Dave Wade' dave.g4ugm@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-02-01 23:05:50 UTC
Ok Abe Books have a

GC28-6515-9

Do you think that would be any use? If so I will order and scan..

Dave
G4UGM
lists@openmailbox.org [hercules-390]
2016-02-02 07:03:21 UTC
On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 23:05:50 -0000
"'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]"
<hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Ok Abe Books have a
>
> GC28-6515-9
>
> Do you think that would be any use? If so I will order and scan..

AFAICT the 360/370 bibliography only lists the major version number. I
don't know what is different about rev. 9 from what we have. Looking over
the summary of amendments in the copy from Jena it suggests rev. 9 is still
relative to H Extended and (possibly G1) so I'm not sure it is far enough
back to help.

I would say if it is cheap enough and you have some extra money laying
around it would definitely be worth having in the collection. Maybe someday
we will find G1 and H Extended compilers and there is almost no such thing
as a completely useless IBM manual (unless it is for C or USS/OE MVS etc.)

When I get a few spare moments I'll go over the bibliographies again and
try to find the specific doc that may help us for the compilers we
have. Although again without rev numbers and since the bibliography doesn't
connect the publication number to a specific OS release it's going to be
difficult to tell what we need without actually seeing the doc.

What we have now is definitely enough to work with. The problem is when you
start getting into it there are a lot of fine points and some not so fine
points that are confusing or missing because of the mismatch between
product and doc.

Thank you very much for the help.

RSA 4096 fingerprint 7940 3F02 16D3 AFEE F2F8 ACAA 557C 4B36 98E4 4D49
sccosel@yahoo.com [hercules-390]
2016-02-02 10:20:29 UTC
Do you have specific Fortran questions? I remember that freeform keyboard input was difficult when using the older versions of Fortran. Anyway, here are some additional reference sources I found useful:

FORTRAN Mini-Manual http://www.jaymoseley.com/hercules/fortran/fort_mini.htm http://www.jaymoseley.com/hercules/fortran/fort_mini.htm http://www.jaymoseley.com/hercules/fortran/fort_mini.htm

FORTRAN Mini-Manual http://www.jaymoseley.com/hercules/fortran/fort_mini.htm FORTRAN Mini-Manual

View on www.jaymoseley.com http://www.jaymoseley.com/hercules/fortran/fort_mini.htm
Preview by Yahoo

FORTRAN IV Reference Page http://www.math-cs.gordon.edu/courses/cs323/FORTRAN/fortran.html http://www.math-cs.gordon.edu/courses/cs323/FORTRAN/fortran.html http://www.math-cs.gordon.edu/courses/cs323/FORTRAN/fortran.html

http://www.math-cs.gordon.edu/courses/cs323/FORTRAN/fortran.html

FORTRAN IV Reference Page http://www.math-cs.gordon.edu/courses/cs323/FORTRAN/fortran.html FORTRAN IV Reference Page Programming Languages, Gordon College

View on www.math-cs.gordo... http://www.math-cs.gordon.edu/courses/cs323/FORTRAN/fortran.html
Preview by Yahoo

System/360 Scientific Subroutine Package
Programmer's Manual, Version III

http://www.ebyte.it/library/downloads/IBM_System360_SSP.pdf http://www.ebyte.it/library/downloads/IBM_System360_SSP.pdf

For examples of accepting freeform simple input (e.g. a menu choice) interactively from a user, I believe one of the Fortran STARTREK programs from cbttape.org does this.

ScottC

product and doc.
lists@openmailbox.org [hercules-390]
2016-02-02 11:46:07 UTC
On 02 Feb 2016 02:20:29 -0800
"***@yahoo.com [hercules-390]" <hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Do you have specific Fortran questions?

No, not really. Whenever I work with a language I like to have an
authoritative reference and programmer's guide so I can use all the
features I want. It is also important to know the compiler options and
limitations. It's been over 30 years since I wrote any FORTRAN IV so I want
to get precise information and not go on my memory.

> Anyway, here are some additional reference

Thanks. The Gordon page is good for getting generally (re)acquainted
quickly and the Jay Moseley page is ok too. But they don't cover topics
that are important for working on large systems or large pieces of code,
and many other topics.

> System/360 Scientific Subroutine Package
> Programmer's Manual, Version III
>

> http://www.ebyte.it/library/downloads/IBM_System360_SSP.pdf

I'm trying to download this now but it failed a few times. This sounds like
an important find. Can't wait to see what's in it. Thanks for the link! I am
also looking for the IBM FORTRAN IV Compiler Libraries manual(s) if you
happen to know of them or any other IBM FORTRAN doc that isn't already on
bitsavers please post the info.

