Assembler.
kvshetye
2004-08-26 07:55:02 UTC
Hi all,

Dont know whether this is the right place to ask this question.

Earlier in old days i used to write assembler routines on PC DOS to
handle various functionalities. In DOS we can easily access all the
devices attached to the PC, all memory areas, all interrupts, etc.

Now my problem is if I start to learn assembler on MVS, what are the
things i can do using assembler routines? Can anybody please guide
me on this?

FYI i know JCL, COBOL, CICS, DB2 and ISPF. I have good documents too
to start with Assembler.

Thanks and Regards,

Kailas Shetye

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
Jos Visser
2004-08-26 08:02:33 UTC
Basically when programming assembler you have access to all system and
operating system functions:

- Call all system functions (SVC's), e.g. for I/O
- Access most (if not all) memory areas
- Perform calculations
- Write new system extensions (user SVC's)

Whether calling a certain function or accessing a certain memory
location is allowed largely depends on the authorisation status with
which the module runs...

++Jos.nl
Post by kvshetye
Hi all,
Dont know whether this is the right place to ask this question.
Earlier in old days i used to write assembler routines on PC DOS to
handle various functionalities. In DOS we can easily access all the
devices attached to the PC, all memory areas, all interrupts, etc.
Now my problem is if I start to learn assembler on MVS, what are the
things i can do using assembler routines? Can anybody please guide
me on this?
FYI i know JCL, COBOL, CICS, DB2 and ISPF. I have good documents too
to start with Assembler.
Thanks and Regards,
Kailas Shetye
http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules
Yahoo! Groups Links
--
Handle nur nach derjenigen Maxime, durch die du zugleich wollen kannst,
daß sie ein allgemeines Gesetz werde.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
kvshetye
2004-08-30 07:38:07 UTC
Thanks Jos,

Now as you have said, i will need to find out a list of SVCs. I will
try to do the necessary. In case of any further queries i might
disturb you again.

Thanks once again,

Regards,

Kailas Shetye
Post by Jos Visser
Basically when programming assembler you have access to all system and
- Call all system functions (SVC's), e.g. for I/O
- Access most (if not all) memory areas
- Perform calculations
- Write new system extensions (user SVC's)
Whether calling a certain function or accessing a certain memory
location is allowed largely depends on the authorisation status with
which the module runs...
++Jos.nl
gegemartinelli
2004-08-26 12:17:58 UTC
Hi,

Large IBM system machine instructions (I will call them ESA
instructions) are very different from PC instructions.

ESA Instructions are sometimes equivalent to hundreds micro
instructions (micro instructions are very similar to PC instructions
you are used to).

A program in MVS assembler is usually a mixed between Basic, and
Macro Instructions.

One assembler basic instruction is equivalent to a machine
instruction. The list of all of them may be found in the "ESA
Principle of Operation" manual which describes the machine
architecture, the instruction sets and register sets. That's
independent of the operating system, since different OS may run on
the same machine : MVS (z/OS) VM (z/VM) DOS/VS (VSE/ESA), or z/Unix.

Macro instructions are build from a set of basic instructions,
usually shipped by IBM to requests Operating System services (to :
issue I/Os, request memory allocations, communicate with other
programs, etc....). The list of all macros may be found in
the "Macros Reference guide" manuals depending upon which OS you
want to use.

Writing assembler programs is usually required if you want execute
functions very linked with the operating system. Otherwise I would
strongly suggest you develop application programs with a High Level
Language such as COBOL, PL/I, Fortran, C (not exactly HLL), or Java.

However, you should be aware that MVS (or more generally IBM
mainframe Operating Systems) are very different from Windows (even
from Unix). On the same system you may find several thousands people
working interactivily and simulteanously with batch program.

Without any specific education (classes) I really doubt you could
ever learn MVS (or even the other OS). These systems have been
existing since 1964 (1972 fro VM) with almost the same core
instruction set, even though this set have been enhanced during
these last 40 years with the mainfame architecture evolutions.

Good luck anyway
kvshetye
2004-08-30 07:30:13 UTC
Thanks Gerard,

As suggested by you I will concentrate more on other HLL like COBOL
and C.

In our office there are several people who have a worked on
mainframes (on links). With the help of these people i have learned
CICS, JCL, ISPF etc in last one year. And with the help of you
(hercules-390 group) people, i have maintained MVS 3.8J in our office.

thanks once again for your efforts.

Regards,

Kailas
Post by kvshetye
things i can do using assembler routines? Can anybody please guide
me on this?
FYI i know JCL, COBOL, CICS, DB2 and ISPF. I have good documents
too
Post by kvshetye
to start with Assembler.
Thanks and Regards,
Kailas Shetye
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
Carlos Feliciano Aureus
2004-08-30 07:41:44 UTC
Hi,

I'm new to mainframe and Hercules, in fact don't much about mainframe :(.

I'm going to have a test VSAM on Hercules and will use Microsoft Host
Integration Server to give windows applications access to VSAM. What
components do I need to install on Hercules in order to have this setup
work.

Thanks :) I hope I'm asking the right questions

carlo

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM