How to connect to my z/os 1.10 emulation to telnet unix server?
JAVIERC
2013-02-07 03:31:04 UTC
Hi anybody can tell me if is possible and how to connect to my z/os 1.10
emulation to telnet unix server? I would like to learn to to that and user
the c compiler if is included.

My platform is:

S/O Windows 64 bits
Hercules 3.07 64 bits
ADCD Z/OS 1.10

Program emulation 3270 IBM Personal communications

Regards,

Javier

Jon Perryman
2013-02-07 05:28:39 UTC
z/OS to windows TCP connectivity is documented
at http://www.softdevlabs.com/Hercules/ctci-w32-faq.html which will help you
find all the pieces you need and how to set it up.

As for connectivity to the UNIX telnet server, I'm not sure what and why you
might want to do this. TSO has the TELNET command but why would you do this
since window's has a telnet client that provides access to UNIX telnet.

It's not clear what you want to truly accomplish. It would be helpful if you
describe how you plan on using telnet from TSO to your UNIX telnet server and
why you think it would be helpful.

TSO also has RSH and REXEC commands if you want to use those to run UNIX
commands from TSO in exec's.

If you were actually talking about TN3270 client from UNIX, then you don't need
TCP in z/OS unless you have a true requirement for z/OS TN3270 provided by z/OS
TCP. Hercules provides TN3270 connectivity that is completely seperate from z/OS
TCP. You can actually shutdown z/OS TCP if you use Hercules TN3270.

As for IBM C & C++, they should be available on the ADCD.

Manuals for IBM products is on their website at
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/bkserv/

Regards, Jon Perryman.

________________________________

Javierc
2013-02-07 08:31:51 UTC
Hi, I am learning about z/arquithecture: jcl, cobol, db2, cisc, jcl… I would
like can learn more about the Unix conectivity and C compiler off the z/os
(I know unix and C in other platforms yet)

So I know TSO, ISPF, how see Unix from Z/OS but I look for the way to see
the integrated Unix of the z/os without ISPF, ishell, omvs or similar. Is
this possible? Can I connect with telnet to the hercules emulator and can I
from there compile programas in C?

The reason is more for learn that the practicality that may have.

Regards.

From: JAVIERC <[hidden email]>

Hi anybody can tell me if is possible and how to connect to my z/os 1.10
emulation to telnet unix server? I would like to learn to to that and user
the c compiler if is included.

My platform is:

S/O Windows 64 bits
Hercules 3.07 64 bits
ADCD Z/OS 1.10

Program emulation 3270 IBM Personal communications

_____

below:

http://hercules390.996247.n3.nabble.com/How-to-connect-to-my-z-os-1-10-emula
tion-to-telnet-unix-server-tp38960p38963.html

To unsubscribe from How to connect to my z/os 1.10 emulation to telnet unix
server?, click here
<http://hercules390.996247.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=unsu
bscribe_by_code&node=38960&code=YW1pdHJvbkB0ZXJyYS5lc3wzODk2MHwxNDM5MTQzNjI2
.
<http://hercules390.996247.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macr
o_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.B
asicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.templ
ate.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-insta
nt_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>
NAML

John P. Hartmann

------------------------------------
Enrico Sorichetti
2013-02-07 10:25:39 UTC
... Can I connect with telnet to the hercules emulator and can I
from there compile programas in C?
Hercules is just a bare iron emulator.

there are really two types of connection ...

the first to a device defined in the configuration ( and that is handled by Hercules )
TNxxxx <IP of the host system>:<port> ... ... ...

the other one to the operating system running
TNxxxx <IP of the guest system>:<port> ... ... ...

but ... without a guest system running Hercules will lazily sit there

cheers
Enrico
Jon Perryman
2013-02-08 03:02:48 UTC
To eliminate the confusion in the future, you should say USS or OMVS so that it
will be clear that you are talking about UNIX System Services in z/OS not
generic UNIX.

You should ask your USS questions to the USS newsgroup because those people use
it on a daily basis. IBM documents it under USS forums
at http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/features/unix/bpxa1dis.html. They
should be able to answer questions about IBM C/C++ in USS.

To get help with z/OS, you can use IBM-MAIN at
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/bit.listserv.ibm-main
because there are many people on that list that are working in z/OS.

Questions for Setting up TCP connectivity thru hercules should remain here
because that's part of what we do in this newsgroup. Anything about Hercules
will get best answered here. Some people here work with z/OS here but not
everyone. Even fewer work with USS. It's all I can do to remember USS stuff.

Before asking questions on these newsgroups, be sure to do a search. Some people
get upset if you don't do a search before asking a question that has been
answered before. You can then tell them you tried to search for it but didn't
find it.

To access USS thru telnet, then use port 1023 (not 23) because MVS telnet is
thru port 23.

To access C and C++ in USS, there are UNIX commands. My guess is that it is "c"
but won't make any guarantee.

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/features/unix/tools/ is an IBM website
that contains USS tools and toys (applications ported to USS). You may find some
useful programs. E.g. xterm if you want to install the xterm server for USS
instead of using telnet. XEmacs should even be there if you want. It's been many
years since I looked there so there are probably other useful tools.

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/features/unix/ is IBM's website for USS
which might help you understand what USS is and what USS is NOT.

Regards, Jon Perryman.

________________________________

Tony Harminc
2013-02-08 23:06:09 UTC
Post by Jon Perryman
To eliminate the confusion in the future, you should say USS or OMVS so that it
will be clear that you are talking about UNIX System Services in z/OS not
generic UNIX.
Well, without wanting to reopen the "USS means something else
entirely" debate, neither USS nor OMVS is a good term - it is probably
best to call it z/OS UNIX. This is correct (it most certainly *is*
UNIX, i.e. it isn't a UNIX emulation or UNIX subset or something), it
is IBM's term, and it is quite unambiguous. It's not clear what you
mean by generic UNIX. I'm sure more people are familiar with Linux
than with any other UNIX-like system, yet Linux is *not* UNIX, i.e. is
incompatible in several ways with UNIX standards.
Post by Jon Perryman
You should ask your USS questions to the USS newsgroup because those people use
it on a daily basis. IBM documents it under USS forums
at http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/features/unix/bpxa1dis.html. They
should be able to answer questions about IBM C/C++ in USS.
A better place is the Listserv list that is independent of IBM:
MVS-OE-***@public.gmane.org . IBMers also hang out there.

"For MVS-OE subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
Post by Jon Perryman
To get help with z/OS, you can use IBM-MAIN at
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/bit.listserv.ibm-main
because there are many people on that list that are working in z/OS.
Yes, but don't post messages to the newsgroup, as most people will not
see them, because messages are copied from the IBM-MAIN mailing list
to the newsgroup, but not the other way. If you want to use a
newsgroup to read such lists, subscribe with the NOMAIL option, and
then post to the mailing list.
"For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
Post by Jon Perryman
To access USS thru telnet, then use port 1023 (not 23) because MVS telnet is thru port 23.
That is dependent on your system's configuration. Many shops use port
23 for UNIX, and 1023 (or something else) for TSO. If you connect, and
get an IKJ message prompt, then you've reached TSO via telnet. Try the
other port. Or use SSH, usually on port 22, but also possibly on
another port like 1022.
Post by Jon Perryman
To access C and C++ in USS, there are UNIX commands. My guess is that it is "c"
but won't make any guarantee.
Usually either cc or c89. But there are others.
Post by Jon Perryman
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/features/unix/ is IBM's website for USS
which might help you understand what USS is and what USS is NOT.
Whatever else, it *is* UNIX.

Tony H.
Jon Perryman
2013-02-09 00:46:18 UTC
Legally we can't refer to it as z/OS UNIX until IBM authorizes it so as a
vendor, I'll have to continue referring to it as USS. While we may feel USS is
no longer appropriate terminology, it is IBM's official name for the product as
seen in their manuals. If I do a google search, USS will return more appropriate
results than if I search for z/OS UNIX. I suspect that IBM chooses to leave it
as USS because of the problems and cost outweigh the benefit of renaming it.

UNIX is a trademark. Does it exist as a true operating system? There are OS's
that are compliant with the trademark (MAC OS/X, AIX, Solaris and others). UNIX
is a misunderstood term. I used the term "generic UNIX" because I couldn't
think of a better way to reference UNIX compliant operating systems versus USS.

As for asking USS questions to marist, the IBM page I pointed to tells you all
about Marist. They are clearer about it's usage so I felt it better to reference
their page rather than trying to describe it.

Regards, Jon Perryman.

________________________________

Tony Harminc
2013-02-09 01:33:24 UTC
Post by Jon Perryman
Legally we can't refer to it as z/OS UNIX until IBM authorizes it so as a
vendor, I'll have to continue referring to it as USS.
Say what?
Post by Jon Perryman
From the IBM book _z/OS UNIX System Services Planning_ , Document
Number GA22-7800-18:

"Chapter 1. Introduction to z/OS UNIX
The UNIX System Services element of z/OS is a UNIX operating
environment, implemented within the z/OS operating system. It is also
known as z/OS UNIX."