Is this your site? A lot of wild stuff there.

2016-02-02 12:18:56 UTC
On 02 Feb 2016 02:20:29 -0800
"***@yahoo.com [hercules-390]" <hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> > System/360 Scientific Subroutine Package
> > Programmer's Manual, Version III
> >

> > http://www.ebyte.it/library/downloads/IBM_System360_SSP.pdf

Thanks, this looks like it could be very valuable. Unfortunately it's not a
great scan and while you can read the pages fine many of the listings are
questionable. The listings are probably the most important part of the doc.

Keep 'em coming guys. Hopefully we'll eventually get the whole set.

2016-02-02 14:29:51 UTC

The code for this is about. Pretty sure I have a copy some where....

2016-02-02 14:49:09 UTC
On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 14:29:51 -0000
"'Dave Wade' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]"
<hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

That would be outstanding.

2016-02-02 15:53:12 UTC

> > The code for this is about. Pretty sure I have a copy some where....
>
> That would be outstanding.

The code I have is here. I have no idea if it matches the code in the manual
(i.e. the same rev, or even correct)

http://1drv.ms/1PPitWy

I also have a paper copy of "H20-0205-3" but its 454 pages long and has poor
contrast so it might be a pig to scan which may also be why the copy on line
is so poor.
The copy I have still has the N20-1944 attached at the rear waiting to be
incorporated.

Dave
G4UGM

2016-02-02 16:24:10 UTC
On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 15:53:12 -0000
"'Dave G4UGM' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]"
<hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> > > The code for this is about. Pretty sure I have a copy some where....
> >
> > That would be outstanding.
> >
> The code I have is here. I have no idea if it matches the code in the
> manual (i.e. the same rev, or even correct)
>
> http://1drv.ms/1PPitWy

Thank you! That is great to have. I'll eventually try to match some of it
up with the scans. I have no idea when but it is on the list now that you
have graciously made it available.

> I also have a paper copy of "H20-0205-3" but its 454 pages long and has
> poor contrast so it might be a pig to scan which may also be why the copy
> on line is so poor.

Could be. Maybe it's worth picking out a couple of the worst looking pages
and seeing how they scan.

> The copy I have still has the N20-1944 attached at the rear waiting to be
> incorporated.

Excellent!

What other FORTRAN goodies are you hiding over there?

RSA 4096 fingerprint 7940 3F02 16D3 AFEE F2F8 ACAA 557C 4B36 98E4 4D49
Tony Harminc tharminc@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-02-02 16:49:55 UTC
On 2 February 2016 at 11:24, ***@openmailbox.org wrote:
> What other FORTRAN goodies are you hiding over there?

Are you specifically looking for IBM FORTRAN manuals, or for FORTRAN
"stuff" in general? If you are a connoisseur of historic FORTRANs,
there is the 1969 DOS-only BUFF40 compiler source I resurrected off an
old tape back around 2005, and which a couple of other people cleaned
up and got running. It's a FORTRAN IV subset, aimed at the student
market, with very fast compile & go, and some interesting compile-time
diagnostics aimed at avoiding a wasted batch turnaround day for the
student. All in about 32 KB! No manuals for it.

Tony H.
lists@openmailbox.org [hercules-390]
2016-02-02 17:14:01 UTC
On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 11:49:55 -0500
"Tony Harminc ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]"
<hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> On 2 February 2016 at 11:24, ***@openmailbox.org wrote:
> > What other FORTRAN goodies are you hiding over there?
>
> Are you specifically looking for IBM FORTRAN manuals, or for FORTRAN
> "stuff" in general? If you are a connoisseur of historic FORTRANs,
> there is the 1969 DOS-only BUFF40 compiler source I resurrected off an
> old tape back around 2005, and which a couple of other people cleaned
> up and got running. It's a FORTRAN IV subset, aimed at the student
> market, with very fast compile & go, and some interesting compile-time
> diagnostics aimed at avoiding a wasted batch turnaround day for the
> student. All in about 32 KB! No manuals for it.

I used DOS for a few years a long while ago but I don't run it under
Hercules so thanks very much for your offer but it would be wasted on me.
It sounds like you have something real interesting there though.

I'm interested in any FORTRAN IV or later implementation and doc for OS/360
or MVS or later, or for VMS/VAX since I can run all those under emulation.
Time permitting I want to look into what DEC had to offer on the PDP-11.
Right now IBM on OS/360 or later is the main interest because I can
actually use it. It's been a long time since I used a DEC OS and I don't
have time to relearn it. When I find stuff on bitsavers or trailing edge I
try to grab it for a rainy day.

