DOS/360 doesn't like dasdinit packs
cube1us
2003-08-31 03:06:53 UTC
FYI, there is apparently an issue with dasdinit. The DOS/360 INTDSK
does not like packs created with it -- complains of a missing Format
4 DSCB (still as of hercules-2.17.b9).

I ended up copying an image that the OS/360 IBCDASDI had initialized
and I had restored to use as the pack I ran INTDSK on in order to get
around it.

If you want traces, let me know (the DOS/360 distribution has not yet
been uploaded).

Jay Jaeger

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/W4wwlB/TM
Fish
2003-08-31 07:30:54 UTC

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/W4wwlB/TM
cube1us
2003-09-01 00:49:04 UTC
Hmm. I *thought* I had replied to this, but looking 2 hours later it
isn't there, so....

The behavior is indeed the same with earlier releases. Also, note
that the supposition that it was caused by a missing Format 4 DSCB
has only marginal evidence -- the error code that occurs (4404A) from
INTDSK has that meaning under full DOS/360.

Also, I did a bit of a "hack" on dasdutil.c to get dasdinit to *not*
write the IPL records and volume label, and if I do that, INTDSK is
quite happy.

Jay Jaeger
cube1us
2003-08-31 23:07:23 UTC
Older versions of dasdinit give the same apparent results.

I have also posted traces in reply to another message.

Also, it could be that the F4 thing is a 'red herring' -- it is
implied by the error code 4404A, but that might be a false lead,
since it depends on the presumption that the error codes from the
standalone match those that are used in DOS/360 itself.

My current hunch is that INTDSK is getting confused because it gets a
pack with a volume label (and perhaps some other stuff), so that it
then expects more, and crashes when it doesn't get it.

Jay Jaeger
Fish
2003-09-01 03:29:31 UTC

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/W4wwlB/TM
cube1us
2003-09-01 13:28:09 UTC
Yes, having dasdinit do a "bare bones" pack creation would be just
fine. As others have pointed out, having dasdinit do a full VTOC
initialization raises other questions. Some of this is getting a
little confusing because of the occasional delays in Yahoo postings,
so some of my earlier messages are actually showing up in the list
later.

Jay Jaeger
Binyamin Dissen
2003-08-31 06:19:58 UTC
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:06:53 -0000 "cube1us" <cube1-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

:>FYI, there is apparently an issue with dasdinit. The DOS/360 INTDSK
:>does not like packs created with it -- complains of a missing Format
:>4 DSCB (still as of hercules-2.17.b9).

What CCW's did it use to attempt to read the F4?

Was the read satisfied?

I am trying to determine where/what it expects the F4 to be.

--
Binyamin Dissen <bdissen-***@public.gmane.org>
http://www.dissensoftware.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/W4wwlB/TM
George
2003-08-31 17:29:42 UTC
The DOS/VS release 34 file galleries on my new web site contains the
DOS/VS system Management Guide. This was recently scanned by me and
uploaded. It is a simple scan into a PDF file.

Anyway, page 11.2 gives the full layout of the sysres volume including
cyl, head and record numbers of the volume.

George
Post by Binyamin Dissen
:>FYI, there is apparently an issue with dasdinit. The DOS/360 INTDSK
:>does not like packs created with it -- complains of a missing Format
:>4 DSCB (still as of hercules-2.17.b9).
What CCW's did it use to attempt to read the F4?
Was the read satisfied?
I am trying to determine where/what it expects the F4 to be.
:>I ended up copying an image that the OS/360 IBCDASDI had initialized
:>and I had restored to use as the pack I ran INTDSK on in order to get
:>around it.
:>If you want traces, let me know (the DOS/360 distribution has not yet
:>been uploaded).
--
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
[click here]
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/W4wwlB/TM
Fish
2003-09-01 02:06:22 UTC

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/W4wwlB/TM
somitcw
2003-09-01 03:08:52 UTC
The address is:
http://65.33.246.242/tikiwiki_1.7/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=3

Warning, it takes many many minutes for the PDF
file to down load for you to get any display.
After it displays, you need to do an Adobe SAVE and
change the file to something more descriptive than
tiki-download_file.pdf
Post by Fish
http://65.33.246.242/Publications/GC33-5371-06.pdf
the correct URL?? I keep getting 404 Not Found.
Thanks.
- --
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
- - - snipped - - -

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/W4wwlB/TM
somitcw
2003-09-01 03:14:24 UTC
It might be better to use the address
one level up, so you know that you got
there before you get the long wait:
http://65.33.246.242/tikiwiki_1.7/tiki-list_file_gallery.php?
galleryId=1

If the above wraps, delete any back-slashes
that indicate the line is continued and put
the URL back together.

