CTCI-W32, Linux for S/390, and telnet
gordonkeehn
2002-09-27 11:58:57 UTC
I've been through the pain of setting up Fish's TunTap32 and
getting Hercules to accept my CTCI-W32 device definitions. I've
enabled IP Forwarding in Win2K. (IPCONFIG confirms that IP Routing is
enabled.) I've built IPL tape images for SuSE and RedHat flavors of
Linux for S/390. I even built DASD images in preparation for
installing one of the above mentioned flavors. I've IPLed both
versions from tape repeatedly while tweaking Kernel parms, Hercules
parms, and heaven know what else. I can ping the Linux local address
and the "host" adapter address, but not the DNS servers from SuSE
(RedHat doesn't include ping in its RAM disk image). I can also ping
the local address from Win2K.
What I cannot do, with either flavor of Linux IPLed, is telnet or ssh
in to start the install process. Since I can't ping outside the scope
of the Win2K "host", I assume I would also be unable to access the FTP
server where the installation CD images for both flavors await, but
that's another story. Using the Putty client, there are no messages,
and the connection drops instantly. Cygwin's telnet client responds:
Connection closed by foreign host.
SuSE (but not RedHat) also issues the following messages through the
Hercules console:
suse in.telnetd 211!: connect from 9.27.36.14 (9.27.36.14)
suse telnetd 211!: ttloop: read: Connection reset by peer
suggesting that the Telnet server was at least aware an attempt was
made to connect.
I am not particularly skilled in matters networkish, but am
most willing to learn. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Cheers,
Gordon Keehn
tonycrossuk
2002-09-27 14:05:53 UTC
Gordon,

Two things spring immediately to mind....

Thing #1: Are you sure you set up the network attachment correctly
in the SuSE and/or RedHat phase one installation script? With Fish's
drivers you must define the network attachment as a CTC and not as
whatever real LAN you're connected to.

Thing #2: I notice you're working on a live network with "real"
network addresses (9.27.36.14) rather than on a private LAN using
the "unused" addresses 192.168.n.n (or 10.n.n.n). Are you certain
you have no conflicts between the IP address you've assigned to
Linux and another host on your network? This is highly likely if
your network uses DHCP (which it probably does).

You might want to obtain a packet sniffer (there are several
freeware versions about, try at www.tucows.com) and get it to listen
on your LAN. That way you will be able to see whether your pings
actually make it out on to the LAN and whether the responses come
back.

Also be aware that DNS servers (and routers) can be (and often are)
configured not to respond to ping since it could be used for a DoS
attack.

Hope this helps some.....Tony Cross
Post by gordonkeehn
and the connection drops instantly. Cygwin's telnet client
Connection closed by foreign host.
SuSE (but not RedHat) also issues the following messages through the
suse in.telnetd 211!: connect from 9.27.36.14 (9.27.36.14)
suse telnetd 211!: ttloop: read: Connection reset by peer
suggesting that the Telnet server was at least aware an attempt was
made to connect.
I am not particularly skilled in matters networkish, but am
most willing to learn. Does anyone have any ideas or
suggestions?
Post by gordonkeehn
Cheers,
Gordon Keehn
gordonkeehn
2002-09-27 14:42:12 UTC
Post by tonycrossuk
drivers you must define the network attachment as a CTC and not as
whatever real LAN you're connected to.
Was done. Both SuSE and RedHat recognize that the connection is
through a virtual CTC and refuse to load any other driver.
Post by tonycrossuk
Thing #2: I notice you're working on a live network with "real"
network addresses (9.27.36.14) rather than on a private LAN using
the "unused" addresses 192.168.n.n (or 10.n.n.n). Are you certain
you have no conflicts between the IP address you've assigned to
Linux and another host on your network? This is highly likely if
your network uses DHCP (which it probably does).
The virtual address of the local end of the virtual CTC is
192.168.0.4, which should be OK as it's on a different (virtual) MAC.
I can ping from Win2K to the Linux address, and from Linux (at least
SuSE) to the real adapter's IP address. Running the SuSE bootstrap
image, I can see that the Telnet server code has been tapped, but the
connection is apparently rejected by someone. I puzzled over how to
define the CTCI to Hercules without stepping on a used address in the
LAN subnet, and this was the best idea I could come up with. If
anyone has done this another way (that works) I'm all ears.
Post by tonycrossuk
on your LAN. That way you will be able to see whether your pings
actually make it out on to the LAN and whether the responses come
back.
Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll keep it in mind, but for the
moment I'd like to concentrate on the Telnet issue. Once I can log in
and start the installation process, then I'll worry about access to
the wider world.
Post by tonycrossuk
Also be aware that DNS servers (and routers) can be (and often are)
configured not to respond to ping since it could be used for a DoS
attack.
I can ping the DNS servers from Win2K.
Post by gordonkeehn
of the Win2K "host", I assume I would also be unable to access
the
Post by tonycrossuk
FTP
Post by gordonkeehn
suse in.telnetd 211!: connect from 9.27.36.14 (9.27.36.14)
suse telnetd 211!: ttloop: read: Connection reset by peer
suggesting that the Telnet server was at least aware an attempt was
made to connect.
I am not particularly skilled in matters networkish, but am
most willing to learn. Does anyone have any ideas or
suggestions?
Post by gordonkeehn
Cheers,
Gordon Keehn
tonycrossuk
2002-09-27 18:27:21 UTC
I'm pretty certain that both the "real" IP address of the W2K
adapter and the "virtual" IP address you allocate to Linux must be
in the same subnet.

