install Z-os under Hercules
nisko55
2004-11-30 07:43:33 UTC
did anyone succeed to install Z-os (V5) under hercules
if so, can U sned me the config file/instruction how to do it.

i have the CD's of Z-os (and of course the license to install it)
but i didn't succeed doing it.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
somitcw
2004-11-30 08:16:03 UTC
Post by nisko55
did anyone succeed to install Z-os (V5)
under hercules if so, can U sned me the
config file/instruction how to do it.
1. Install Hercules on the type of system
that you didn't specify.

2. Copy or create the disk images from the
files that you have on the CD but didn't
specify. Using CCKD disks instead of AWS
CKD disks will save disk space.

3. Create a Hercules configuration file
after reading:
http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules/hercconf.html
Post by nisko55
i have the CD's of Z-os (and of course
the license to install it) but i didn't
succeed doing it.
Please read your license carefully.
Some are picky on the hardware and emulator
that you can use.

What is the error message?

I will not tell you the line number of
the error in your configuration file that
you didn't post.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
Volker Bandke
2004-11-30 11:52:10 UTC

I have a licence to run z/OS on my Flex-ES system, but explicitly
_NO_ licence to run it under Hercules. This has been given to me in
every so clear words. Now, of course, seeing your post, I wonder:
what kind of incantations, black or white magic, or other actions did
you have to go through to get a licence to run ADCD system under
Hercules.

With kind Regards |\ _,,,---,,_
ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,
Volker Bandke |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
(BSP GmbH) '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

Your friends will know you better in the first minute you meet
than your acquaintances will know you in a thousand years. -- Richard
Bach

(Another Wisdom from my fortune cookie jar)

- ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
- --------------------~-->
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
- --------------------------------------------------------------------~-
moti cb

- --------------------------------------------------------------------~-
kvshetye
2004-11-30 13:57:20 UTC
Post by moti cb
it took me alot of time to have licence to install it, but know i
don't how to do it can u help?
Congratulations. Great. you got the licence. Now please tell us
what is the procedure to get that(licence for hercules). It will
help the people on this forum. Other people also can try the way you
got it.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
David Wade
2004-11-30 16:26:32 UTC
Post by moti cb
it took me alot of time to have licence to install it, but know i
don't how to do it can u help?
You explain how to get license, we explain how to install. Fair deal?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
Norman Hollander
2004-11-30 17:48:36 UTC
YES- it runs just fine. I happened to be moving HERC to a
new and faster and larger system. The system is a Pentium 4
Hyperthread processor (3.4GHz) with 2GB RAM. I created a separate
H-Drive of about 100GBs for all of HERC and the Operating Systems DASD
plus my own zSetup for running (the setup is from a previous Share
Presentation that I did a few years back. Maybe time to zUpdate it or
hercUpdate it). My HERC Drive is H. Here are the steps I used:

- create a Cygwin directory on H:
- go to www.Cygwin.com and select the Install Icon to install the
most current release. I had a lot of problems with this. I
finally used an HTTP server (mirror.xmission.com) and
selected
the RE-INSATALL option under the Category Tab. I also put
the HERC system in the DMZ of my Router (but I'm not sure this
really helped). Follow the HERC directions to add the correct
directories to the Pathing. For WinXP, righ-clice on My
Computer, Select Properties, Select Advanced Tab, Select
EnvironmENTAL Variable Radio Button, Highlight Path in lower
frame and click EDIT. For my system I added:
H:\Cygwin\usr\local\bin;H:\Cygwin\usr\local;H:\Cygwin\bin
- I use the HERC GUI. Navigate to the website and down load the
current version. I install it in its own directory
H;\Herc-GUI
- go to the appropriate HERC sites and get FISH Pack, TUN/TAP, and
PCAP (current version is 3.0; but I actually used the beta
version available at the PCAP web site). I install all of these
into H:\Cygwin\bin
- go to the HERC Snapshot website and download the current version.
I use the snapshot for a 2way processor using Fish Threads on
a P4. Install into H:\Cygwin
- reboot your system
- you should now be able to bring up HERC with the Herc-GUI. You
will have to update the locations where your files are. In
Herc-Gui,
select FILE, then select Preferences

- un-zip your OS DASD volumes
- I use the utilities to compress these files into HERC format
compressed files using the DASDCOPY function. This positions
you to then create shadow files (if you want to).
- update the HERC config file. I put mine in H:\Herc-Config
- perform a Power On, answering all the startup questions.
- IPL your system. You will probably need to perform a Cold Start
the first time.