George
2003-09-01 14:25:18 UTC
Sorry guys and gals,

As I first stated, the manual is simply a direct scan of the original
paper document. It has not been OCR'd, compressed or anything else. It
is currently about a 12 MB file. Doing some experimenting on a piece of
another manual I have found that the OCR process reduces the file size
by about 2/3. I will keep experimenting.

For now, My first interest is to scan the original manuals only, just to
make them available. I will then go back to do the OCR, etc. Any new
material will appear on the *NEW* site only. As always, let me know of
any other problems.

As far as the performance (or lack thereof) of my new site, I plan on
making some hardware changes later this week.

The site has been changed to use port 80 instead of port 8181.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback.

George (still out of work) Shedlock
Post by somitcw
http://65.33.246.242/tikiwiki_1.7/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=3
Warning, it takes many many minutes for the PDF
file to down load for you to get any display.
After it displays, you need to do an Adobe SAVE and
change the file to something more descriptive than
tiki-download_file.pdf
Post by Fish
[click here]
http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/W4wwlB/TM
somitcw
2003-09-01 17:02:52 UTC
The down load time and file size are not
big problems. Even a dial-up can handle 12MB.

The problems are:
1. The *NEW* site points to the *REAL* site
and the *REAL* site does not have the manual.
2. Clicking on the manual on the *NEW* site
causes the window to appear to hang without
any warning.

I suggest that you either:
remove the pointers in the *NEW* site that
point to the *REAL* site,
or remove the pointer to the manual on the
*REAL* site,
or fix the *REAL* site to point to the manual.

I suggest also that you add a warning that
the PDF manual will not display until until it
down loads which will hang the window for
several minutes. A warning that Adobe Acrobat
opens and should be used to save the manual
might be reasonable. Another warning about
the file name might be appropriate.

Since you have finally started scanning
your manuals, I will have to attach a scanner
to my PC.
Fish
2003-09-01 16:53:13 UTC

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/W4wwlB/TM
Fish
2003-09-01 05:29:42 UTC

(crossposting to H390-DOSVS...)

George:

I finally managed to get the DOS/VS Release 34 System Management
Guide[1] downloaded.

All I have to say is:

Thank you! Thank you! THANK YOU!!

GREAT job!! :D

I would like to point out however (and PLEASE don't take this the
wrong way for I nevertheless *DO* VERY MUCH appreciate what you've
done! BELIEVE ME I appreciate it!!) that there are, unfortunately, a
few missing pages:

IBM (absolute
manual PDF file
page# page#)

10.16 (244)
10.17 (245)
10.18 (246)
13.7 (279)

I don't suppose there's any chance of you being able to "fix" your
PDF document, is there? If not, don't worry about it. I suppose an
"addendum" document that has only the missing pages in it would be
good enough.

Well, that's it I guess. Just wanted to thank you for your effort.
Reading through this thing sure brings back the memories. I only
wish/hope I can find the time some day to make good use of it.[2] :)

Thanks again and take care my friend. :)

- --
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
fish-6N/dkqvhA+***@public.gmane.org

Fight Spam! Join CAUCE!
http://www.cauce.org/

[1] Not entirely sure whether it's publication# GT00-0491-1 or
GC33-5371-6. The cover says it's "GT00-0491-1" (which somehow doesn't
sound right to me) but the inside summary of changes mentions
GC33-5371-6 (which DOES personally sound right to me).

[2] I still have plans to modify the LVTOC program and a few other
things, but when exactly I'll have time to do that is anyone's
guess.[3]

[3] Right now it's looking like it won't be until sometime around
2016 or so. :(
The DOS/VS release 34 file galleries on my new web site contains
the DOS/VS system Management Guide. This was recently scanned by me
and uploaded. It is a simple scan into a PDF file.
Anyway, page 11.2 gives the full layout of the sysres volume
including cyl, head and record numbers of the volume.
George
<snip previous>

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/W4wwlB/TM
George
2003-09-01 14:37:27 UTC
Fish,

I caught the missing 10.16, 17 and 18 and thought I fixed them, I will

No problem on the complaint, it is a legitimate one.