It would help if you could post your Herc config file (at least the
CTC bit) and describe the network setup you're working in.

Cheers...Tony Cross
gordonkeehn
2002-09-27 19:22:29 UTC
If that's the case, this'll have to go on a back burner for a while
until I can promote some free disk space on my home LAN. Things being
a bit quieter than usual lately, I was trying to set up a little Linux
environment on a machine connected to our office LAN. 'Twouldn't do
to enrage the LAN Gods by misappropriating IP addresses, though. At
home I have plenty of addresses; just not much free space. Oh well,
DASD's cheap at the moment.

FYI, this is how I attempted to do it:

0E20 3088 CTCI-W32 192.168.0.4 00-06-29-0F-4C-21 1024 64
0E21 3088 CTCI-W32 192.168.0.4 00-06-29-0F-4C-21 1024 64

Thanks for your time and suggestions. I'm learning new things every day.

Cheers,
Gordon Keehn
Deru Soedibyo
2002-09-28 06:26:28 UTC
Hi Gordon,

I am behind your step. My 2 PC boxes are Win2K 192.168.123.55
(mac=00-50-BA-A2-41-2F) and Win98 192.168.123.20 (mac=00-10-A4-C5-3B-
38) in kampoong area network. Hercules is on Win2K box which has IP
forwarding. For other OS (MVS 3.8 and VM R6), I use Win98 box for
TN3270 and fine. Now I am stuck on Linux/390 because of ctci-w32.

I keep change my ctci-w32 definitions, since it always get open error
with HHC842I (no such file or directory). Let say ctci-w32
definitions are:
0400 3088 CTCI-W32 a.b.c.d x-y-z 1024 64
0401 3088 CTCI-W32 a.b.c.d x-y-z 1024 64

Which a.b.c.d and x-y-z I should use here? What does file/dir means
on HHC842I msg? Does it vmnet? In which path I should place
vmnet, because I think it is already in its default place. Should I
do "make" 1st? Ahh that's another problem! I got errors
when "make" it. A lot of unresolved .h files. Highly appreciate
if you or anyone can show me what to do.