If you have more questions, feel free to email me off-list, and I'll try to
help you.

(Private note:
For anyone wondering about licensing, I will not discus my "arrangements".
So please do not burden the list with how questions and statements.
Thanx!)

kvshetye
2004-12-01 09:57:17 UTC
Post by Norman Hollander
So please do not burden the list with how questions and statements.
Thanx!)
Good. That means you are seeking help from others on this forum but
do not wish to help them. Great.

Kailas.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
Binyamin Dissen
2004-12-01 11:05:22 UTC
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 09:57:17 -0000 "kvshetye" <kvshetye-/***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

:>> For anyone wondering about licensing, I will not discus
:>my "arrangements".
:>> So please do not burden the list with how questions and statements.
:>> Thanx!)

:>Good. That means you are seeking help from others on this forum but
:>do not wish to help them. Great.

You forgot to supply him with the price list for support.

Installing zOS on Hercules - $14,000

Payable in advance, of course.

--
Binyamin Dissen <bdissen-***@public.gmane.org>
http://www.dissensoftware.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
Norman Hollander
2004-12-01 18:40:14 UTC
I think the point is being missed.
I'm happy to discus any technical
matters with HERC and any OS I've
installed. Either in this public
forum or privately. You all know
your licensing arrangements. We
all know the challenges of the z/OS
hobbyist. So, if I, or anyone else,
do not want to discus these arrangements,
why not respect that? And I'm ignoring
the $14,000 comment (I will remember it
for along time though).

jim stephens
2004-12-01 19:01:52 UTC
$14,000 seems to be meaningless anyway, as another poster said
that the Flex license seems to exclude using hercules with their
system, and by extension at least if you are using the ADCD sets
those too.

$14,000 does not apply to a "real" Z/OS license. I imagine that
the lowest buyin is much higher than that if it is not from the ADCD
disk sets.
William Ek
2004-12-02 01:16:53 UTC
I have to agree with Norman; this issue has been discussed
to death and we are neither prosecutors nor on the IBM legal
team (I'm assuming). If you don't want to help any or all of
the posters to this list then don't. I further agree that
the price list comment was way off message for this forum.

Bill

Post by Norman Hollander
:>do not wish to help them. Great.
You forgot to supply him with the price list for support.
Installing zOS on Hercules - $14,000
Payable in advance, of course.
--
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Should you use the mailblocks package and expect a
response from me,
Post by Norman Hollander
I very rarely bother responding to challenge/response
systems,
Post by Norman Hollander
http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules
Yahoo! Groups Links
------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
Sponsor --------------------~-->
Post by Norman Hollander
Make a clean sweep of pop-up ads. Yahoo! Companion
Toolbar.
Norman Hollander
2004-12-02 02:14:36 UTC
Thankx for the support Bill. Now, in the
spirit of the season, can we just move on?
As I've previously suggested, I'm happy to
provide assistance if there is something I
can help with from my HERC, mainframe or
Performance experience. And I won't
discriminate against those who don't speak
English (or some derivative) as their primary
language.

Binyamin Dissen
2004-12-02 09:15:43 UTC
On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:14:36 -0800 "Norman Hollander"
<norman-hollander-***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

:>Thankx for the support Bill. Now, in the
:>spirit of the season, can we just move on?
:>As I've previously suggested, I'm happy to
:>provide assistance if there is something I
:>can help with from my HERC, mainframe or
:>Performance experience. And I won't
:>discriminate against those who don't speak
:>English (or some derivative) as their primary
:>language.

To me the issue was the posters request for help, and when he was asked for
help flatly replied "I ain't gonna help you".

David Wade
2004-12-02 09:40:52 UTC
Should we as a groups, have some sort of standard answer we send to
folks on this list who ask about Z-OS or other licensed software, so
we avoid this in future?

