[hercules-390] A Spare Llano box, a install of Hercules and a set of z/OS tape images: "Hold my beer..."
4oth2sembwnmzgaytyhqcadduzbdedpypsctskdr@yahoo.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-29 03:15:53 UTC
Hello, all!

So, i've been wanting some dedicated hardware to run Hercules on full-time since I've recently started dabbling in the world of mainframe emulation and have had a lot of fun with MTS and z/OS 1.10. I have an old project box - a A4-3400 system with 8gb of DDR3 in it - and I'm thinking it'd be at least as up to the job as a RasPi 3 would be for my micro-mainframe project.

The A4-3400 itself is a lower-end AMD APU that's dual-core and supports x64. I'd be concerned about CPU performance since if anything'd be a bottleneck here it's that, but from what i've seen on my desktop z/OS environments on Herc are more memory intensive than anything, consuming a gig and a half on my desktop.

What do you all think? Should i not bother or stick to lighter fare like MTS or MVS?
kerravon86@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390]
2016-08-29 06:30:16 UTC
I personally consider MVS/380 to be
the most "fun" environment, which is
what you seem to be after.

BFN. Paul.

Cory Smelosky b4@gewt.net [hercules-390]
2016-08-29 23:51:37 UTC
Are there patches against the latest hercules to add S/380 support?
Post by ***@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390]
[...]
Yahoo Groups Links
--
Cory Smelosky
***@gewt.net
kerravon86@yahoo.com.au [hercules-390]
2016-08-30 03:56:01 UTC
Post by Cory Smelosky ***@gewt.net [hercules-390]
Are there patches against the latest hercules to add S/380 support?
No, but there is still discussion about getting
it formally into standard Hercules, as a
non-default option, and "properly architected".

BFN. Paul.
4oth2sembwnmzgaytyhqcadduzbdedpypsctskdr@yahoo.com [hercules-390]
2016-09-03 23:51:40 UTC
Loading Image... http://puu.sh/qZ0MB/d7569ebefe.png Preliminary results for z/Architecture emulation on a six year old APU are good! Witness me reducing my i7-4790k desktop to a glorified dumb terminal for said A4-3400 box.

I was going to go with MINT or Ubuntu for my operating system but had to fall back to Win7 as AMD apparently depreciated the FGLRX Linux drivers this thing needs and the open source AMD drivers don't like booting past text mode on this system no matter what i do, making linux not an option unless i fall back to an old enough version that X and the most recent version of FGLRX will still play ball.

Now i just wanna get an actual, physical serial terminal hooked up to this thing - given that most of the documentation on doing that out there is for linux i bet this'll be fun (i.e. a pain) to feel out.
4oth2sembwnmzgaytyhqcadduzbdedpypsctskdr@yahoo.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-29 03:38:22 UTC
Also, I'm not sure if posts can be edited under newsgroup environments or not so my apologies if doubleposting is frowned upon with them too, but i just noticed the rule against anonymous posting - sorry 'bout that. I've changed my membership settings to actually display a name but the thread isn't showing it... I'm Mister Argent.
Mike Schwab Mike.A.Schwab@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-29 16:06:34 UTC
One guy installed Hercules on a bunch of NAS drives on the atom processors
in the drive. Not a lot of processing power.

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 10:15 PM,
Post by ***@yahoo.com [hercules-390]
Hello, all!
So, i've been wanting some dedicated hardware to run Hercules on full-time
since I've recently started dabbling in the world of mainframe emulation
and have had a lot of fun with MTS and z/OS 1.10. I have an old project box
- a A4-3400 system with 8gb of DDR3 in it - and I'm thinking it'd be at
least as up to the job as a RasPi 3 would be for my micro-mainframe project.
The A4-3400 itself is a lower-end AMD APU that's dual-core and supports
x64. I'd be concerned about CPU performance since if anything'd be a
bottleneck here it's that, but from what i've seen on my desktop z/OS
environments on Herc are more memory intensive than anything, consuming a
gig and a half on my desktop.
What do you all think? Should i not bother or stick to lighter fare like MTS or MVS?
--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA
Cory Smelosky b4@gewt.net [hercules-390]

New Kensington, PA
Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-30 00:04:10 UTC
Hello!
But the documentation is illegible.

Dave what's with the riot? Cory what's with the thrown trucks?
-----
Gregg C Levine ***@gmail.com
Yahoo Groups Links
Maarten Hoes hoes.maarten@gmail.com [hercules-390]
2016-08-29 17:31:50 UTC

Well. For what it's worth. (newbee here. perhaps even less than that).
Please do stick to whatever you feel is enjoying to pursue.

Having said that, I guess a lot of it 'depends' on whether you 'just' want
to run the core os single-user, or whether you want to run 'workloads'
(what kind ? how many users ?) on it.

Having said *that* ... didn't you just say you got it running on a
Raspberry Pi ? If I understood that correctly, I'm fairly sure that the
'8GB RAM dual-core x64 AMD A4-3400' (how many GHZ CPU?) will suffice.

- Maarten

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 5:15 AM,
2016-08-29 23:38:40 UTC
The RasPi remark was in ref to people having built it for RasPis before - i was thinking about getting one but remembered i had this box. never had a use for it, but turning it into a full-time micro mainframe'd be fun!