I'm also looking specifically for doc to match the FORTRAN G and H for OS
Rel 21 that we have available, and hopefully for code and doc for FORTRAN H
Extended and G1. I'd also like to get a copy of VS FORTRAN but I realize
that is going to be tough for various reasons.

I'm also interested in books on FORTRAN IV since I misplaced the book I
learned with. I've bought a few recently but shopping online for such old
books is tough because it's almost impossible to find reviews or comments
and unless you know the author you have no idea what you're getting.

I also have a bunch of current or relatively current Fortran compilers for
UNIX and Linux with doc but they are not rare. All of them and their
doc should be online and freely available.

Thank you.

2016-02-02 18:48:09 UTC
On 02/02/2016 12:14 PM, ***@openmailbox.org [hercules-390] wrote:
> I'm interested in any FORTRAN IV or later implementation and doc for OS/360
> or MVS or later, or for VMS/VAX since I can run all those under emulation.
> Time permitting I want to look into what DEC had to offer on the PDP-11.
> Right now IBM on OS/360 or later is the main interest because I can
> actually use it. It's been a long time since I used a DEC OS and I don't
> have time to relearn it. When I find stuff on bitsavers or trailing edge I
> try to grab it for a rainy day.

I have most of the DEC FORTRAN implementations, both old and new, for
most of their platforms. (as well as OS distributions, etc) When you're
ready, drop me a note.

-Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA

2016-02-02 18:52:34 UTC
On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 13:48:09 -0500
"Dave McGuire ***@neurotica.com [hercules-390]"
<hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> On 02/02/2016 12:14 PM, ***@openmailbox.org [hercules-390] wrote:
> > I'm interested in any FORTRAN IV or later implementation and doc for
> > OS/360 or MVS or later, or for VMS/VAX since I can run all those under
> > emulation. Time permitting I want to look into what DEC had to offer on
> > the PDP-11. Right now IBM on OS/360 or later is the main interest
> > because I can actually use it. It's been a long time since I used a DEC
> > OS and I don't have time to relearn it. When I find stuff on bitsavers
> > or trailing edge I try to grab it for a rainy day.
>
> I have most of the DEC FORTRAN implementations, both old and new, for
> most of their platforms. (as well as OS distributions, etc) When you're
> ready, drop me a note.

Thanks a lot! I'll keep your email around for a rainy day.

2016-02-02 18:57:52 UTC
On 02/02/2016 01:52 PM, ***@openmailbox.org [hercules-390] wrote:
>> > I'm interested in any FORTRAN IV or later implementation and doc for
>> > OS/360 or MVS or later, or for VMS/VAX since I can run all those under
>> > emulation. Time permitting I want to look into what DEC had to offer on
>> > the PDP-11. Right now IBM on OS/360 or later is the main interest
>> > because I can actually use it. It's been a long time since I used a DEC
>> > OS and I don't have time to relearn it. When I find stuff on bitsavers
>> > or trailing edge I try to grab it for a rainy day.
>>
>> I have most of the DEC FORTRAN implementations, both old and new, for
>> most of their platforms. (as well as OS distributions, etc) When you're
>> ready, drop me a note.
>
> Thanks a lot! I'll keep your email around for a rainy day.

Sounds good. And if you ever want to run it on real hardware, set
aside a day and head over here to the Large Scale Systems Museum, and
hack until your fingers hurt. :-)

-Dave

2016-02-03 18:55:15 UTC
On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 13:57:52 -0500
"Dave McGuire ***@neurotica.com [hercules-390]"
<hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> >> I have most of the DEC FORTRAN implementations, both old and new, for
> >> most of their platforms. (as well as OS distributions, etc) When you're
> >> ready, drop me a note.
> >
> > Thanks a lot! I'll keep your email around for a rainy day.
>
> Sounds good. And if you ever want to run it on real hardware, set
> aside a day and head over here to the Large Scale Systems Museum, and
> hack until your fingers hurt. :-)

What a great job!

RSA 4096 fingerprint 7940 3F02 16D3 AFEE F2F8 ACAA 557C 4B36 98E4 4D49
'Fernando M. Roxo da Motta' mvs@roxo.org [hercules-390]
2016-05-10 21:47:59 UTC
On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 15:53:12 -0000, "'Dave G4UGM' ***@gmail.com
[hercules-390]" <hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi all,

In some of the messages in some of the lists involving Hercules and
MVS 3.8j, someone made available the SSP V3M1, my age don't allow me to
recall exactly where. I am guessing it was here. Sorry both if it
was here and if it was not. ;)

I have created two datasets in TK4-, one for the source codes and the
other for JCL. I created a jobs to compile and load the modules of
subroutines to a library.