Or at least some guidance from the list owner that says either:-

a) Discusion of Licensed software is O.K. We do not need to check
that the user is licensed

b) A simple statement that the user is licensed should enable
discussion.

c) We should not discus how to run Z-OS as we don't believe it is
possible to obtain a valid license.

I am sorry to bring this up, but view of opinions expressed on other
forums, I want to be sure I don't tread on any ones toes.

Dave Wade

P.S. And having decided can we updated the groups home page to
reflect the policy!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
Jay Maynard
2004-12-02 21:36:10 UTC
Post by David Wade
Should we as a groups, have some sort of standard answer we send to
folks on this list who ask about Z-OS or other licensed software, so
we avoid this in future?
Yes.
Post by David Wade
Or at least some guidance from the list owner that says either:-
a) Discusion of Licensed software is O.K. We do not need to check
that the user is licensed
b) A simple statement that the user is licensed should enable
discussion.
c) We should not discus how to run Z-OS as we don't believe it is
possible to obtain a valid license.
Fair enough.

I've said all along that we, out here on the wide Internet, cannot and do
not know all of the details of any user's arrangements with IBM, and they're
often prohibited from discussing them. As such, we cannot know whether their
use of licensed software is legal or not. Further, we're not IBM's licensing
enforcers, and I, for one, am not getting paid enoguh to become one.
Finally, it is known that Hercules is used widely within IBM, and such use
is, by definition, legal (since IBM cannot violate its own copyright). Many
of those users post from non-IBM addresses for lots of different reasons,
and it is not our place to question why.

There have been statements by others that it is not possible to obtain a
license to run currently available IBM program products on Hercules. I have
never seen any support for those statements from within IBM, either
officially or unofficially. In the absence of such support, I must discount
those statements as being the opinion of the person making them, not as hard
fact. The only exception to this is the Partnerworld for Developers AD/CD
package, which states in its licensing for recent versions that it may only
be used on Flex-ES and not on other emulators.

These discussions are, in our bitter experience, usually acrimonious,
long-running, and quite unlikely to change anyone's mind. They also are of
profound disinterest to many, many list members due to their repetitive
nature.

Therefore:

Discussion of running licensed software on Hercules is permitted. If the
user claims to be licensed, then that is sufficient for the purposes of this
list. If a user wishes to discuss how he became licensed, that's his
prerogative - but all such discussions are off-topic for the main
hercules-390 list. Those wishing to discuss licensing issues, be they their
own situation or another's, are directed to the hercules-advocacy list.

This does not apply specifically to the IBM Partnerworld for Developers
AD/CD software package. This package is not licensed to be run on Hercules
under any conditions. Discussion of running AD/CD systems on Hercules is not
permitted. It should be noted, however, that the AD/CD is merely a
collection of IBM licensed software in a form that permits rapid
installation, and those products are available through other channels.

This in no way obligates anyone to provide assistance to others if they
believe that doing so is wrong under any given set of circumstances. Each
user must follow his own conscience when deciding to provide assistance to
others, considering issues of both legality and the potential to support
piracy of IBM software.
Post by David Wade
I am sorry to bring this up, but view of opinions expressed on other
forums, I want to be sure I don't tread on any ones toes.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to formalize what I've been saying for
years.
Post by David Wade
P.S. And having decided can we updated the groups home page to
reflect the policy!
I will do so.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
somitcw
2004-12-02 22:20:16 UTC
Post by Jay Maynard
This does not apply specifically to the
IBM Partnerworld for Developers AD/CD
software package. This package is not
licensed to be run on Hercules under any
conditions. Discussion of running AD/CD
systems on Hercules is not permitted.
Are you saying that you do not allow
IBM to use Hercules to test AD/CD or not
allow IBM to use AD/CD to test Hercules?

Or are you trying to enforce an IBM
restriction that they normally place on
Developers?

Either way, posters seldom identify
if their CDs are AD/CD, DemoPkg, Service
Pak, CBPDO, PTFs, manuals, music, etc.

