Not able to use the "HILITE" option in ISPF EDIT Mode
Roland Grießbach
2005-03-22 16:13:20 UTC
I'm not able to aktivate the "HILITE" modus in ISPF EDIT using
hercules and terminal emulation. Tried different emulators (QWS3270,
Invalid terminal
Enhanced coloring is not available on this terminal because the
terminal does not support extended highlighting.
Any idea what to do, to get this function working.
Thanks in advance
Roland
somitcw
2005-03-22 21:51:11 UTC
My guess is that you defined the terminal
as having extended attributes but then connect
it through a Hercules 3270.

If you need extended attributes, try
connecting through TCPIP.

If standard highlighting is all that is
needed, define the terminal as not having
extended attributes.

It could also be defined wrong at other
places:
1. What is the terminal type on QWS3270+
2. What is the terminal type in TCPIP
3. What is the terminal type in VTAM
4. What is the terminal type in ISPF 0
Post by Roland Grießbach
Hi,
I'm not able to aktivate the "HILITE" modus
in ISPF EDIT using hercules and terminal
emulation. Tried different emulators
(QWS3270, QWS3270Plus, IBM Personal
Roland
ddkulas
2005-03-27 23:44:53 UTC
I worked at an insurance company in Milwaukee for awhile and ran into
the same problem. Our production system was fine. It worked. We had a
small standalone system used for testing. This problem came up in that
test system. I talked to the systems people and they were not
interested in pursuing it because it only occured when the standalone
system was taken out of the SYSPLEX for testing.

I do know that I used the same emulator with the same settings when it
worked and when it failed. Therefore I dont think it was the emulator.
I also had the same terminal defied to ISPF in the failing system and
the one that worked using ISPF option 0 (set Parms)
Hi,
Roland
Harold Grovesteen
2005-03-28 10:55:20 UTC
The real question is: How does TSO know what the terminal can or can not
do? TSO may know because it was told directly or VTAM told it when you
logged onto TSO. Check TSO termincal definitions and VTAM LOGMODE (BIND
image) and LU definitions for settings that would allow or disallow
enhanced coloring.

With the assumption that in both cases (the original poster) and the
below reply concerning a SYSPLEX environment are using OS-based TCP/IP,
the TN3270 server uses programmed Secondary Logical Units (SLU's) to
communicate with the Primary Logical Unit application, TSO. In this
environment when you connect to TSO, the VTAM logon exit within TSO is
presented with information about the secondary Logical Unit's
capabilities (the TN3270 client emulator in this case). These
capabilities come from both the Secondary Logical Unit definitions and
SNA BIND image data. From this TSO and ISPF conclude the device can
not support the desired settings. There may also be some TSO
parameters which are overriding the information from VTAM. I have never
worked with TSO at that level only VTAM and TCP/IP.

The programmed SLU's are defined in the TELNET VTAM APPL major node and
the LOGMODE's in the VTAM LOGMODE table. Frequently an SLU definition
may have a default LOGMODE defined which is used if the SLU does not
provide one during the logon process. My guess is that either the
incorrect LOGMODE is defined in the TELNET definitions in general or
those relating to TSO specifically or in the VTAM TELNET APPL major
node. Usually the default LOGMODE table comes with a bunch of
predefined 3270 LOGMODE's. You just need to find the one you want that
allows enhanced color usage and code it in the appropriate location.

This would also explain the SYSPLEX problem. My suspicions would be
that when the stand alone system was disconnected from the SYSPLEX its
TN3270 related definitions were not the same as the TN3270 definitions
used when connecting to the SYSPLEX. When disconnected, you connected
directly to the standalone system but when part of the SYSPLEX you
connected to the same TELNET address space and cross-domain connected to
whichever system you wanted to work with. Administration of the
stand-alone test system probably was not maintained in sync with the
production environment. Just a suspicion.

You will need to do some hunting in manuals to find the correct
parameter locations and settings to do what you want. What I have
outlined should be available in Communications Server manuals. Someone
else may be able to assist on the TSO side of things. You may need to
change TSO, VTAM, TELNET and the Emulator settings to get it all to work.

Harold Grovesteen
Post by ddkulas
I worked at an insurance company in Milwaukee for awhile and ran into
the same problem. Our production system was fine. It worked. We had a
small standalone system used for testing. This problem came up in that
test system. I talked to the systems people and they were not
interested in pursuing it because it only occured when the standalone
system was taken out of the SYSPLEX for testing.
I do know that I used the same emulator with the same settings when it
worked and when it failed. Therefore I dont think it was the emulator.
I also had the same terminal defied to ISPF in the failing system and
the one that worked using ISPF option 0 (set Parms)
Post by Roland Grießbach
Hi,
I'm not able to aktivate the "HILITE" modus
in ISPF EDIT using hercules and terminal
emulation. Tried different emulators
(QWS3270, QWS3270Plus, IBM Personal
Invalid terminal Enhanced coloring is not
available on this terminal because the
terminal does not support extended
highlighting.
Any idea what to do, to get this function
working.
Thanks in advance
Roland
http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129crv143/M=298184.6191685.7192823.3001176/D=groups/S=1707281942:HM/EXP=1112053518/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>
2005-03-28 13:03:22 UTC
i think the problem are terminals with a cuaddr in the IODF and unit
type=3277.
Maybe the following parameters are in the VTAM majornode:
CUADDR=AAA,
DLOGMOD=xxxxxx,
USSTAB=xxxxxx,
MODETAB=AMODETAB,
FEATUR2=(MODEL2,SELPEN),
ISTATUS=ACTIVE,
TERM=3277

Use a terminal with 3278 , 3279 definitions (IODF and VTAM) and 3278 or 3279
type in the 3270 emulation

If you use a Telnet Server, use 3278 or 3279-3 in your 3270 emulation.
and be sure you get a telnetdevice 3278, 3279 (Telnet Server Config).

If you use the hercules emulator and you connect to hercules on your
cnslport (3270 ? definition in the hercules config) , then you get a cuaddr on your
screen before vtam starts. Look to your hercules config , find the cuaddr.
what is the device type for these address (3270?) ? TSO/ISPF can't use the
HILITE Option.

I think the terminal type ist the problem, the logmode is all the same

Roland Grießbach
2005-03-28 17:22:49 UTC
Hi to all,
the problem is solved if I connect via TCP/IP Port 23. This works fine
thanks to all
best regards
Roland
Harold Grovesteen
2005-03-30 10:05:33 UTC
Just out of curiosity, when using port 23, did you connect to the Telnet
server in the Hercules guest OS or the embedded Telnet server within
Hercules device emulation?

Harold Grovesteen
Roland
Roland Grießbach