After that I copied the CNTL and FORT datasets to a HET tape using
IEBCOPY. The prooutput file "SSPV31.het" has 852KiB.

I don't know the license status of this library. I couldn't find a
Copyright notice in any file.

If you think it can be of interest, and the licensing status is clear
enough to allow, I can upload the HET tape and the load JCL in the
group files at Yahoo.

Please, let me know what you think.

Best regards.

> > > The code for this is about. Pretty sure I have a copy some
> > > where....
> >
> > That would be outstanding.
> >
> The code I have is here. I have no idea if it matches the code in the
> manual (i.e. the same rev, or even correct)
>
> http://1drv.ms/1PPitWy
>
> I also have a paper copy of "H20-0205-3" but its 454 pages long and
> has poor contrast so it might be a pig to scan which may also be why
> the copy on line is so poor.
> The copy I have still has the N20-1944 attached at the rear waiting
> to be incorporated.
>
> Dave
> G4UGM

> Files and archives at:
>
> Get the latest version of Hercules from:
> http://www.hercules-390.org
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

Roxo

--
---------------- Non luctari, ludare -------------------+ WYSIWYG
Fernando M. Roxo da Motta <***@roxo.org> | Editor?
------------ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?-------------+ I get text!
'Fernando M. Roxo da Motta' mvs@roxo.org [hercules-390]
2016-02-02 11:54:50 UTC

=====================8<-----------------------------

> System/360 Scientific Subroutine Package
> Programmer's Manual, Version III
>

> http://www.ebyte.it/library/downloads/IBM_System360_SSP.pdf
> http://www.ebyte.it/library/downloads/IBM_System360_SSP.pdf

Hi all,

Does anyone knows if SSP was available for MVS 3.8j and if it was
licensed or public domain? If public domain, is it available in any
MVS 3.8j for Hercules?

TIA.

Roxo

2016-01-31 20:12:49 UTC
How about this one (circa 1974):

http://www.eah-jena.de/~kleine/history/languages/GC28-6515-10-FORTRAN-IV-Language.pdf http://www.eah-jena.de/~kleine/history/languages/GC28-6515-10-FORTRAN-IV-Language.pdf

From site:

http://www.eah-jena.de/~kleine/history/ http://www.eah-jena.de/~kleine/history/

years too early.
lists@openmailbox.org [hercules-390]
2016-02-01 07:31:09 UTC
Thank you, that is the one I have been working with but there are a couple
of problems with it. The scan is a not very good. A lot of the greyed areas
are hard or impossible to read. What's worse it applies to newer versions
(G1, H Extended) of the compilers than we have so some of it can be
misleading if you are working with earlier versions.

On 31 Jan 2016 12:12:49 -0800

Hugo van der Kooij hugo.van.der.kooij@qi.nl [hercules-390]
2016-01-22 10:09:28 UTC
Ø I just scanned it - it's just under 11 Mbytes. Where would be a good place to put it? Is Bitsavers still an option? btw - I presume IBM is ok with this - the manual is 50 years old!

You could also use copy.com as you can get a free account and publish the link.

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,

Hugo van der Kooij
network engineer

[cid:***@ba240d88.4cb6c38a]<https://www.qi.nl/over-qi-ict>

Delft<https://www.qi.nl/vestigingen#delft> - Noord-Oost<https://www.qi.nl/vestigingen#Qi-ict-noordoost> - Zuid<https://www.qi.nl/vestigingen#qi-ict-zuid>
[cid:***@70c2b130.4a91fdf7]<http://www.facebook.com/qiict> [cid:***@2c348849.48b2d29a] <https://nl.linkedin.com/company/qi-ict> [cid:***@f03744a5.439620ad] <http://twitter.com/qiict> [cid:***@dd54e859.4c83b568] <http://www.youtube.com/user/QiictDelft>

T: +31 15 888 0 345 F: +31 15 888 0 445
E: ***@qi.nl<mailto:***@qi.nl> I: www.qi.nl<http://www.qi.nl>

lists@openmailbox.org [hercules-390]
2016-01-22 09:38:30 UTC
On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 07:56:53 -0000
"'Dave G4UGM' ***@gmail.com [hercules-390]"
<hercules-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> I would be interested in that and am prepared to scan it if possible. I
> am in the UK but would pay the postage. Is it a conventional book or an
> IBM loose leaf manual?

I was thinking the same thing and was happy to imagine that it is probably
looseleaf and won't have to be destroyed in the process of archiving it.

Thank you for offering to help with this. One down, 5 to go! Actually
possibly more than that since there may have been library manuals and other
relevant doc. But this is a good start.