Let's shake out some cobwebs here... If you remember, the same
publication number for the DOS/VS series of manuals was used in
succeeding releases of DOS/VS AF, etc. The GT00-0491 was the Last
version for DOS/VS Release 34.

DOS/VS System Utilities is next.

George
cube1us
2003-08-31 22:58:20 UTC
Here are the traces.

First, a failed one, which is starting with a pack put out by
DASDINIT:

=========================== FAILED TRACE =========================

Hercules Version 2.17.b9

(c)Copyright 1999-2003 by Roger Bowler, Jan Jaeger, and others
Built on Aug 26 2003 at 21:01:34
Build information:
Modes: S/370 ESA/390 ESAME
Win32 (Windows) build
No external GUI support
HTTP Server support
No sqrtl support
No SIGABEND handler
National Language Support

Running on CYGWIN_NT-5.0 i686 1.3.22(0.78/3/2) 2003-03-18 09:20
HHCCF065I Hercules: tid=0x10110020, pid=128, pgid=128, priority=0
HHCTE001I Console connection thread started: tid=0x10126f58, pid=128
Mounted tape *
HHCTA998I Device 0180 : * is a AWS Format tape file
HHCTE003I Waiting for console connection on port 3270
HHCDA020I dosres.2311 cyls=203 heads=10 tracks=2030 trklen=4096
HHCDA020I dos002.2311 cyls=203 heads=10 tracks=2030 trklen=4096
HHCDA020I dos003.2311 cyls=203 heads=10 tracks=2030 trklen=4096
HHCDA020I test01.2311 cyls=203 heads=10 tracks=2030 trklen=4096
HHCCP002I CPU0000 thread started: tid=0x1012d6a0, pid=128, priority=0
HHCCP003I CPU0000 architecture mode S/370
HHCPN001I Control panel thread started: tid=0x10110020, pid=128
HHCTT002I Timer thread started: tid=0x1012d728, pid=128, priority=0
trace +24c
HHCPN139E Command "trace" not found; enter '?' for list.
t+24c
HHCPN136I CCW tracing is now on for device 024C
HHCTE009I Client 127.0.0.1 connected to 1052 device 001F
devinit 180 nbt02-06.aws
Mounted tape nbt02-06.aws
HHCTA998I Device 0180 : nbt02-06.aws is a AWS Format tape file
HHCPN098I Device 0180 initialized
ipl 180
HHCCP014I CPU0000: Addressing exception CODE=0005 ILC=6
PSW=00000005 C0000020 INST=D2FF11570156 MVC 343(256,1),342(0)
R:007FFF57:K:06=00 00000000 00000000 00000000 000000 ................
R:00000156:K:06=0000 00000000 00000000 00000000 0000 ................
GR00=00000000 GR01=007FFE00 GR02=00000000 GR03=00000000
GR04=00000000 GR05=00000000 GR06=00000000 GR07=00000000
GR08=00000000 GR09=00000000 GR10=00000000 GR11=00000000
GR12=00000000 GR13=00000000 GR14=00000000 GR15=00000000
devinit c junk.jcl ascii eof
HHCPN098I Device 000C initialized
024C:synchronous I/O ccw addr 00001a80
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=07001B2E 40000006=>00000000 00000300 00000000
00000000 ................
024C:HHCDA038I seeking to cyl 0 head 0
024C:HHCDA024I read trk 0 cur trk -1
024C:HHCDA030I read trk 0 cache miss, using cache[0]
024C:HHCDA031I read trk 0 reading file 1 offset 512 len 4096
024C:HHCDA034I read trk 0 trkhdr 00 0000 0000
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0000
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=31001B30 60000005=>00000000 03000000 00000000
00000000 ................
024C:HHCDA041I read count orientation is index
024C:HHCDA043I cyl 0 head 0 record 0 kl 0 dl 8 of 0
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0000
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=08001A88 00000003=>31001B30 60000005 08001A88
00000003 ....-......h....
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=31001B30 60000005=>00000000 03000000 00000000
00000000 ................
024C:HHCDA041I read count orientation is count
024C:HHCDA043I cyl 0 head 0 record 1 kl 4 dl 24 of 0
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0000
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=08001A88 00000003=>31001B30 60000005 08001A88
00000003 ....-......h....
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=31001B30 60000005=>00000000 03000000 00000000
00000000 ................
024C:HHCDA041I read count orientation is count
024C:HHCDA043I cyl 0 head 0 record 2 kl 4 dl 144 of 0
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0000
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=08001A88 00000003=>31001B30 60000005 08001A88
00000003 ....-......h....
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=31001B30 60000005=>00000000 03000000 00000000
00000000 ................
024C:HHCDA041I read count orientation is count
024C:HHCDA043I cyl 0 head 0 record 3 kl 4 dl 80 of 0
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=4C00 Count=0000
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=0E001BE9 2000008C=>00000000 00000000 00000000
00000000 ................
024C:HHCDA044I read key 4 bytes
024C:HHCDA045I read data 80 bytes
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0038 =>E5D6D3F1 E5D6D3F1 E3C5E2E3
F0F10000 VOL1VOL1TEST01..
024C:HHCDA024I read trk -1 cur trk 0
HHCCP049I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0038 CCW=001AA0
024C:synchronous I/O ccw addr 00001a80
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=07001B2E 40000006=>00000000 00000000 00000000
00000000 ................
024C:HHCDA038I seeking to cyl 0 head 0
024C:HHCDA024I read trk 0 cur trk -1
024C:HHCDA028I read trk 0 cache hit, using cache[0]
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0000
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=31001B30 60000005=>00000000 00000000 00000000
00000000 ................
024C:HHCDA041I read count orientation is index
024C:HHCDA043I cyl 0 head 0 record 0 kl 0 dl 8 of 0
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=4C00 Count=0000
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=0E001BE9 2000008C=>E5D6D3F1 E5D6D3F1 E3C5E2E3
F0F10000 VOL1VOL1TEST01..
024C:HHCDA044I read key 0 bytes
024C:HHCDA045I read data 8 bytes
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0084 =>00000000 00000000 E3C5E2E3
F0F10000 ........TEST01..
024C:HHCDA024I read trk -1 cur trk 0
HHCCP049I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0084 CCW=001AA0
stop
quit
HHCCF047I Device 000C detached
HHCCF047I Device 000D detached
HHCCF047I Device 000E detached
HHCCF047I Device 001F detached
HHCTA996I 0180 - AWS Tape nbt02-06.aws closed
HHCCF047I Device 0180 detached
HHCDA023I 024F cache hits 0, misses 0, waits 0
HHCCF047I Device 024F detached
HHCDA023I 024E cache hits 0, misses 0, waits 0
HHCCF047I Device 024E detached
HHCDA023I 024D cache hits 0, misses 0, waits 0
HHCCF047I Device 024D detached
024C:HHCDA024I read trk -1 cur trk -1
HHCDA023I 024C cache hits 1, misses 1, waits 0
HHCCF047I Device 024C detached
HHCCP008I CPU0000 thread ended: tid=0x1012d6a0, pid=128
HHCTT003I Timer thread ended
HHCLG014I logger thread terminating

========================== SUCCESSFUL TRACE ======================

And here is a trace that got further, which folks who know more about
what pack layouts look like and what the CCW's are trying to do than
I may find useful to spot something. The pack in this case was a
DLIB01 that I had initialized using IBCDASDI under OS/360 R21.8, and
then loaded with the distribution.

Hercules Version 2.17.b9

(c)Copyright 1999-2003 by Roger Bowler, Jan Jaeger, and others
Built on Aug 26 2003 at 21:01:34
Build information:
Modes: S/370 ESA/390 ESAME
Win32 (Windows) build
No external GUI support
HTTP Server support
No sqrtl support
No SIGABEND handler
National Language Support

Running on CYGWIN_NT-5.0 i686 1.3.22(0.78/3/2) 2003-03-18 09:20
HHCCF065I Hercules: tid=0x10110020, pid=1304, pgid=1304, priority=0
HHCTE001I Console connection thread started: tid=0x10126f58, pid=1304
Mounted tape *
HHCTA998I Device 0180 : * is a AWS Format tape file
HHCDA020I dosres.2311 cyls=203 heads=10 tracks=2030 trklen=4096
HHCTE003I Waiting for console connection on port 3270
HHCDA020I dos002.2311 cyls=203 heads=10 tracks=2030 trklen=4096
HHCDA020I dos003.2311 cyls=203 heads=10 tracks=2030 trklen=4096
HHCDA020I test01.2311 cyls=203 heads=10 tracks=2030 trklen=4096
HHCCP002I CPU0000 thread started: tid=0x1012d6a0, pid=1304, priority=0
HHCCP003I CPU0000 architecture mode S/370
HHCPN001I Control panel thread started: tid=0x10110020, pid=1304
HHCTT002I Timer thread started: tid=0x1012d728, pid=1304, priority=0
[...]
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0038 =>E5D6D3F1 E5D6D3F1 C4D3C9C2
F0F1F000 VOL1VOL1DLIB010.
024C:HHCDA024I read trk -1 cur trk 0
HHCCP049I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0038 CCW=001AA0
024C:synchronous I/O ccw addr 00001a80
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=07001B2E 40000006=>00000000 00020100 00000000
00000000 ................
024C:HHCDA038I seeking to cyl 0 head 2
024C:HHCDA024I read trk 2 cur trk -1
024C:asynchronous I/O ccw addr 00001a80
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=07001B2E 40000006=>00000000 00020100 00000000
00000000 ................
024C:HHCDA038I seeking to cyl 0 head 2
024C:HHCDA024I read trk 2 cur trk -1
024C:HHCDA030I read trk 2 cache miss, using cache[1]
024C:HHCDA031I read trk 2 reading file 1 offset 8704 len 4096
024C:HHCDA034I read trk 2 trkhdr 00 0000 0002
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0000
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=31001B30 60000005=>00000002 01000000 00000000
00000000 ................
024C:HHCDA041I read count orientation is index
024C:HHCDA043I cyl 0 head 2 record 0 kl 0 dl 8 of 0
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0000
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=08001A88 00000003=>31001B30 60000005 08001A88
00000003 ....-......h....
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=31001B30 60000005=>00000002 01000000 00000000
00000000 ................
024C:HHCDA041I read count orientation is count
024C:HHCDA043I cyl 0 head 2 record 1 kl 44 dl 96 of 0
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=4C00 Count=0000
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=0E001BE9 2000008C=>E5D6D3F1 E5D6D3F1 C4D3C9C2
F0F1F000 VOL1VOL1DLIB010.
024C:HHCDA044I read key 44 bytes
024C:HHCDA045I read data 96 bytes
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0000 =>04040404 04040404 04040404
04040404 ................
024C:HHCDA024I read trk -1 cur trk 2
HHCCP049I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0000 CCW=001AA0
024C:synchronous I/O ccw addr 00001ae0
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=07001B2E 40000006=>00000000 00020100 00000000
00000000 ................
024C:HHCDA038I seeking to cyl 0 head 2
024C:HHCDA024I read trk 2 cur trk -1
024C:HHCDA028I read trk 2 cache hit, using cache[1]
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0000
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=31001B30 60000005=>00000002 01000000 00000000
00000000 ................
024C:HHCDA041I read count orientation is index
024C:HHCDA043I cyl 0 head 2 record 0 kl 0 dl 8 of 0
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0000
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=08001AE8 00000004=>31001B30 60000005 08001AE8
00000004 ....-......Y....
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=31001B30 60000005=>00000002 01000000 00000000
00000000 ................
024C:HHCDA041I read count orientation is count
024C:HHCDA043I cyl 0 head 2 record 1 kl 44 dl 96 of 0
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=4C00 Count=0000
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=0D001BE9 6000008C=>04040404 04040404 04040404
04040404 ................
024C:HHCDA050I updating cyl 0 head 2 record 1 kl 44 dl 96
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0000
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=31001B30 60000005=>00000002 01000000 00000000
00000000 ................
024C:HHCDA041I read count orientation is data
024C:HHCDA043I cyl 0 head 2 record 2 kl 44 dl 96 of 0
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0000
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=08001B00 00000001=>31001B30 60000005 08001B00
00000001 ....-...........
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=31001B30 60000005=>00000002 01000000 00000000
00000000 ................
024C:HHCDA041I read count orientation is count
024C:HHCDA043I cyl 0 head 2 record 3 kl 44 dl 96 of 0
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0000
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=08001B00 00000001=>31001B30 60000005 08001B00
00000001 ....-...........
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=31001B30 60000005=>00000002 01000000 00000000
00000000 ................
024C:HHCDA041I read count orientation is count
024C:HHCDA043I cyl 0 head 2 record 4 kl 44 dl 96 of 0
HHCCP075I 024C:Stat=0C00 Count=0000
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=08001B00 00000001=>31001B30 60000005 08001B00
00000001 ....-...........
HHCCP048I 024C:CCW=31001B30 60000005=>00000002 01000000 00000000
00000000 ................
024C:HHCDA041I read count orientation is count
024C:HHCDA043I cyl 0 head 2 record 5 kl 44 dl 96 of 0
somitcw
2003-08-31 18:19:05 UTC
dasdinit creates a disk volume image.
dasdinit does not create a disk volume
pre-formatted for a DOS/360 SYSRES
volume with a DOS/360 VTOC in the
correct location and a VTOC of the
correct size for a DOS/360 SYSRES or
for any other use.

dasdinit does not create any VTOC at
all and there are no DSCBs in the VTOC
that is not created.

If INTDSK is used for any function
that requires a VTOC to already be on the
disk image and there is no VTOC on the
disk image, INTDSK will fail.

Perhaps dasdinit should be redesigned
to create a Linux disk volume, a CMS
mini-disk ( both 800 byte ones, and the
new format three sizes also ), a CP disk
volume, or zOS disk volume with both a
VTOCIX and VVDS, but then what would
IBCDASDI, INTDSK, ICKDSF, IDCAMS, CMS
FORMAT, CP FORMAT, and others do?

Another suggestion would be to rename
dasdinit to a name that doesn't imply that
it does a DASD INIT. It does not. It only
creates a DASD image with a volume label.
The old name would have to stay until tons
of documentation are changed and then the
old dasdinit should be changed to only
output an error message to give the name
of the DASD create image utility.

Why does dasdinit create a volume label?
If there is no VTOC, what does the label
point to?
cube1us
2003-08-31 23:34:13 UTC
As a test I create a small "hack" in dasdutil.c:create_ckd_file
(which dasdinit calls) to not write the IPL records or the Volume
Label on track 0. When I do that, DOS/360 IBCDASD works just fine.
So my hunch about the volume label turned out to be correct.

My "hack" was to have it test for the special volume label "NONONO"
and skip the statements that build those records.

/* Cyl 0 head 0 contains IPL records and volume label */
if (cyl == 0 && head == 0 && strcmp(volser,"NONONO") != 0)

An option flag (or modifying the existing dasdcopy flag) to
create_ckd_file and hence to the dasdinit program would be just the
ticket. That way, the packs can come "just like out of the factory".

Jay Jaeger
Fish
2003-09-01 02:52:31 UTC
Post by cube1us
As a test I create a small "hack" in dasdutil.c:create_ckd_file
(which dasdinit calls) to not write the IPL records or the Volume
Label on track 0. When I do that, DOS/360 IBCDASD works just fine.
So my hunch about the volume label turned out to be correct.
Jay,

My/our apologies. We ARE in fact "creating/initializing" the dasd
with a VOL1 label (as well as an IPL1 & IPL2 record too as a matter
of fact) so I was wrong to say dasdinit simply does a "low-level
factory initialization" of the pack in question. It does not. It does
slightly more than that. Sorry.

Of course it hasn't really been a problem up until now but I guess
that's beside the point: it IS a "problem" (IMO) since we're not
properly doing what it is we claim [dasdinit is supposed] to be doing
and thus SHOULD (IMO) be fixed to either: a) provide an option to
bypass the writing of the IPL1/IPL2/VOL1 records or b) to create a
proper VTOC and have the VOL1 label point to it.

I'll bring the issue up with the other developers if you haven't
already.
Post by cube1us
My "hack" was to have it test for the special volume label "NONONO"
and skip the statements that build those records.
/* Cyl 0 head 0 contains IPL records and volume label */
if (cyl == 0 && head == 0 && strcmp(volser,"NONONO") != 0)
That's an interesting way of doing it. :)
Post by cube1us
An option flag (or modifying the existing dasdcopy flag) to
create_ckd_file and hence to the dasdinit program would be just the
ticket. That way, the packs can come "just like out of the
factory".
Agreed. An option to do ONLY a "factory initialize" would be the
proper way to approach this IMO (with the default being the current
behavior of course), and a "ZZFIXME" (a "ToDo [at some point in the
future]") comment we all (so we can maybe eventually get the VOL1/F4
logic to fixed to work [more?] "properly" of course).

Again, if you haven't already mentioned this on the zHerc list I'll
go ahead and do it.[1]

Thanks for all your efforts, Jay, as well as your incredible patience
in this matter. Both are *greatly* appreciated. Really. :)

To everyone else: please don't forget (i.e. lose sight of the fact)
that Hercules is still very much "a work in progress" and may still
be "a little rough around the edges" in a few places. We're doing the
best we can but we all get busy[2] from time to time and sometimes
overlook a few things here and there. Then too, we're only human and
sometimes even (gasp!) MAKE MISTAKES[3], so we appreciate your
continued patience as Hercules continues to evolve.

AND... it goes without saying that everyone is welcome to contribute
to the effort too. Feel free to hack away at Herc source on your own
and share your results with the rest of the community (just as Jay
did here).[4]

Hercules is only as good as we ALL -- *together* -- make it out to
be.

:)

- --
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
fish-6N/dkqvhA+***@public.gmane.org

Fight Spam! Join CAUCE!
http://www.cauce.org/

[1] Yahoo has been *incredibly* flaky these past few days. Posts not
showing up until HOURS later (sometime DAYS later!), etc.[5]
*Terribly* frustrating. :(

[2] SOME with this thing called "Real Life". I'm not quite keen on
the actual details of the thing myself but others assure me it DOES
in fact really exist. <shrug> Go figure. :)

[3] Yep. Hard to believe I know, but nonetheless true. >;-)

[4] You DON'T have to be a "Herc developer"[6] to contribute to Herc
development either! Just post your patches and/or throw up a web page
somewhere where we can get at them like Hackules[7] did.

[5] But then what else is new, eh? ((SIGH!)) :(

[6] Nor even a DEVELOPER either! You can contribute in many other
ways too! You could help write/update the documentation for instance.
OR, you could donate some hardware just as another example. <shrug>
Hell, even if it's just "spreading the word" [about Hercules], it
doesn't matter. The only thing that DOES matter is that you DO
contribute. (Please?)

[7] http://www.geocities.com/hackules390/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/W4wwlB/TM
cube1us
2003-08-31 22:51:01 UTC
If dasdinit didn't create the volume label, it would
probably/hopefully be fine. But it does (without, as you say,
creating the VTOC, etc.). I suspect that, upon seeing the Volume
Label, it goes looking for the rest, and gets confused.

What we probably need to fix this is an option for dasdinit to not
create the volume label. All I need is a program that will create
a "blank" media.

See another post reply for the trace (coming up soon).

Jay Jaeger
cube1us
2003-08-31 23:04:31 UTC
DOS/360 INTDSK does not *require* a VTOC. It was intended to be used
with disks "fresh from the factory" or to re-initialize existing
packs. I suspect the problem is that it is just getting confused by
the particular kind of thing that dasdinit is giving it. Finding a
volume label, it expects to find more, and panics when it doesn't.

I don't recall DOS/VS R34 INTDSK having this problem, and OS/360
R21.8 IBCDASDI doesn't seem to have this problem, either.

The cure is probably to have an option in dasdinit to not create the
volume label, but we'll have to test to be sure. If I get some time,
I might go muck about with the dasdinit source....

Jay Jaeger
cube1us
2003-09-01 00:56:23 UTC
Post by somitcw
Why does dasdinit create a volume label?
If there is no VTOC, what does the label
point to?
Aye, matey, there's the rub, methinks.

The problem is that it writes a volume label, but does not write
something else that would normally be there. (Actually, the
supposition that it is a missing F4 DSCB is just that -- derived from
the error code 4404A which means just that under full DOS/360). This
confuses DOS/360 INTDSK -- and I suppose it would have on the real
hardware as well.

I wrote a small "hack" on dasdutils.c to check for the
volume "NONONO" ( 8^) ), and with that volser, changed it to not
write the IPL records or the volume label. When I do that, then
DOS/360 INTDSK is happy.

I don't recall having this problem with DOS/VS R34 INTDSK, so,
perhaps by then, some real customer on some real machine ran into a
pack with a volume label but not the rest and complained. ;^)

Suggested cure would be for an option in dasdutil.c:create_ckd_file
to not write the IPL records or volume label.

Jay Jaeger
Jay Maynard
2003-09-01 12:28:43 UTC
Post by cube1us
Suggested cure would be for an option in dasdutil.c:create_ckd_file
to not write the IPL records or volume label.
This seems reasonable. If nobody beats me to it, I'll add it to CVS this
evening.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/W4wwlB/TM