IBM has never in its formal documentation called z/OS UNIX "USS",
though many people do use that term. Obviously IBM does use the phrase
"UNIX System Services", but it also and increasingly calls it z/OS
UNIX, or just UNIX.
Post by Jon Perryman
While we may feel USS is no longer appropriate terminology, it is IBM's official name for the product as
seen in their manuals.
I really don't want to be a stand in for the late Chris Mason, but no
it is not. Find me a mainstream IBM manual that calls it USS. To be
sure there are a few references to USS in the books, but they are all
in context that makes it clear that it is not the *name* of IBM's UNIX
product for z/OS.
Post by Jon Perryman
If I do a google search, USS will return more appropriate
results than if I search for z/OS UNIX.
I don't doubt it. But it's still not the name of the product.
Post by Jon Perryman
I suspect that IBM chooses to leave it as USS because of the problems and cost outweigh the benefit of renaming it.
If they did actually call it USS...
Post by Jon Perryman
UNIX is a trademark. Does it exist as a true operating system?
There is no single operating system called UNIX, certianly.
Post by Jon Perryman
There are OS's that are compliant with the trademark (MAC OS/X, AIX, Solaris and others).
Exactly Including z/OS UNIX, of course.
Post by Jon Perryman
UNIX is a misunderstood term. I used the term "generic UNIX" because I couldn't
think of a better way to reference UNIX compliant operating systems versus USS.
What is the distinction you are trying to draw? IBM has licensed the
trademark, and to do so had to comply with the necessary technical
standards, as do AIX, Solaris, and the rest. Of course you can argue
with whether they've done this to your satisfaction, or whether those
standards represent some proper "spirit of UNIX", or are too minimal,
but regardless, it's UNIX just as much as AIX or Solaris and so on are
UNIX. And more so than is Linux (not that that's a complaint).
Post by Jon Perryman
As for asking USS questions to marist, the IBM page I pointed to tells you all
about Marist. They are clearer about it's usage so I felt it better to reference
their page rather than trying to describe it.
I'm glad to hear that. And I don't mean to suggest any animosity on
the part of IBM toward the non-IBM lists. IBM hosts "fora" on all
sorts of things, but they are generally not the primary place where
experienced non IBMers hang out.

Tony H.
Greg Price
2013-02-09 07:09:01 UTC
Adam Thornton
2013-02-09 17:00:47 UTC
Post by Greg Price
Post by Jon Perryman
If I do a google search, USS will return more appropriate
results than if I search for z/OS UNIX. I suspect that IBM chooses to leave it
as USS because of the problems and cost outweigh the benefit of renaming it.
I think because the "USS" term became so pervasive as an abbreviation for
UNIX System Services that many IBMers still refer to it as that.
IBM clearly doesn't get Google.

AS/400: perfectly straightforward to search for.
iSeries: not so much
System i: fuggedaboutit

Adam

Kevin Monceaux
2013-02-10 00:14:04 UTC
Post by Adam Thornton
IBM clearly doesn't get Google.
AS/400: perfectly straightforward to search for.
iSeries: not so much
System i: fuggedaboutit
Where I work we still call our AS/400 an AS/400. :-) We also call our
mainframe a mainframe. We wouldn't want to insult it by calling it a
server. :-) The servers are the unstable boxes on the other side of the
room running Windoze.
--
Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
2013-02-10 20:38:50 UTC
Kevin Monceaux wrote:

[...]
Post by Kevin Monceaux
The servers are the unstable boxes on the other side of the
room running Windoze.
Hey! I resemble that remark! :)
--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
fish-VLFb7ALKWJGGw+***@public.gmane.org

------------------------------------
Gregg Levine
2013-02-10 20:41:10 UTC
On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM, "Fish" (David B. Trout)
Post by "Fish" (David B. Trout)
[...]
Post by Kevin Monceaux
The servers are the unstable boxes on the other side of the
room running Windoze.
Hey! I resemble that remark! :)
--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Hello!
With or without the breathing of water?

-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8-***@public.gmane.org
Enrico Sorichetti
2013-02-07 10:27:59 UTC
Post by Enrico Sorichetti
the first to a device defined in the configuration ( and that is handled by Hercules )
TNxxxx : ... ... ...
the other one to the operating system running
TNxxxx : ... ... ...
the dumb Yahoo dropped some chars
what I meant was

1) TNxxxx "IP of the HOST system":"port" ... ...

2) TNxxxx "IP of the GUEST system":"port" ... ...
Mike Schwab
2013-02-07 12:50:32 UTC
Telnet from WinNT was being hosted for download for this purpose.
Hyperterminal is also a telnet client. Or download something from the
web to test with. Not sure what device type you need to specify, or
what UCB.
Post by JAVIERC
Hi anybody can tell me if is possible and how to connect to my z/os 1.10
emulation to telnet unix server? I would like to learn to to that and user
the c compiler if is included.
S/O Windows 64 bits
Hercules 3.07 64 bits
ADCD Z/OS 1.10
Program emulation 3270 IBM Personal communications
Regards,
Javier
--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA
Javier
2013-02-26 02:55:14 UTC
oK, thank for your answers, I am looking information por the tcp/ip connectivity that your say.

While in this days I've been doing several tests, to get my objetive to work in Unix compiling c programas, so I have used OMVS and I have compiled with the c compiler in Z/OS or USS Unix, not problem with the name.

I could compile from OMVS but not in TSO. I have reading in the manual that is possible too of these ways:

1. - Executing JCL calling to PGM EDCCBG o EDCXCBG

2- - With REX and the command %CC

Nothing work for me. I was reading in the ibm pages and they say this:

..add the libraries to the LPALST or LPA libraries SCEERUN and SCEERUN2, and the z/OS C compiler are in the STEPLIB, LPALST, or LNKLST...
Can you help me to do my hercules/ZOS compile from TSO of this ways?

Thanks in advance
Mike Schwab
2013-02-26 03:20:03 UTC
I did this one time. Basically, take the JCL of your batch compile job.
For each JCL step (Pre-compiler(s), Compiler, Linker, Run):
1. ALLOCate each DDNAME to the DSNAME(s),
2. EXEC the program with parameters,
3. Check return code,
4. FREE each DDNAME,