My opinion is that we should take
posters at their word and never do worse
than remind them to check their license.
Just my opinion.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
sginnane
2004-12-03 05:24:52 UTC
Post by somitcw
My opinion is that we should take
posters at their word and never do worse
than remind them to check their license.
Just my opinion.
And FWIW I'll also offer mine.
I made a conscious decision not to respond to any post that didn't
directly relate to Herc itself, or one of the non-licensed O/Ss
When I can (which isn't often) I'll try and help.
On the newer releases, even where I might be able to, I just pass onto
the next message.

Everybody can make their own decision.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
Norman Hollander
2004-12-02 02:17:35 UTC
I have a lot of RAM available for HERC to use
on the newly installed system. Can't seem to
get more than 768MB for MAINSIZE. Is there a
maximum size (that I don't recall)? I don't have
any of the registry zaps as we did prior to R3.
I would like to get up to (and maybe over) 2GB.

Thanx!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
Greg Smith
2004-12-02 03:48:48 UTC
Post by Norman Hollander
I have a lot of RAM available for HERC to use
on the newly installed system. Can't seem to
get more than 768MB for MAINSIZE. Is there a
maximum size (that I don't recall)? I don't have
any of the registry zaps as we did prior to R3.
I would like to get up to (and maybe over) 2GB.
You don't say what software or hardware you are using. However
`registry zaps' implies windows/cygwin/ia32.

We do have a hardcoded limit of 1024 for mainsize. I am tempted to
remove it. For everything but windows, we use malloc(). For windows we
try malloc and if that fails we try mmap. This is important, because we
have to pass a value to these functions, and there may be contortions
you have to do to pass a 64-bit value instead of a 32-bit value.

One problem (at least for linux), fixed just yesterday, is that we first
malloc()ed mainstor before processing the device statements. This means
that when a ctc device was processed and the hercifc process is forked
then there needs to be enough virtual storage for something twice the
size of hercules (even though it's all released after the exec). Now we
get mainstor after processing the device statements.

One other thing. There is other storage obtained than mainstor.
Perhaps 100M or so (that's a wag).

Greg

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
Norman Hollander
2004-12-02 05:55:48 UTC
It's WinXP SP2 on a P4 with HT (3.4GHz)
with 2GB RAM. I was trying to get 1536MB
(invalid specification) then 1024 (unavailable)
then 1000 (unavailable).
There is no registry entry zapped
(as in pre 3.0) or unzapped (as in
after 3.0). Maybe a smaller number
needs to be specified in the registry based
on some of the desciptions for malloc() and mmap?

I would be in favor of lifting the 1024
limit, since many of these systems have a
larger amount of RAM then in the past. And
it is pretty cheap to get 1GB add ons.

Greg
kvshetye
2004-12-02 12:05:02 UTC
Norman,

Do not take $14000 comment seriously. I thought people are here to
help others. I personally respect your wish for not disclosing your
arrangements. It would have helped other people to learn Z/OS
without making any direct loss (i guess) to you. Do you wish other
people should not get it to learn?

Anyway, for me this licensing issue is closed. I just put my
thoughts.

Regards,

Kailas
Jay Maynard
2004-12-01 13:45:51 UTC
Post by kvshetye
Post by Norman Hollander
For anyone wondering about licensing, I will not discus
my "arrangements".
So please do not burden the list with how questions and statements.
Thanx!)
Good. That means you are seeking help from others on this forum but
do not wish to help them. Great.
You don't know that. It may well be that he cannot discuss his arrangements
because of the way he got his license. In any event, we don't know the whole
story, so it's not our place to impugn his motives.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
tmalik43
2005-02-06 03:00:43 UTC
Hi I have my ZOS 1.4 & 1.5 running fine under Herc... but am having
trouble with 1.6..... After restoring (CKDRESTORE under flexes) the
file is about 2.8GB... when I use DASDCOPY it throws a segmentation
error and also it lists the volume as 3370 device.... which is also
incorrect.... Can you give some hint.... Thanks.
but i didn't succeed doing it.
somitcw
2005-02-06 03:35:12 UTC
Post by tmalik43
Hi I have my ZOS 1.4 & 1.5 running fine under
Herc... but am having trouble with 1.6.....
After restoring (CKDRESTORE under flexes) the
file is about 2.8GB... when I use DASDCOPY it
throws a segmentation error and also it lists
the volume as 3370 device.... which is also
incorrect.... Can you give some hint.... Thanks.
- - - snipped - - -

Have you tried a bleeding edge version of Hercules?
Some idea of the release date would help.

Are you trying to copy the AWSCKD image from CD
to Hercules CCKD or are you trying to copy a
Flex-ES disk slice ( looks like FBA like a 3370 )
to AWSCKD, CCKD, or other?

I assume that the original CD 2.8GB disk image
is a 3390-3 which should work well under Hercules
without DASDCOPY. If you ran CKDRESTORE against
the good file or file-pair, there are still ways
to recover the disk data.

If you must copy, have you tried DASDINIT
followed by DDR?
tmalik43
2005-02-06 14:00:55 UTC
Thanks for your reply.... I am using Herc 3.0.2.... Here is the
sequence of events:
1. ckdfmt -r -n /s390/z6res1 3390-3
2. gunzip -c /mnt/cdrom/z6res1.gz | ckdrestore - /disk1/z6res1.flx

3. Then when i try to attach, i get following error.
attach 0A91 3390 /disk1/z6res1.flx
HHCDA010E /disk1/3390/zos14/z6res1.flx CKD header invalid
HHCCF044E Initialization failed for device 0A91

CD1 is 1.6 Dec 2004 release.... I tried DASDCOPY etc and none seem to
work... Thanks.
followed by DDR?
somitcw
2005-02-06 14:20:15 UTC
Are you implying that you are attempting
to use the original Hercules 3.0.2 or just
trying to keep the date secret to make
guessing at the problem more difficult?

If you want to convert Flex-ES CKD disk
to AWSCKD disk, use something like:
and you may care to use DASDCOPY then
specifying convertion from CKD to CCKD.
Another option is to back the disk up
under Flex-ES and restore to a disk
created with DASDINIT under Hercules.
Both DDR or ADRDSSU should work.
Post by tmalik43
Thanks for your reply....
I am using Herc 3.0.2....
followed by DDR?
Volker Bandke
2005-02-06 14:24:25 UTC
IBM has changed the format of the ADCD CDROM files. I assume that
you have a licence to run ADCD under Hercules. Therefore I suggest
that you ask IBM what would be the best way to transfer the CDROM
contents to Hercules

With kind Regards |\ _,,,---,,_
ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,
Volker Bandke |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
(BSP GmbH) '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your
house. -- George Carlin

(Another Wisdom from my fortune cookie jar)

Not sure what you mean by "changed". All of the ADCD versions I've seen,
have been the same. There are more z/OS volumes provided, with the more
recent releases.

2005-02-07 07:48:51 UTC
- From the ADCD support website

- ---------------- quote --------------------------------

Note: Each CD contains a CDx file. This file is an executable file
under Linux for a standard (non-raw) type of unload. The executable
file will first format the required disk. Then unzip and restore the
3390 data.

- --------------- unquote ------------------------------

IOW, the file is no longer a zipped CKDAWS disk image.

With kind Regards |\ _,,,---,,_
ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,
Volker Bandke |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
(BSP GmbH) '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

Receiving a million dollars tax free will make you feel better
than being flat broke and having a stomach ache. -- Dolph Sharp, "I'm
O.K., You're Not So Hot"

(Another Wisdom from my fortune cookie jar)

Mike Schwab
2005-02-06 21:29:35 UTC
I think this is a feature of Hercules. It uses a 2 byte signed binary
number (0-32K) for the track number, and so has a limit of 2184
Cylinders (just under a 3390-2). If you go to the group's web page
you should be able to find this in the archive since Xmas 2004 (when I
joined).

Post by somitcw
Have you tried a bleeding edge version of Hercules?
Some idea of the release date would help.
Are you trying to copy the AWSCKD image from CD
to Hercules CCKD or are you trying to copy a
Flex-ES disk slice ( looks like FBA like a 3370 )
to AWSCKD, CCKD, or other?
I assume that the original CD 2.8GB disk image
is a 3390-3 which should work well under Hercules
without DASDCOPY. If you ran CKDRESTORE against
the good file or file-pair, there are still ways
to recover the disk data.
If you must copy, have you tried DASDINIT
followed by DDR?
http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules
Yahoo! Groups Links
--
Mike A Schwab, Litchfield IL USA
Home 1.217.324.7911 Work 1.217.785.8815
mailto:uce-***@public.gmane.org (bait monitored by FBI)
Greg Smith
2005-02-06 21:43:18 UTC
Interesting.