Best regards,
Deru
Post by gordonkeehn
If that's the case, this'll have to go on a back burner for a while
until I can promote some free disk space on my home LAN. Things being
a bit quieter than usual lately, I was trying to set up a little Linux
environment on a machine connected to our office LAN. 'Twouldn't do
to enrage the LAN Gods by misappropriating IP addresses, though. At
home I have plenty of addresses; just not much free space. Oh well,
DASD's cheap at the moment.
0E20 3088 CTCI-W32 192.168.0.4 00-06-29-0F-4C-21 1024 64
0E21 3088 CTCI-W32 192.168.0.4 00-06-29-0F-4C-21 1024 64
Thanks for your time and suggestions. I'm learning new things
every day.
Post by gordonkeehn
Cheers,
Gordon Keehn
Post by gordonkeehn
The virtual address of the local end of the virtual CTC is
192.168.0.4, which should be OK as it's on a different
(virtual)
Post by gordonkeehn
Post by tonycrossuk
MAC.
tonycrossuk
2002-09-28 08:29:05 UTC
Post by Deru Soedibyo
I keep change my ctci-w32 definitions, since it always get open error
with HHC842I (no such file or directory). Let say ctci-w32
0400 3088 CTCI-W32 a.b.c.d x-y-z 1024 64
0401 3088 CTCI-W32 a.b.c.d x-y-z 1024 64
Which a.b.c.d and x-y-z I should use here?
It's easier (I think) to use the two IP addresses in these
definitions rather than the MAC address. You should code devices 400
and 401 identically as:

0400 3088 CTCI-W32 192.168.123.n 192.168.123.55 1024 64
0401 3088 CTCI-W32 192.168.123.n 192.168.123.55 1024 64

Where the n is whatever host address you chose to use for your Linux
OS.
Post by Deru Soedibyo
if you or anyone can show me what to do.
Can't help on this problem though. Sorry.

Tony Cross
Deru Soedibyo
2002-09-28 20:21:29 UTC
Post by tonycrossuk
It's easier (I think) to use the two IP addresses in these
definitions rather than the MAC address. You should code devices 400
0400 3088 CTCI-W32 192.168.123.n 192.168.123.55 1024 64
0401 3088 CTCI-W32 192.168.123.n 192.168.123.55 1024 64
Where the n is whatever host address you chose to use for your
Linux
Post by tonycrossuk
OS.
Yes, sure. That was my 1st trial. The use of MAC is actually if
IP dynamically asigned by network. Anyway, both get the same
error.
Post by Deru Soedibyo
if you or anyone can show me what to do.
Can't help on this problem though. Sorry.
That msg comes only when I add ctci-w32 on the fly. Because if I
precode it in cnf file, it won't be able to be started. Startup
fails with HHC842I 0400 open error: vIP on IP/mac: No error.

Rgds,
Deru
Deru Soedibyo
2002-09-29 15:10:33 UTC
Guys,

I've resolved this problem. It was because my WinPcap was 3.0.
Replaced it by 2.3 then goes OK. Once ctci-w32 was recognized, then
IPLed (from tape) and I got my SuSE starter up.

Then... I can telnet it (virt IP) from either the same or other
PC. I can either use Reflection (tn3270), Vista (3270), Puttytel or
just ordinary standard one. Moving fwd isn't it?

But... now I am facing another problem... dasdfmt error...

cheers,
Der
Deru
gordonkeehn
2002-09-30 16:33:26 UTC
I'm still trying. I found that I could add the virtual adapter
address to the Win2K routing matrix by
ROUTE ADD 198.168.0.4 MASK 255.255.255.255 <Gateway Address>
I can now Telnet in to the Linux bootstrap and start the install
program (YaST or loader). I still can't get out of my local box,
though, even though IP Forwarding is enabled, so I can't connect to
the FTP server where the CD images live. I thought of activating ICS
in my Win2K box, but I understand that resets the adapter IP address
and I definitely don't need that to happen.

Thanks to those who have made comments / suggestions.

Cheers,
Gordon Keehn
Post by gordonkeehn
The virtual address of the local end of the virtual CTC is
192.168.0.4, which should be OK as it's on a different
(virtual)
Post by gordonkeehn
Post by tonycrossuk
MAC.
gordonkeehn
2002-10-10 18:01:29 UTC
One more update. The SuSE sles7 distro that I was using can be
installed via SMB, NFS, or "from a reachable directory". I FTP'd the
CD images to my PC, SMBMOUNTed them on the bootstrap system, and ran
the install that way. I still can't reach outside the bounds of my
"sandbox", but I have a running system to experiment with. I even got
a KDE desktop running, but the performance was terrible.
Again, thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Cheers,
Gordon Keehn