The ckd limitations are:
1) a cckd file cannot exceed 4G
2) a cckd file and ckd file cannot exceed 2G on systems that do not
support large files (or 64-bit offsets). In this circumstance, you can
have multiple ckd files.
3) for cckd, if the file size limit is about to be exceeded, you can add
a shadow file. I am thinking about enabling the code to do this
automagically if the situation occurs, but, so far, it doesn't seem to
be an issue.

Hercules supports 3390-27 and that's way more than 32k trks. I believe
I have recently read that there are now 3390-54's out there.

The real issue at hand is how to restore a flex-es disk dump to a file
in hercules ckd/cckd format. While not particularly difficult to do,
there are some issues at hand that need to be considered.

Greg
somitcw

- - - snipped - - -
Norman Hollander
2005-02-07 00:39:22 UTC
I may have spoken to quickly. I have not seen any 1.6 CDs yet.
So I can't say for sure that there is no challenge. Anyone else
having the same problem?

2004-12-01 09:24:31 UTC

Suggestion - you help me get such a licence, and I will create a
step-by-step document how to get the system running on Hercules. I
would need a licence before doing so, of course, in order to test if
the instructions are really working

With kind Regards |\ _,,,---,,_
ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,
Volker Bandke |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
(BSP GmbH) '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

Each problem solved introduces a new unsolved problem.

(Another Wisdom from my fortune cookie jar)

did anyone succeed to install Z-os (V5) under hercules
if so, can U sned me the config file/instruction how to do it.

i have the CD's of Z-os (and of course the license to install it)
but i didn't succeed doing it.

- - ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
- - --------------------~-->
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
- -
- --------------------------------------------------------------------~-
Norman Hollander
2004-12-03 19:42:23 UTC
Fish-

As always, you were correct.

I set the following to 64 (started at 128 and worked down):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin] and
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin]\

I'm now able to get 1024MB for MAINSIZE. Now how difficult
will it be to have the hard coded limit of 1024 removed, or
at leased increased to, say, 4096?

Also, the "new" GUI seems to work fine. Haven't received
the GUI Bug message.

Again- many Thanx!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
Greg Smith
2004-12-04 00:48:43 UTC
Post by Norman Hollander
Fish-
As always, you were correct.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin] and
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin]\
I'm now able to get 1024MB for MAINSIZE. Now how difficult
will it be to have the hard coded limit of 1024 removed, or
at leased increased to, say, 4096?
I removed this limit last night. For 32-bit intel I don't think you're
going to get 4G. Hercules emulated memory maps directly into host's
virtual memory.

Greg

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM
Norman Hollander
2004-12-04 02:02:30 UTC
Is this mod in a current snapshot?
I just picked 4GB, since most Dell
desktops I'm aware of can have a max
4GB. Realistically, 2 GB is probably
good (for now).

Thanx!

Greg
Pasi Pirhonen
2004-12-04 12:14:29 UTC
Hi,
Post by Greg Smith
Post by Norman Hollander
Fish-
As always, you were correct.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin] and
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin]\
I'm now able to get 1024MB for MAINSIZE. Now how difficult
will it be to have the hard coded limit of 1024 removed, or
at leased increased to, say, 4096?
I removed this limit last night. For 32-bit intel I don't think you're
going to get 4G. Hercules emulated memory maps directly into host's
virtual memory.
For x86-64 linux running on x86-64 hardware that should not be a
problem. Unfortunately i don't have now hardware for over 4GB for that,
but i can later sort some memories and make a test box that does have
5GB memory.

I have then tho (Greg knows how lame coder i am) verified that one can
malloc() arbitary zised blocks with x86-64 tho.

The lame point being that one cannot do things like

something = (n*1024*1024)

when it's 'int n;' and try to malloc >2GB with n=2500 ... at least
with gcc :)
--
Pasi Pirhonen - upi-***@public.gmane.org - http://iki.fi/upi/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/W4wwlB/TM